ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2.0 N/A Fuel Consuption (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/940993-2-0-n-a-fuel-consuption.html)

The Zohan 28 June 2012 04:14 PM

TBH i would look at an 00-05 civic sport, ins grp. 13, great looks, handling and performance. bulletproof build quality and 35mpg+ all day, every day.

d4vidh 28 June 2012 04:27 PM

Rules of Scoobynet:

"I'm looking to buy a non turbo scooby"
Response:
"Dont bother they are too slow buy a turbo"

OR

"I'm looking to buy a WRX"
Response:
"Dont bother they are too slow buy an STi"

All tongue in cheek by the way folks, no harm intended ;)

MattyB1983 28 June 2012 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by d4vidh (Post 10685067)
Rules of Scoobynet:

"I'm looking to buy a non turbo scooby"
Response:
"Dont bother they are too slow buy a turbo"

OR

"I'm looking to buy a WRX"
Response:
"Dont bother they are too slow buy an STi"

All tongue in cheek by the way folks, no harm intended ;)

All true :D

panta_rei 28 June 2012 09:19 PM

My two cents (get ready for a long one): several years ago my fam. owned a 1996 Wagon 1.6 GL. Impreza, naturally. :p It was the first car we had in 20 years that had less than 10 L/100km consumption (not one of them was a performance car) at about 8 L/100km, so we considered it quite a humble and economical little car.

That car is also to blame for my love of Imprezas.

It was a measly 1.6, yet it was strong enough for the city and commuting, plus going crazy on empty roads and parking lots when it snowed.

Though, have to say it wasn't as fun in the snow as my-then Lada Riva 2104 I had around that time... rear wheel drive, longish car and about 90HP, plus a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE trunk. I easily pushed my bicycle into it's trunk when I went to attend a cycling marathon (rear seats down) without having to take off anything and there was still enough space for three more. Back then I had access to a large private parking lot that I could close and secure from the public by putting the ramps down and safely went crazy with it there, without even breaking the law. 180's with hand-brakes, Micheal Knight reverse-then-swing-around-to-drive-away-without-stopping turns, donuts, you name it.

But the Impreza was way more dependable and predictable in snow for normal driving and safer and thus of course a better choice for normal aka non crazy driving (for example if one had his parents in the car with him so couldn't really pull the hand-brake and do a powerslide through a corner).

Never really needed the dual range since it's AWD was good enough in any situation it encountered and my father taught me how to drive off even on ice.

I'll probably be burned for saying this here :p, but unless you plan on doing track days or are trying to get tickets/go to prison/kill yourself and others, a GX is more than enough, actually it's more than you'll ever need, especially with the insurance costs. You'll never get to use all it's HP on public roads, if you're intending to stay on the legal side anyway ;).

I'm hesitant suggesting a Honda, even with their bulletproof quality, because I don't know what the situation is with them in the UK. Where I live namely chavs love Hondas and the cops LUUUUUUUUUUUURVE all young men in Hondas, especially Civics. Those actually get pulled over and harrassed more by cops than any other driver. Even though the cops' time would've been better spent taking idiotic Audi, BMW, minivan/SUV and similar drivers off the roads instead...

Are there better cars than Prezas out there? Of course there are.

Are there better looking cars than Prezas? Damn right, they are. Just look at Lamborghini Aventador!

Are there faster cars? Damn right!

Are there more economic cars? Of course... nowadays it's hard to find a modern car that's a guzzler.

Unless you want the growl of a turboed 200HP-something beast that has a bigger drinking problem than Amy Winehouse and Charlie Sheen combined and will first rape you, then rob you, beat you up and finally stab you when it's time to pay insurance; and the only thing it's actually good for on public roads is looking for tunnels, then a GX is quite good enough. :thumb:

Though for commuting I would seriously recommend a 50cc scooter since it's such a short distance and that way you can save the petrol money for long weekend joyrides.

Peace!

Please don't kill me, everyone! :lol1:

lee67 29 June 2012 04:23 PM

nothing at all wrong with the N/A impreza,...i get anything from 26-34 mpg...mine also has all the mods ( and didnt make the ins daft) but i am 44...handles great good in snow, and isnt that slow..esp on todays roads..more than good enough for me, id say try one and see..