ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Does anyone commute a looong way each day? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/94499-does-anyone-commute-a-looong-way-each-day.html)

HGV1 Driver 29 May 2002 09:00 AM

Same here used to get on train to london, now 5 mins to work on the push bike (weather permitting). Scoobs for the weekends and holidays (next week good).

Jon.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 29 May 2002 08:53 PM

I have contemplated doing an extremely long commute from Ireland to London :eek:

I'd probably only do it on a weekly basis but it is feasible as a daily :eek:

Leave home in Ireland @ 08:00, drive 40 mins to Derry Airport, catch 09:20 to Stansted, arrive 10:30 & be at work 11:30 :D

Leave work @ 17:30 & fly 19:10 & I'd be home 21:00 :)

So feasible but prefer not to. Those are really the times I leave now & generally return home too :eek:

JoeyDeacon 05 September 2002 02:05 PM

As part of my degree I had to do a year in industry and had a 70 mile round trip each day. My main memory of that year is sitting on the M25, looking at the time every 30 seconds thinking "Sh!t i'm going to be late". Trouble is the Journey was so unpredictable that sometimes I would arrive half an hour early and the worst case was when I arrived 2 hours late.

I left the job at the earliest opportunity (I think I had to do 48 weeks so didn't even take holiday so I could leave earlier) and after being there a few months I was counting the days. I still remember driving home on the last day with a massive grin on my face feeling totally relaxed knowing I would never have to do it again. I actually drive over the M25 on my way to work everyday and when I see the motorway at a standstill it takes me back to when I was part of it.

I now have a 4.5 mile journey to work and wouldn't swap even if I was offered another 10 grand a year. It's not just the stress every day but also the fact that I was wasting over 2.5 hours a day travelling.

So does that give you any idea of how much I hated it?

[Edited by JoeyDeacon - 5/9/2002 2:10:57 PM]

carpet 05 September 2002 02:46 PM

It takes me 5 mins ( 2 miles :D )to get to work now, used to take an hour, and if I stayed with my other half at my old job it was 120 miles round trip ( near on 3 hours a day in the car - if it went well !! )

personally I love being near home, can nip home if nobody is watching :D ( not that I would ever think of doing that of course :D )

dont do it, you will hate it !!

just makes your week soooo much longer - I know its a trade off between living in a nice house / area, but you will be knackered !!
even going in for 7 and leaving at 3, what if something goes tits up at work and you have to work late, youre gonna be mightily p1ssed off, my mate used to try that, but binned it after a coupla weeks....

thats my 2 pence worth ! :D

[Edited by carpet - 5/9/2002 2:48:27 PM]

John Catlin 05 September 2002 08:25 PM

Did 250 miles a day, plus travel afterI arrived.

6 miles to M4, 6 miles off M4, 113 in between going west. No real problem.

As I stopped doing this garage manager shook my hand and said how sorry he was to loose my custom.

Leave early at both ends and its not so bad.

Now only a round trip of 40 to 50 miles each day, all across country.

Most enjoyable.

All the best,

John Catlin

[Edited by John Catlin - 5/9/2002 8:26:22 PM]

Shark 05 September 2002 09:09 PM

Serious reply now

Thats a wopping 36800 miles a year (assuming a 48 week year). So thats about £3200 in diesel fuel alone. Also concider that a 80 miles journey has to take at least ;) an hour, more like hour and a half. Thats 3 hours a day, or 15 hours a week :eek:

On a bad week you could spend 20+ hours getting to and from work :eek: :eek:

Sounds a bit much to me, esp if the journey involves M25/M1/M6 (J4-12) or any other bad motorways I don't know.

IMHO - don't do it.

David

Edited cos I forgot bank hols - only rough figures anyway ;)

[Edited by Shark - 5/9/2002 9:12:23 PM]