ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Best GC8 tuners in the UK (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/954095-best-gc8-tuners-in-the-uk.html)

ditchmyster 27 October 2012 02:28 PM

I'd listen to rooferman and have some very long chats with those tuners.

And add another £15k if you want to be competative, because your engine will swallow the £15k on it's own, if you want one that will take the hammer, shame you just missed a built 2.35 going for £7k which cost £12k to build, just to give you an idea of cost and thats without ancillaries.

And lol at brembo's you'll be needing a set of AP 6 pots, but at least you will be able to sell the brembo's for half of what the AP's will cost if you buy right.

Don't mean to be rude or a harbinger of doom and gloom, but the costs WILL spiral and your going for 450 WHP which IS very expensive if done for the road let alone for competition, where it will live at full chat all the time, Andy f spoke about this a while back on 22b, id also get myself on there if i were you because a lot of the guys that have the real knowledge about big competition builds hand out there.;)

The main thing is do it right FIRST time or there will be a large bag of wasted cash.

Good luck, and stick a thread up in the projects section so we can see how you get on.:thumb:

SkullFudge 27 October 2012 02:56 PM

Wise advice there by ditch ^^^

It may prove more expensive but getting the initial build right will save you fortunes if you are to use it in competition.

Brakes and engine temps are far more violent on track and can't be compared to a 5 minutes blast on the roads.

mad paddy 27 October 2012 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by SkullFudge (Post 10845352)
THAT sums up the scene.

Dave Y ...... We are all to assume you have been asked to post that comment.
To suggest such things (baring in mind Lennard's intensions) is total stupidity.

:lol1::lol1:

Moley 27 October 2012 03:13 PM

TBH you're better off selling the Type R, then use the money you get for that + the £15k and get a car that's already been built.

MUCH cheaper.

rooferman 27 October 2012 04:50 PM

Only downside to that is jumping straight in to a built competition car with massive power that has not been tailored to your specific ability....

You don't get to grow with the car and feel the changes progressively....which can be an advantage when its based on the sprint series which means driving the car at 100% for only 10 to 16 laps for a day.

But yes...would be a cheaper way to get the vehicle.

I used to think I drove mine on trackdays at 100% of the cars and my ability....

Not in the same league once your trailering the car and competing ! I have learnt massively this year from the sprint series..

need4speeduk 27 October 2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by rooferman (Post 10845487)
Only downside to that is jumping straight in to a built competition car with massive power that has not been tailored to your specific ability....

Now what sort of person would be stupid enough to do that ? :D

Dave Y 27 October 2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by SkullFudge (Post 10845352)
THAT sums up the scene.

Dave Y ...... We are all to assume you have been asked to post that comment.
To suggest such things (baring in mind Lennard's intensions) is total stupidity.

it was a joke.it is fcuking stupidity to think i was serious!!:cuckoo:

stevie1982 27 October 2012 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 10845542)

I think he meant why suggest that to a new member who wouldn't have any idea of the back stories, hence it being a stupid post and could land a new member without any previous experience in a bad place

SkullFudge 27 October 2012 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 10845542)

That's quite a funny answer :lol: :thumb:

You can never tell with them as they count on there little gang of followers to assist

Dave Y 27 October 2012 05:40 PM

just because i put one name up Lennard is going to spend £15,000. Get real.
I think there are enough "Experts" on here to put him right.

Dave Y 27 October 2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by SkullFudge (Post 10845552)
That's quite a funny answer :lol: :thumb:

You can never tell with them as they count on there little gang of followers to assist

i can assure you i am not one of SP's followers.
I will admit i drive past Ledbury on my way to Leominster.:lol:

rooferman 27 October 2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by need4speeduk (Post 10845517)
Now what sort of person would be stupid enough to do that ? :D

Lol...wasn't aimed at you matt .... Honestly.

See ya Monday...I want a passenger lap in the beast btw...

Dave Y 27 October 2012 05:46 PM

Just in case

Lennard I Was Joking

mickywrx 27 October 2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by rooferman (Post 10845563)
Lol...wasn't aimed at you matt .... Honestly

You're not a very good liar, Adam. ;)

Matt's mental the way he went about it, but, he's learnt a lot by doing so. :thumb:

Most of his learning was on the grass instead of the tarmac though. :D

rooferman 27 October 2012 07:01 PM

Mmm....the grass could do with a trim at curborough on monday.

Lol....

JP4 27 October 2012 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 10845363)
The main thing is do it right FIRST time or there will be a large bag of wasted cash.

Spot on!

need4speeduk 27 October 2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 10845660)
You're not a very good liar, Adam. ;)

Matt's mental the way he went about it, but, he's learnt a lot by doing so. :thumb:

Most of his learning was on the grass instead of the tarmac though. :D

I was merely taking short cuts :lol1:

Originally Posted by rooferman (Post 10845723)
Mmm....the grass could do with a trim at curborough on monday.

Lol....

Leave it out. I'm still finding gravel from Brands.

Although I can't make out if the grass is from Silverstone or Coombe

I have quite a collection now

mickywrx 27 October 2012 10:04 PM

:thumb: :D

rooferman 27 October 2012 10:07 PM

Ha haa.....

CREWJ 27 October 2012 11:23 PM

All the usuals have been thrown out there;

Scooby Clinic
RCM
TDRacing
Zen Performance
Andy Forrest
API

Fat Boy 28 October 2012 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by CREWJ (Post 10846111)
All the usuals have been thrown out there;

Scooby Clinic
RCM
TDRacing
Zen Performance
Andy Forrest
API

Never heard of TD Tuning and Andy F maps cars but doesn't build them for punters (builds his own obviously)

CREWJ 28 October 2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 10846214)
Never heard of TD Tuning and Andy F maps cars but doesn't build them for punters (builds his own obviously)

That's Thwaites Developments in Warwick. they build the Pro-R time attack car.

The Gaffer 28 October 2012 03:23 PM

Hi,

one of the best ways to get a feel for your choice of tuner is to pop in and see them, ask for a tour of the workshops, engine building facilities, body shop and mapping dept including rolling road facilities, this should give you a good feel for their comitmenmt, experience and enthusiasum. :thumb:

You can only get a certain amount of feel over the phone or from a magazine artical which is why we have released a series of home made videos to showcase what we do here at the clinic and thats everything Subaru under one roof, sorry two. :D

https://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Give us a call, ask for me or sipmply pop in, we are open 6 days a week.

Cheers

kev

Paul C 28 October 2012 05:38 PM

Chevron motorsport of Stafford were running my car and John felsteads car in this years 2012 mlr/22b sprints series and we finished 1st and 2nd in class S2. Chevron also did work on a few other entries in the same class and they had improved results!
Well worth a call/meet see where you want to go. Simons a top guy and won't tell you any bull.

Lennard 28 October 2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Paulo Spec c (Post 10846720)
Chevron motorsport of Stafford were running my car and John felsteads car in this years 2012 mlr/22b sprints series and we finished 1st and 2nd in class S2. Chevron also did work on a few other entries in the same class and they had improved results!
Well worth a call/meet see where you want to go. Simons a top guy and won't tell you any bull.

Interesting, however their website is terrible, if this is them: http://www.chevronmotorsport.com/

I'll put them on the list to call.

Paul C 28 October 2012 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lennard (Post 10846855)
Interesting, however their website is terrible, if this is them: http://www.chevronmotorsport.com/

I'll put them on the list to call.

Under construction I believe.

Paul

Paul C 28 October 2012 07:29 PM

Just to add we didn't have huge power either, I was running stock spec c engine and stock turbo all year (circa 350bhp) except the last two sprints where I had Owen developments brand new twin scroll turbo (circa 400).
There is a lot more to gain with a decent geo setup over a 15k+ engine built.

APIDavid 29 October 2012 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10844783)
xspec

Gone I believe.

scoobybry! 29 October 2012 11:52 AM

When i look at tuners/engine builders ect i look at what they do and have done in the Subaru racing scene ect. For instance i use the Scooby clinic where else can you go and see proven race cars sat there that have just come in from all different class's of racing and competed at the top levels, not only on the track and drag strip but now in rallying with the Help for Hero's rally car. This has also just competed against ken Block and crew at Santa Pod this weekend and did very well to say it was built to grip and not break away on tarmac !

They have raced in and normally won all the big race series time attack over many years the lists are endless ect !!

All this Knowledge then gets built and used in our road cars and engine builds !!

This is just my opinion of course and i am sure you will find the right tuner for your needs :thumb:

Tidgy 29 October 2012 12:22 PM

Asking whose the best tuner is like saying what color is the best scoob lol

To much BS and hidden agenda's to get a real answer.

As suggested go visit a few, see what you think, clinic also do all my work but i would use API as well and not many others.