ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Anyone running a 6 speed in a classic? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/986847-anyone-running-a-6-speed-in-a-classic.html)

tubbytommy 06 October 2013 06:39 PM

the wrx gearbox is best dickmyster told me and he once beat a ferrari in a rover.

rooferman 06 October 2013 07:09 PM

A Landrover ... ! Lol...

joe v3sti 06 October 2013 09:02 PM

The question is are the jdm 6speeds really worth the extra over the uk box's ??
I'll be honest I love the short ratios in my Sti Ra. And If I'm honest is partly why I bought the car, therefor fitting a uk 6 speed seems a bit backward. A jdm one would be a bit more in keeping with the eithos of an RA. But are they that much better?

Joe

MattyB1983 06 October 2013 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by rooferman (Post 11228259)
There are many who would say there not very strong...

Some would say the same about a 6 speed. I've read many posts about broken 6 speeds.

rooferman 06 October 2013 09:38 PM

Yeah at 600 plus...

rooferman 06 October 2013 09:45 PM

But certainly not brand new gearkits failing like Ppg....

There rated torque figure was a joke a few years back.....

MattyB1983 06 October 2013 10:04 PM

Ditch started a thread a while back asking about broken 6 speeds and I remember quite a few came forward, many of which running not much power.
I think modern ppg gear kits are pretty good, its deffo the route id take but id also have the uprated 5th.

Its no doubt cheaper going with a second hand 6 speed, and they are really coming down in price. But you're still looking at the best part of 2 grand all in and the risk of it being a wrongun. I know Ian from here bought a cheap but 'good' 6 speeder that turned out to be more trouble than its worth.

rooferman 06 October 2013 10:15 PM

That's a fair view Matty....

Anything over 450 I would opt for a 6 speed.

Seen too many failures with ppg....6 speed is fit and forget upto a certain figure of power/torque...which most will rarely get too....

Me included...:),

MattyB1983 06 October 2013 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by rooferman (Post 11228632)
That's a fair view Matty....

Anything over 450 I would opt for a 6 speed.

Seen too many failures with ppg....6 speed is fit and forget upto a certain figure of power/torque...which most will rarely get too....

Me included...:),

Yep, theres no doubting that a good 6 speed is a fantastic upgrade and like you say, can take lots and lots of power. I think clive is still using a 6 speed at over 700 for example.
I just like the 5 speed so for me a new gear kit would be the way. I would deffo go with the uprated 5th as well though as most people just keep the standard 5th which in my opinion defeats the object.

I suppose its each to there own but either way is a great upgrade if heading for 450 and beyond :thumb:

rooferman 06 October 2013 10:58 PM

Just dont expect ppg to help when going beyond ..

You will be on your own .. :)

serpico 07 October 2013 09:49 AM

Cheers for the info Matty. I don't want to spend more than 1.5 to 2k really. So my only option is 6 speed or run my 5 speed till it goes & hope I've saved enough for a ppg in the mean time!

JGlanzaV 07 October 2013 10:14 AM

Wouldn tbother with a ppg box, exorbitant costs and seen an awful lot fail at not lot of power!

My 6speed is at 535hp for 20k miles and now needs a rebuild,

53 07 October 2013 10:25 AM

For a track car I'd go for the early JDM boxes as they like to be driven and stirred with great acceleration in 5th and 6th :)

For a road car I love my 2002 6 Speed from a Prodrive STi :) gears are well spaced for hard driving but also for relaxed cruising in 5th and 6th :) You can select 5th for anything over 30 and 6th over 40. In my JDM box you need to be doing 40 for 5th and 50 for 6th :) Which isn't great for mpg on the road. On track I couldn't care less :D