ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Hidden costs of buying a house? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/989828-hidden-costs-of-buying-a-house.html)

Matteeboy 11 November 2013 06:56 PM

Stamp duty can pi55 right off.
Partly why we still rent. Current plan is to possibly buy this place; it's officially two houses (we pay two council taxes on it) so if we can get both at just under £250k, we are laughing.
If not, renting suits us and our business just fine.

tony de wonderful 11 November 2013 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron1978 (Post 11261501)
Who knew how reading 'flight' as 'fight' could get you so angry:D

Ah an interesting parapraxis or Freudian slip lol.

fatscoobfella1 11 November 2013 07:24 PM

What is " white flight"?

Dingdongler 11 November 2013 07:27 PM

Tony, you never answered the question. I respect that it is your money and therefore your choice but what worries you about not living in an area that is 99% white?

tony de wonderful 11 November 2013 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11261538)
Tony, you never answered the question. I respect that it is your money and therefore your choice but what worries you about not living in an area that is 99% white?

Nothing. So are you saying that all people who have moved to the area I am talking about are all racist?

Dingdongler 11 November 2013 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11261545)
Nothing. So are you saying that all people who have moved to the area I am talking about are all racist?

I'm not calling you or anybody else a racist.

I'm just asking you why you previously said you want to live somewhere that has people only born in the UK and somewhere that shows on the census as being 99% white. What is it about skin colour other than white that makes you not want to live somewhere?

Just seems a bit odd and paranoid

tony de wonderful 11 November 2013 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11261565)
I'm not calling you or anybody else a racist.

I'm just asking you why you previously said you want to live somewhere that has people only born in the UK and somewhere that shows on the census as being 99% white. What is it about skin colour other than white that makes you not want to live somewhere?

Just seems a bit odd and paranoid

I never said I wanted to live somewhere that was 99% white per se, please learn some reading comprehension. I was just noting a fact about the place I was planning to live in.

Yes I would prefer to live in an area with people who are native English speakers and born here. The facts about 'white flight' make me quite normal here.

tarmac terror 11 November 2013 09:09 PM

If I ever buy another house, I will be making sure the garden is in perfect condition. The cost of doing up a garden, far outweighs what I have spend doing up the internals.

Dingdongler 11 November 2013 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11261572)
I never said I wanted to live somewhere that was 99% white per se, please learn some reading comprehension. I was just noting a fact about the place I was planning to live in.

Yes I would prefer to live in an area with people who are native English speakers and born here. The facts about 'white flight' make me quite normal here.

Fair enough.

Can you please explain what white flight means and why you're a part of it?

Midlife...... 11 November 2013 11:06 PM

TDW

I'm confused for the reason for your original post ?

are you boasting that you can afford to buy another house to rent out?

Just a simple question requiring a simple answer.........like the start to Lorna Doone

Shaunb

tony de wonderful 11 November 2013 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 11261786)
TDW

I'm confused for the reason for your original post ?

are you boasting that you can afford to buy another house to rent out?

Just a simple question requiring a simple answer.........like the start to Lorna Doone

Shaunb

No I don't own a house. I'm a FTB'er. Unlike half of SN I don't have an extensive 'property portfolio'.

zip106 11 November 2013 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11261538)

It'll be dem darkies wid de blow-pipes and de spears dat worries 'im, bwanah....

Midlife...... 11 November 2013 11:28 PM

TDW

What's an FTB'er ?

I have a mortgage on my house which I pay off when I am 62 years old, combination of financial crises over the years and having to pay for 3 kids. Financial meltdown comes next September when I need to pay for number one son to go to uni.

Last time I moved (schools) I resigned myself to the fact I would have to work 3 years longer to pay off the mortgage.

Ah......just twigged, First time buyer.

My first time I bought a house in Manchester and 1980's........and then had to move with my job in 1987 at the time of a housing crash.... I think I lost so much money I never recovered.

Shaun

chocolate_o_brian 11 November 2013 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11261790)
It'll be dem darkies wid de blow-pipes and de spears dat worries 'im, bwanah....

:lol1::lol1:

Very good.

ditchmyster 12 November 2013 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron1978 (Post 11261501)
Who knew how reading 'flight' as 'fight' could get you so angry:D

I did actually clock that before I pressed submit reply, but thought i'd leave it as the sentiment behind his post is clear to see.:thumb:

And ;) it's not anger it's dis-belief.:D

ditchmyster 12 November 2013 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by tarmac terror (Post 11261656)
If I ever buy another house, I will be making sure the garden is in perfect condition. The cost of doing up a garden, far outweighs what I have spend doing up the internals.

Really?

I've never spent much on our garden, but I suppose that's because us wogs like to keep the back garden looking like a jungle so we feel at home, though it's a bit of a bugger trying to get enough bananas and coconuts to grow in this climate.:D

andylinney 12 November 2013 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11261663)

Fair enough.

Can you please explain what white flight means and why you're a part of it?

Digging through the brain from leaving Uni in 2001...

White flight is a well documented movement of people out of a certain geographical area following an influx of people from other areas that have their own defining cultures or characteristics. So, think of any of the predominantly ethnic areas in the UK and you have an example of it. Bradford, Birmingham Brixton all have high concentrations of BME people who are perhaps forth or fifth generation immigrants. As the original population moves out, more of the ethnic groups move into an area that is seen to be accepting and increasingly geared towards their way of life for example places of worship and shops selling familiar foods and produce.

Interestingly it's the exact same process that TDW explained, people prefer in the most part to be amongst 'similar' people and when the original inhabitants of an area start to feel squeezed out, they move to areas that are seen to be accepting and geared towards their own way of life.

This is true of any community or social group and not limited to skin colour or religion. Think if you will of Canal Street in Manchester or San Francisco and their high concentration of homosexuals, the leafy suburbs with their high concentration of professionals and golfers.

Defining racism in this context is really difficult. I'm Liverpuddlian by birth, spent a significant amount of time living in Scotland and now live in a very Welsh part of North Wales, to the extent that I'm having to learn Welsh in order to keep up. So, I guess I'm in areas where I don't always fit-in, where I can't find the things I normally buy and speak in my own language, so in this case, I'm the minority.

But, if there was a place nearby with English speaking chippys open 24 hours a day, cheap V-Power, no expectation to learn a new language might I be tempted to move?

What if you're my next door neighbour and over time I start to introduce those things? Might you be tempted to move to a place that felt like home?

That movement of people is called 'White Flight'...

Here's a bit more info if you fancy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_f...United_Kingdom

Aaron1978 12 November 2013 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11261868)
I did actually clock that before I pressed submit reply, but thought i'd leave it as the sentiment behind his post is clear to see.:thumb:

And ;) it's not anger it's dis-belief.:D

:thumb:

tony de wonderful 12 November 2013 03:02 PM

Yeah that is a good summary, one can argue about 'causes' of course, my feeling is that people like to be with 'people like themselves', that way people feel like they can trust each other and feel more comfortable. Of course not many of them would be explicitly or consciously 'racist' per se. There are a whole host of 'markers' of difference not limited to 'race' but includes class, accent, tastes, sexuality, hobbies, politics, etc.

Dingdongler 12 November 2013 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11262182)
Yeah that is a good summary, one can argue about 'causes' of course, my feeling is that people like to be with 'people like themselves', that way people feel like they can trust each other and feel more comfortable. Of course not many of them would be explicitly or consciously 'racist' per se. There are a whole host of 'markers' of difference not limited to 'race' but includes class, accent, tastes, sexuality, hobbies, politics, etc.

Not really because you don't know someones taste, sexuality, hobbies or politics from just walking past them in the street.

What will be immediately apparent though is the colour of their skin.

andylinney 12 November 2013 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11262200)

Not really because you don't know someones taste, sexuality, hobbies or politics from just walking past them in the street.

What will be immediately apparent though is the colour of their skin.

Unless of course, like in the case of Brighton or Manchester with their large gay communities, it's well documented and in common knowledge.

I'm not for a second defending the indefensible however the name White Flight is just the one that was coined back in the 1900's to describe the phenomenon that was observed in the USA. The actual movement and grouping of communities based on a common denominator is as old as the hills.

Dingdongler 12 November 2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by andylinney (Post 11262231)
Unless of course, like in the case of Brighton or Manchester with their large gay communities, it's well documented and in common knowledge.

I'm not for a second defending the indefensible however the name White Flight is just the one that was coined back in the 1900's to describe the phenomenon that was observed in the USA. The actual movement and grouping of communities based on a common denominator is as old as the hills.

Is there a large gay community in Brighton then?:D

Aaron1978 12 November 2013 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11262285)
Is there a large gay community in Brighton then?:D

I know where you'll be buying your next property.........

:D

Dingdongler 12 November 2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron1978 (Post 11262350)
I know where you'll be buying your next property.........

:D

Next door to you then!:D

Aaron1978 12 November 2013 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11262360)
Next door to you then!:D

Actually, I live down Canal Street in Manchester :razz:

zip106 12 November 2013 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron1978 (Post 11262394)
Actually, I live down Canal Street in Manchester :razz:

Ding lives in San Fran.

Dingdongler 12 November 2013 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11262403)
Ding lives in San Fran.

And Zip comes out to visit me every year!:luxhello:

Aaron1978 12 November 2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11262435)
And Zip comes out to visit me every year!:luxhello:

Does he come on this:D

http://www.boy-toy.org/upload/Humour/GayPlaneTail.jpg

Dingdongler 12 November 2013 08:58 PM

Only whilst he's waiting for the paint job to dry on his new personal jet.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x.../gaythread.jpg

andylinney 12 November 2013 09:51 PM

Oh dear, are we all giggling because someone said gay?

Astonishing that if someone mentions race people get indignant and are deeply offended yet still feel it's okay to actively deride the LGBT community.

Hmm, never mind.