ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   I'm not a train spotter but.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/906050-im-not-a-train-spotter-but.html)

cookstar 19 September 2011 08:12 AM

I have run quite a few of these via an old lever frame signalbox, being an avid non train spotter, I will have to admit to enjoying this quite a lot.

You should have seen some of the people that gather to take pictures. :lol1:

pimmo2000 19 September 2011 08:15 AM

I'm not a train spotter but.. I counted 12 of them on Friday, 3 yesterday and my record is 23

EddScott 19 September 2011 10:43 AM

We don't have much variety in West Wales but we do have the refinery train. Usually a 60 or 2 66s.

One of my original layout plans incorporated a refinery scene and I wanted to get some pics of the actual train to model.

I mentioned this to the wife and instantly realised what I was really saying was that I wanted to go train spotting. "You're such a geek sometimes" was the only reply. :)

CrisPDuk 19 September 2011 12:41 PM

MrsD has decided that she may as well join in with my geekery :thumb:

Using the excuse of dog walking holidays, I've so far managed to drag her to the Severn Valley, the Great Central, The Festiniog, the Welsh Highland, the Ravenglass & Eskdale.

And we got married in Grantown-on-Spey, the honeymonn incorporated a visit to the Strathspey line :D

We also tend to do at least one steam hauled tour per year. Premier Class, obviously :cool:

birchy2010 19 September 2011 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 10243558)
MrsD has decided that she may as well join in with my geekery :thumb:

Using the excuse of dog walking holidays, I've so far managed to drag her to the Severn Valley, the Great Central, The Festiniog, the Welsh Highland, the Ravenglass & Eskdale.

And we got married in Grantown-on-Spey, the honeymonn incorporated a visit to the Strathspey line :D

We also tend to do at least one steam hauled tour per year. Premier Class, obviously :cool:

Like :thumb:

Leslie 19 September 2011 01:26 PM

I believe it was a historic run by that steam loco and all to do with "God's Wonderful Railway" (GWR)

Les :)

Dr Hu 19 September 2011 02:41 PM

Sounds to me like he took the pictures of the wrong train....;)

CrisPDuk 19 September 2011 05:38 PM

The Mayflower is a charter railtour Les, Paddington to Plymouth and return I think?

Nunney Castle only worked Taunton-Plymouth-Taunton.

CrisPDuk 19 September 2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Hu (Post 10243771)
Sounds to me like he took the pictures of the wrong train....;)

Most definitely not :nono:

Snazy 20 September 2011 01:03 PM

I saw a steamer on the move for the first time ever (sad @ 38 I know) when I was going down the A55 into Colwyn Bay a few weeks ago. I was honestly blown away by it. Awesome sight!

Leslie 21 September 2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 10244064)
The Mayflower is a charter railtour Les, Paddington to Plymouth and return I think?

Nunney Castle only worked Taunton-Plymouth-Taunton.

Thanks CPD, I missed the full story on Spotlight when they mentioned it.

I bet that was an enjoyable run, as long as they did not open a window!

Les :)

CrisPDuk 22 September 2011 11:07 PM

A bit of soot in the eye is good for the soul Les :lol1:

We went to Scarborough and back behind Princess Elizabeth a couple of weeks ago, I stuck my head out for less than a minute on the haul up to Standedge coming back, when she was working properly hard (13 on), and came back in looking like a panda :D

MrsD was not best pleased, she wouldn't let me sit back down until I'd washed up in the toilet :lol1:

CrisPDuk 22 September 2011 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 10245312)
I saw a steamer on the move for the first time ever (sad @ 38 I know) when I was going down the A55 into Colwyn Bay a few weeks ago. I was honestly blown away by it. Awesome sight!

The country is a cleaner, better place for not having them on regular duty on the rail network, But the sight of a mainline steam locomotive in full cry, doing what it was built to do*, really does stir the soul, and long may it continue :thumb:

* Although they are restricted to a mere 75mph these days :(