ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   When will the scoobynet shop be functional?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/94682-when-will-the-scoobynet-shop-be-functional.html)

bioforger 13 May 2002 03:25 PM

oops :D insulting I think not, no offence was meant Shaun. Its just I as many others are just a bit sick of hearing the same old thing over n over again from the mods on here. If you cant support the services take them down, and tell people theyre no longer available. Otherwise ppl will continue to ask wont they, and at times get annoyed.

Shaun 13 May 2002 04:05 PM

Sorry, this doesn't explain things at all. You are suggesting there are three separate entities:
1) Scoobynet
2) Scoobynet BBS
3) Scoobynet Ltd.
......meaning whatever you wanted to call them (there IS ONLY ONE company).

Regards,
Shaun.

[Edited by Shaun - 5/13/2002 4:06:50 PM]

carl 13 May 2002 04:29 PM

I'm not sure if your cryptic answers are just an unfortunate coincidence of your writing style, or a deliberate attempt at obfuscation :confused:

Blow Dog 13 May 2002 05:44 PM

I've been reading this thread with interest, but I want to throw this at you.

Scoobynet are always mentioning the fact that this is a free service, oft with threats of closure or a limitation of services. Can I remind you of the reason advertisers have relations with Scoobynet? Do you think it may have something to do with wanting members money, as consumers with a common interest? Litchfield Imports, Tyres Northampton, Powergen....are all these companies sponsors because they want to contribute to the 'good of the Subaru community'? I don't think so. Put simply, BBS users have money to spend, so these companies tempt them into spending it. The BBS just happens to be a mutual channel.

Does this not make users of this BBS customers?

Quite frankly, if Scoobynet was to pack up and leave tomorrow, someone else will take its place and start afresh. The fact that Scoobynet Ltd. is not making money is irrelevant, to suggest that it was not a commercial venture in its revised inception will do nothing other than offend its users as it implies stupidity.

If Scoobynet is not making money, can you confirm also that it has a null asset value? Because if this is the case, your users will worship the floor Scoobynet stands on for time and money has been spent without want for gain or return. Otherwise, stop trying to get us all to treat it like a charity.

Cem
www.blowdog.com

Shaun 05 October 2002 08:01 PM

Theo,

The tone of my post was pointed at the poster that gave "A Thumbsdown icon" & "Rolleyes". IMHO that is insulting and unsupporting.

I know these things need to be remided, but at the end of the day, if the time is not available, the time is not available. I physically (or anybody else) cannot work on Scoobynet full-time. If I, or others involved in Scoobynet sat on there backside all day, thinking "What is XYZ moaning about, Oh well pass me another beer mate", fair enough, an excuse could not be made. Since this isn't the case, I get quite offended (as I presume other mods do), when such posts are put up.

I myself want to hear constructive critism, but non-constructive digs don't really float my biscuit. General questions, like what the thread originator made, is not a problem ....... the poster is only asking a question, with which I answered.

Maybe the pressure of recent issues has got to me, but I hope you understand the angle I am coming from.

Regards,
Shaun.

[Edited by Shaun - 5/10/2002 8:07:02 PM]

Shaun 05 December 2002 02:55 PM

Jon,

SINCE when has Scoobynet been a business!!!!!!!!!! It IS a FREE COMMUNITY!!!!!!

Scoobynet makes NO profit and ALL of it's resources are DONATED (ie peoples time) FREE OF CHARGE.

EVERYBODY that helps Scoobyet (time wise), have full-time jobs etc etc. If the time does not exist, how can things get done.

It amazes me that people like yourself that have these views on Scoobynet, obviously have no appreciation what so ever on what is involved.

but as it stands scoobynet has 'unhappy customers' waiting for a CD which was promised 'soon' on several occasions but has yet to materialise.
There has been a statement made by Simon on a number of occasions, stating apologies for the delay....BUT the order can be cancelled if required.

Sort it out and get scoobynet moving, it is had a huge amount of publicity over the past year, now give it the backing it deserves to make it better than just 'ok'
Sorry Jon, I will TELL all the Moderators and Simon that we have to work at least 7 hrs a day to change everything.....oh yeah, the hourly rate is £0!!!! Second thoughts, perhaps if we CHARGE EVERYONE to use this site, we can then apply appropriate resources to getting things done.................no wait a minute, the community was against that idea!!!!!! Of course if you would like to give me guidance on how I can remedy such issues, please feel free to support the community, by emailing me your suggestions!!

Regards,
Shaun.

[Edited by Shaun - 5/12/2002 2:57:44 PM]

Shaun 05 December 2002 07:01 PM

Carl,

Since Scoobynet Ltd. (previously known as Naycroft Ltd.) was registered with Companies House? I would tell you the registration number and date of registration, but their website doesn't work on Sundays. I looked yesterday and I noted its last annual return was 31/7/2001.

To my mind, limited company that is not a registered charity is a 'business'.
You are absolutely correct.....

Whilst Scoobynet is part of Scoobynet Ltd (for legal reasons), Scoobynet or Scoobynet BBS do not work on a profit. Scoobynet or Scoobynet Ltd, do not employ the services of people to run the BBS (eg, moderators or developers etc). The MAIN resources that are employed, are that of the server host, which are SUBSIDISED by any banner ads sold. In the past ANY shortfall has to be covered by SIMON, which in effect makes the advertisers and SIMON the only paying "customers".

Sorry if I worded it as such (as I was not trying to deceive you), but I don't think of Scoobynet as a business as the scope is to provide a FREE service to the community. Legally it is part of Scoobynet Ltd, but this is for that specific purpose only. WE don't think of customers, as the community is what makes Scoobynet what it is, Scoobynet is just a means of allowing this community and BBS to carry on.

Regards,
Shaun.

[Edited by Shaun - 5/12/2002 7:08:52 PM]