ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Top Gear tonight.... how many complaints then?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/924900-top-gear-tonight-how-many-complaints-then.html)

dpb 13 February 2012 01:53 PM

That mondeo actually looked quite good !

Gear Head 13 February 2012 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10485674)
That mondeo actually looked quite good !

I thought so.

May be I have a weird sense of humour but I laughed more last night than I have done for some time.

:thumb:

EddScott 13 February 2012 05:02 PM

Some of it was funny, some of it wasn't that great.

As for anything else to do for an hour without actually having to exert any effort it was worth watching.

corradoboy 13 February 2012 06:42 PM

I keep watching because...

a. They might just realise how bad it's got and improve back to the excellent show it used to be

b. I get paid for watching it whilst at work every Sunday night, so why not

tony de wonderful 13 February 2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 10486075)

b. I get paid for watching it whilst at work every Sunday night, so why not

The only job I can think of where you can watch TV all the time is running a mini-cab firm?:lol1:

An0n0m0us 13 February 2012 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 10486075)

a. They might just realise how bad it's got and improve back to the excellent show it used to be

You are in the minority and wont get your wish, the current format is hugely popular worldwide and a massive seller for the BBC which is why Clarkson gets away with what he does. He is too valuable to the BBC to sack over any controversy.

corradoboy 14 February 2012 08:26 AM

I detect with their recent admissions to content not being popular, that maybe someone in either the BBC or TG production is noticing a shift in peoples opinions. Many recent shows have been heavily criticised by even die hard TG fans. I think they have hit critical mass with their audience numbers, and there are few new viewers. They need to either retain what they have, or go into recession. They appear to have chosen to abandon the hard core fans and petrolheads, but as the 8yo's and women get bored and switch off, they'll have no solid base beneath them and will begin to sink. The last Xmas special (India) was awful, and the two big specials prior to that were dire too (S.America and Middle East). If they think that once the jokes have worn thin, we'll all be happy watching them review a Corsa to justify an hour of TV motoring then they are deluded. JC is no dummy, and AW certainly isn't. I think they are just like the rest of us and bored with their current jobs. The money is good, so they are stringing it along as long as they can, but lack motivation to try and make something of it. If/when the firm collapses and they are made redundant, so what, it was great whilst it lasted.

DYK 14 February 2012 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 10485095)
Forget the swearing and scripted scenes people should be complaining about Hammond's haircut! The guy looks like a ghey midget.

:lol1:

Thought some parts were amusing,i think the lets take 3 supercars to Europe trips and end up at some race track are becoming a bit repetitive though.
And the news seems to be just filling in time,why don't they actually report some real motoring related news instead of waffling on for the most part, MOVE ALONG.Been a fan of TG for years but i have been getting a bit bored with it,i'm actually thinking Hammond should be replaced though.
James is excellent,adds a bit of brains to the show,and Jezza is basically TG and a bit mad :)

Still i'm not complaining honest ;)

SirFozzalot 14 February 2012 09:46 AM

Is it a case that those that have been watching it for so long have now simply out grown it? If that's the case then I think it's time for you to move on. :) :p

corradoboy 14 February 2012 09:57 AM

I think JC has outgrown it. JM has looked bored at times often, but even Clarkson has the look of a man who's thinking 'why am I still doing this $h!t'. Hammond would do anything with a pay cheque, no matter how crap.

Zeldar 14 February 2012 02:15 PM

If you find it to be 'crap' then simply change the channel.

classic Subaru Si 14 February 2012 03:59 PM

Utter sh1te to be honest, bring back the good old days with Tiff and Quentin

An0n0m0us 14 February 2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 10486954)
I detect with their recent admissions to content not being popular, that maybe someone in either the BBC or TG production is noticing a shift in peoples opinions. Many recent shows have been heavily criticised by even die hard TG fans. I think they have hit critical mass with their audience numbers, and there are few new viewers. They need to either retain what they have, or go into recession. They appear to have chosen to abandon the hard core fans and petrolheads, but as the 8yo's and women get bored and switch off, they'll have no solid base beneath them and will begin to sink. The last Xmas special (India) was awful, and the two big specials prior to that were dire too (S.America and Middle East). If they think that once the jokes have worn thin, we'll all be happy watching them review a Corsa to justify an hour of TV motoring then they are deluded. JC is no dummy, and AW certainly isn't. I think they are just like the rest of us and bored with their current jobs. The money is good, so they are stringing it along as long as they can, but lack motivation to try and make something of it. If/when the firm collapses and they are made redundant, so what, it was great whilst it lasted.

What you are claiming is in utter contrast to what the global sales of Top Gear mean for the BBC. Quite simply if it was cr4p like you claim then it wouldn't sell globally like it does so you are in the tiny minority with your views of it.

bigsinky 14 February 2012 04:36 PM

it was keek of the highest order

mattvortex 14 February 2012 05:34 PM

I wish they'd get rid of Hammond- ive always thought he was the imposter of the show, and as someone said earlier, the guy seems to say yes to anyshow, so wish the little bugger would disappear!

corradoboy 14 February 2012 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 10487490)
What you are claiming is in utter contrast to what the global sales of Top Gear mean for the BBC. Quite simply if it was cr4p like you claim then it wouldn't sell globally like it does so you are in the tiny minority with your views of it.

But for how much longer with the drivel they are currently producing :wonder:

If no-one tells you you're not doing well, you might not notice. They are capable of excellence, and I have enjoyed the show for many years. However, they are on a downward spiral, a view shared by an ever-increasing number. I noticed the quality dropping 3-4 years ago and was hounded for my criticism on here. Now there are more and more agreeing with me. Should we just let it descend into a farcical turd, or voice our displeasure in the hope they can rectify the situation ? If it were your multi-million pound business would you ignore the customers ?

Wish 14 February 2012 07:12 PM

I too wish Hammond would find something else...... He looked a total tool with his hair cut of a 14 year old.

He creeps me out ..

An0n0m0us 14 February 2012 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 10487777)
But for how much longer with the drivel they are currently producing :wonder:

If no-one tells you you're not doing well, you might not notice. They are capable of excellence, and I have enjoyed the show for many years. However, they are on a downward spiral, a view shared by an ever-increasing number. I noticed the quality dropping 3-4 years ago and was hounded for my criticism on here. Now there are more and more agreeing with me. Should we just let it descend into a farcical turd, or voice our displeasure in the hope they can rectify the situation ? If it were your multi-million pound business would you ignore the customers ?

But I enjoy it for what it is, an entertainment program with cars thrown in, I don't have an issue with it. That's what sells it outside of the UK. Go back to the old days of Quentin Wilson harping on about some old banger he's bought for a bargain price will not sell to the rest of the World. What tells the BBC they are doing well is the continual signing of foreign contracts to show the Top Gear series around the World. When that slows down/declines then they will do something about the format of the show.

corradoboy 15 February 2012 08:18 AM

I never said I wanted 'old' TG back, just earlier TG. When they could open the show with 6-7 mins of a supercar on track, cut to a 3 car group test filmed somewhere stunning for 10 mins, then 5 mins of news before the toilet break during SIARPC. Then a mini feature for 6 mins before returning to the group test for the finale. Look on Wikipedia at the page about show content and you will notice that they featured 8-9 cars a show at one point. They''l be lucky to do 6 this season !

Originally Posted by Wiki
"Series 1, Episode 8" Audi RS6 • Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG • Maserati Coupé • Ford Fiesta • Citroën C3 • Honda Jazz • Nissan Micra • MG ZR Lada Riva modified by Lotus • Fastest white van man

"Series 2, Episode 6" Subaru Impreza WRX STI • Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII • Vauxhall VX220 Turbo • Peugeot 206 GTI Land speed record for caravan towing

"Series 2, Episode 8" Nissan 350Z • Alfa Romeo 147 GTA • Citroën C3 Pluriel • Mercedes-Benz CLK500 Convertible • Audi A4 Cabriolet • Daihatsu Copen The Race for the Universe

"Series 3, Episode 9" Chrysler Crossfire • Smart Roadster (Brabus V6 Bi-Turbo) • Jaguar XJ6 • Honda Civic Type R • Honda NSX Type R Top Gear Awards 2003

"Series 4, Episode 5" MG ZT 260 • BMW 645Ci • Jaguar XK-R • Porsche 911 Carrera 2 • Vauxhall Astra • Mazda3 • Volkswagen Golf Shootout: Performance sport coupes on the Pendine Sands • Volkswagen Golf gets electrocuted (with Hammond in it)

" Series 5, Episode 2" Ford Focus • Vauxhall Astra • Volkswagen Golf • Jaguar XJ220 • Pagani Zonda • Enzo Ferrari • Ferrari F40 • McLaren F1 • Porsche Carrera GT Mountainboarder versus a rally car

"Series 10, Episode 1" Volkswagen Golf GTI W12 • Porsche 911 GT3 RS vs. Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera vs. Aston Martin V8 Vantage N24 Road trip quest to find the greatest driving road in the world.

Last week, a Corsa :rolleyes: and a brief mention of a Panda :eek: riveting.

I will be watching next week however as the FF is on. A 4WD 4 seat Ferrari with the dirtiest exhaust note ever :notworthy

urban 15 February 2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si (Post 10487478)
Utter sh1te to be honest, bring back the good old days with Tiff and Quentin

Yes, but you probably forced yourself to watch the hour long programme.

I really don't understand why people watch things they clearly don't enjoy.

An0n0m0us 15 February 2012 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 10488541)
Last week, a Corsa :rolleyes: and a brief mention of a Panda :eek: riveting.

But you have just hit the nail on the head, you can't please everyone. I thought the article of the Corsa was good, if it hadn't been for that article I wouldn't have known about such a ridiculously powerful model and ludicrous price to boot. And what was wrong with the Panda item?

You want out of reach cars to most of the population reviewed all the time? What's the point? At least in hard up times we are in now it's a review of a small car selling its plus points of it can be fun even though it's small and isn't covered in spoilers.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't as they can't please everyone.

corradoboy 15 February 2012 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 10488586)
You want out of reach cars to most of the population reviewed all the time? What's the point? At least in hard up times we are in now it's a review of a small car selling its plus points of it can be fun even though it's small and isn't covered in spoilers.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't as they can't please everyone.

Look at the lists I posted above. Micra's, Chrysler Crossfire FFS ! But also Scooby's, Evo's, RS4/6's, many on here have or do own these. Plus the exotica. It's not just the content that's lacking now, but the way they portray the odd car they do review. It's a farce ! And you know it ! It used to be both funny AND informative, now it's just getting sad.

ScoobyDoo555 15 February 2012 10:06 AM

LOL - my thread title was referring to the swearing.

Funny how the thread's been rail-roaded into a "slag-off-Top Gear" thread :D

2000 sport 15 February 2012 10:34 AM

I think Eastenders, Coronation St and the like are utter sh1te.. Therefore, I don't watch them.

I don't really understand what winds people up so much about TG ? If it's no longer your cup of tea, don't watch it..

Steve vRS 15 February 2012 11:52 AM

The first 2 episodes this series were great. This last one was rubbish.

Steve

urban 15 February 2012 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2000 sport (Post 10488683)
I think Eastenders, Coronation St and the like are utter sh1te.. Therefore, I don't watch them.

I don't really understand what winds people up so much about TG ? If it's no longer your cup of tea, don't watch it..

Exactly :thumb:

Jamz3k 15 February 2012 02:44 PM

I heart TopGear.

corradoboy 15 February 2012 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2000 sport (Post 10488683)

How many times do I have to say it ? It's not as good as it was, but has the potential to recover, hence I still watch. A negative opinion is just as valid as a positive one, whether it conforms to yours or not, and I have as much right to post it. Simplistic arrogance is even more irritating than watching something you have loved go down the toilet.

spudboytim 15 February 2012 05:27 PM

top gear

Well said corradoboy, i couldnt agree more!!! The show just isnt as good as it used to be. I bloody love the show and have watched 99% them since it started but i just feel its taking a turn for the worse, which is a real shame!!

Its not just a case of "turn over if you dont like it" because its has been my fave program for years. Even if only 10% of the show is good its still better than the majority of ****e on the box!! And i dont want it to go down the pan!!:cry:

I just feel they have lost their way, and need to listen to the bbc license payer who is growing bored of the drivel they are churning out!! :razz:

An0n0m0us 15 February 2012 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 10488616)
It's a farce ! And you know it !

Don't speak for me as i'm perfectly happy with Top Gear so sorry to dissapoint you and it seems plenty of others still enjoy watching it too.

Of couse some episodes aren't as good as others but that goes for any television series. If you don't like any of the episodes simply stop watching and stop posting how crap you think it is. I don't watch soap operas as I think they are sh1te, I don't watch them and then go complaining what utter tosh they are.