ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What gadget is waiting to be invented/ developed? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/970429-what-gadget-is-waiting-to-be-invented-developed.html)

Mog 01 April 2013 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11043902)
If you want to be really nerdy: Then for me its a minimum of 1600 lines (2560x1600 WQXGA ) in a 24" to 26" LCD monitor with a IPS panel, matrix lit LED backlights with local dimming that can be driven at over 120hz with a response rate to match. With at least 8bit colour.

Or better still 2880x1800.

At this point of writing, No such monitor exists.

Not nerdy enough? OK try this; Diversity aerial support for aftermarket car radios (and DAB support), at this point there aren't that work with Diversity systems...you have to use adapters which are all rubbish and never work properly as they just make the system into a single aerial system, and the factory aerials aren't designed to work in that manner, so reception is rubbish (I've had to replace and re-wire the entire aerial system in my Golf as the original diversity roof and rear glass aerial just simply wouldn't play ball).

Oh yes and a LCD or Plasma TV with decent built in audio. Or at least an attempt to make it decent (they don't even bother now).

OK I have a A/V system for the living room, but seriously I'm seriously investigating on getting a sound bar for the 20" kitchen TV, as its so tinny I simply can't hear it; its like listening to music on a speakerphone (for me that's like scraping fingernails down a blackboard).

Its annoying as it is possible and worse still, its been done in the past...I have a 10year old Hitachi Plasma in the bedroom. Its picture quality is awful (early 6 bit panel). However despite its poor picture one thing that makes it shine is it has half decent audio quality....the speakers are housed in bass-reflex enclosures with dampening material and ported to improve lower frequency response, the drivers themselves are 12"x3" elliptical cones which gives the biggest cone area whilst still remaining narrow, the speakers are forward facing so the listener gets proper stereo imaging and if that's not enough it has a sub woofer output, so a active sub can be plugged in without the need for a A/V receiver. It also has quite a punchy amplifier built in...a Tripath TA2021, a more powerful version of the iconic TA2020 which was one of the first decent class-D amplifiers.

Whereas in £1500 worth of Panasonic gets you three pathetic 3" speakers facing rear and downwards and bolted to the frame behind the rear cover without any form of enclosure. Both sides of the speakers are fully vented in a dipole arrangement (if you can even call it a dipole). But its not a proper dipole speaker as the entire rear of the TV has ventilation holes so there is pretty much zero separation between the front and rear of the speakers. So all the sound waves created by the rear of the speaker is cancelled out by the front....the result is tinny audio. Which pretty much every flat panel TV suffers from. Small speaker don't have to be tinny, all they need is simple shaped enclosures around the speakers (Bose's waveguide is a credit to this), this would massively improve their sound reproduction....what would that cost?...probably a extra £10 in plastics and manufacture, if that! :mad:

As you can guess...I'm a little anal on speaker enclosure design. :o But its actually a pretty simple science, easily within the grasp of any TV manufacturer.

We are in the process of revamping the lounge and have gone the Sonos route with a playbar and sub, the wife also has a separate unit for her therapy room. Very impressed so far and can be contolled from a smart phone if desired.

The wife has already worked out that if the tv is too loud whilst she is in another room she can alter it lol.

Sti Addict 01 April 2013 11:52 PM

x ray specs??

Peedee 02 April 2013 12:29 AM

Something that stops ***** from quick-scoping on COD. Damn I hate those people.

Boro 02 April 2013 12:54 AM

Never-ending windscreen washer bottle that collects rain water, cleans it, adds a dose of concentrated screenwash then tops up the washer bottle.

Patent Pending lol

Graz 02 April 2013 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 11043032)
To me, its a customisable, touchscreen remote control. About the size of an iphone, but from your pc you can customise the screen. I'd have a home page with tv, music, films icons. Tap the tv icon and its straight to your favourites. Tap the music icon and its play, stop and mute.

Etc,etc. No more unecesarry buttons, no more remotes where 70% of the buttons are for setting the dam thing up, then never used again.

Three hard buttons along the side, volume up and down, and mute.

I wish.........................

Samsung Galaxy S4 has an IR blaster. Expect lots of Android apps doing what you describe soon.

And as mentioned Logitech have been doing so pretty good remotes up till now...

Mog 02 April 2013 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Graz (Post 11045260)
Samsung Galaxy S4 has an IR blaster. Expect lots of Android apps doing what you describe soon.

And as mentioned Logitech have been doing so pretty good remotes up till now...

I sure Logitech have recently pulled the plug on the remote side of their business.

Luan Pra bang 03 April 2013 05:26 PM

An iphone that works properly ?

mgcvk 03 April 2013 09:58 PM

Where's my Jetpack?

urban 04 April 2013 11:43 AM

A teleportation device so that we can get rid of a load of migrants quickly and easily

ALi-B 04 April 2013 01:39 PM

A smartphone/computer that doesn't need any software updates...ever!