ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Top Gear on top form :) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/967673-top-gear-on-top-form.html)

SI07WRX 11 March 2013 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Jo (Post 11012949)
I know there is another Top Gear thread but most of the comments make the TG presenters look like Mensa applicants :D

You may have just added to the original thread. looking at the comments here. ;)

I enjoy TG, but I don't expect it to be realistic, just silly.

Realism perhaps try Fifth Gear:wonder:

Tidgy 11 March 2013 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by SI07WRX (Post 11020516)
Realism perhaps try Fifth Gear:wonder:

nah 5th gear just copy top gear all the time, but cant do the big things cos they dont have the budget lol

tubbytommy 11 March 2013 01:48 PM

its an entertainment programme not a car programme, its entertaining and popular thats why its still going.

if people think its real and not at all staged then they probably need help tying there shoes in the morning.

f1_fan 11 March 2013 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 11020499)
I think it is entirely the point that he does know.

However, for me that sort of messing about does let them down.

The stuff about taking bits off each car (and the rear window out the scooby fitting the BMW) is just daft for the sake of being daft.

It would actually be better if they did it more of a Long Way Round style and were just honest. I think it insults the viewer becase apart from that it was excellent seeing what could be done, the views, the roads etc. All excellent viewing just let down (slightly) by the "this is TG we need to mess about a bit" mentality.

But while I find the 'messing about a bit' mentality annoying it would not be half as popular if they didn't do it. The thing is in that programme last night there was something for everyone. Overall I enjoyed it!

The fact it is set up and part way contrived is obvious and unsurprising, it's how TV programmes are made. They would be a lot less interesting to most people if nothing ever happened.

Dr Hu 11 March 2013 02:35 PM

I love Top Gear, but even I found the 'stealing' bits off each others cars a bit annoying in the end... But I generally enjoyed the prog.

The wheel/tyre swapping was'nt really pointed out - they all ended up on much higher profile rubber than they started with...

fivetide 11 March 2013 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11020552)
But while I find the 'messing about a bit' mentality annoying it would not be half as popular if they didn't do it. The thing is in that programme last night there was something for everyone. Overall I enjoyed it!

The fact it is set up and part way contrived is obvious and unsurprising, it's how TV programmes are made. They would be a lot less interesting to most people if nothing ever happened.

I don't disagree that's how programmes are made, i'm not daft and i work in the media.

However, with a journey like that it was entertaining enough without that additional need for the ott stuff. Would have been fine to just stay with reality because that alone, the traffic, the goat meat etc, was all perfectly funny and entertaining.

Scooby Jo 11 March 2013 08:28 PM

I loved it when Jezza spotted some of his door missing and the realisation of where it had gone :)

I also know that the mechanics would have worked on the Scooby all night, cos it makes for a better programme if they're all in it :thumb:

Three grown fellas behaving like kids, going round the world and driving some amazing cars. What a job!

f1_fan 11 March 2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 11020751)
I don't disagree that's how programmes are made, i'm not daft and i work in the media.

However, with a journey like that it was entertaining enough without that additional need for the ott stuff. Would have been fine to just stay with reality because that alone, the traffic, the goat meat etc, was all perfectly funny and entertaining.

And while I agree with you I guess the programme makers feel it would not have the same viewing figures if they did that. Whether they're right or not I guess we'll never know.

corradoboy 12 March 2013 09:28 AM

The best bit for me was Hammond's smile when he was blitzing those Ugandan hills. As a former Scooby owner I know exactly how he felt, and for once I know he wasn't smiling for the camera :D

fivetide 12 March 2013 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 11021528)
The best bit for me was Hammond's smile when he was blitzing those Ugandan hills. As a former Scooby owner I know exactly how he felt, and for once I know he wasn't smiling for the camera :D

Exactly my point. That was great TV.

Saxo Boy 12 March 2013 12:01 PM

Log through the back window of the BM had me in stitches! I'm not even sure if/how they could set that up; that one may have been pure chance?

phoenixgold 12 March 2013 02:07 PM

Doubt it. You'd have used a shorter rope to avoid it being thrown up.

ian.e 12 March 2013 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Jo (Post 11020064)
Hats off to Hammond for fixing the Scooby :notworthy

Guess he missed the lower arm recall. :norty:

Paucatuman 13 March 2013 05:10 PM

Love it or hate it, watch it or don't.

I think sometimes the programme is weak, sometimes it is really stupid and unfunny but sometimes it is brilliant and I thought this Africa special got the balance absolutely spot on.

I loved it. (for what it's worth)