ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Heaviest load ever moved on British roads (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/990366-heaviest-load-ever-moved-on-british-roads.html)

Cockney Wideboy 18 November 2013 03:14 PM

There must be a reason and i would guess it road layout, weak bridges along the way etc...but taking it to Bristol to then float it all the way round to Hull and then move it by road again to Nottingham seems a bloody long way round...

why not drive it straight to Nottingham? would have made more sense...interested to know why such an arse about face route was chosen, there must be a perfectly valid reason...surely:wonder:

Wurzel 18 November 2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11267986)
Hang on Neil, haven't the Germans ALREADY decided to phase out nuclear power in favour of coal-fired?

Some time last year, afaik?

There was a plan to shut them all down by 2011 but they realised if tehy did that half the country would be back in the stone age so they had to come up with another solution. Then after the Jap Tsunami they revisited the idea and decided to shut them all down ASAP. No idea when it will be though.

neil-h 18 November 2013 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11267986)
Hang on Neil, haven't the Germans ALREADY decided to phase out nuclear power in favour of coal-fired?

Some time last year, afaik?

The Germans decided to phase out nuclear power not long after the Fukushima disaster. Now i'm not sure what they planned to replace it with, although a quick Google suggests there planning on going green.

CrisPDuk 18 November 2013 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cockney Wideboy (Post 11268000)
There must be a reason and i would guess it road layout, weak bridges along the way etc...but taking it to Bristol to then float it all the way round to Hull and then move it by road again to Nottingham seems a bloody long way round...

why not drive it straight to Nottingham? would have made more sense...interested to know why such an arse about face route was chosen, there must be a perfectly valid reason...surely:wonder:

Probably something to do with the ground between Didcot & Nottingham being like Swiss cheese with all the abandoned mines?

Cockney Wideboy 18 November 2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 11268011)
Probably something to do with the ground between Didcot & Nottingham being like Swiss cheese with all the abandoned mines?

hmmm, i find it hard to believe that...most mines get back filled once they are decommissioned, plus they will be many hundreds of meters down with millions of tons of rock above them...an extra 640tons will go unregistered...

there are also a lot of disused mines in Yorkshire as well, which it will have to pass over from port to Nottingham.