ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   fatal crash at the ring this morning (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/904146-fatal-crash-at-the-ring-this-morning.html)

T5NYW 04 September 2011 08:26 PM

RIP and a sad loss for his family

I have been in 6 bad crashes 2 where high speed rolls and standard seat belts worked great.

I other bad roll I was throw out of car but that was with a full harness. I had not done it up correctly or I flipped it open during roll.

Tony

Ps only 3 when I was driving. The others I was a passenger.

Wmscooby 04 September 2011 08:31 PM

RIP to the guy who lost his life and my thoughts are with his family.

Alan Jeffery 04 September 2011 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by T5NYW (Post 10219568)
RIP and a sad loss for his family

I have been in 6 bad crashes 2 where high speed rolls and standard seat belts worked great.

I other bad roll I was throw out of car but that was with a full harness. I had not done it up correctly or I flipped it open during roll.

Tony

Ps only 3 when I was driving. The others I was a passenger.

Good grief man, I'm surprised you leave the house at all!
20 years competitive motorsport, no bad crashes..

Ste RB5138 04 September 2011 09:20 PM

Very sad news to hear :(

Tomwrx 04 September 2011 09:26 PM

very sad to hear this, thoughts go out to the family

mervil 04 September 2011 09:28 PM

Sad times :( each time I've been there have been at least one bad accident!

Good to hear Frayz and Anger are ok :thumb: It's a great track but can and will catch people out at some point! Had a few brown trouser moments there! Gotta keep on your toes at all times!

leonpoole 04 September 2011 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery (Post 10219649)
Good grief man, I'm surprised you leave the house at all!
20 years competitive motorsport, no bad crashes..

Him and his friends obviously can't drive properly :norty:

Anger 04 September 2011 09:38 PM

As said im out here aswell and every lap i did yesterday i saw an accident, seen some very stupid driving including a bike undertake me as i was entering the carousel

My safest laps were in the wet today with the ring taxi

stann01 04 September 2011 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Godney (Post 10219525)
read on the clio forum that there was 3 in the car , and the rear passenger got thrown out

cant find that?

andythejock01wrx 04 September 2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by leonpoole (Post 10219742)
Him and his friends obviously can't drive properly :norty:

:Whatever_

Godspeed Brakes 04 September 2011 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by stann01 (Post 10219760)
cant find that?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showt...ph1-clio/page2

stann01 04 September 2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Godney (Post 10219792)

thanks

bigbruiseral 04 September 2011 11:16 PM

Thoughts go out to the family

Scoob99 05 September 2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by RetroMk1 (Post 10219261)
the link doesnt work just takes me to my facebook home page

Yeah Me too:(

CREWJ 05 September 2011 11:44 AM

Same about FB.

It's so sad to hear about these things :(

Rez 05 September 2011 12:01 PM

I was last there three years ago on a GSXR1000, as a previous poster said, there was at least one crash every lap.. the L.E.D board at the barriers was permanently illuminated somewhere or another. Sometimes bikes, sometimes cars and certainly not always brits.. Few of the lads we were with did one lap then said "fook that!" It's really not for the faint hearted or those lacking in confidence.. that said I benefitted from cheap tickets from the lads who dropped out!!

SkullFudge 06 September 2011 08:51 PM

I done some laps at The Ring last year and you just drive straight out on track with no license, no insurance, no MOT, bald tryes, leaking coolant, dripping oil, no brakes, no seat belts BUT you are not allowed to have a camcorder fixed :lol1:

What a joke.

I wasn't checked for anything nor was anyone else.

Wmscooby 06 September 2011 09:01 PM

It can get quite scary with all the other users out there, i tend to take the philosophy that i need to drive home in the car i'm doing laps in!!
That said you have to have your eyes everywhere due to quicker cars, bikes and the odd numpty

Lucky I've never had an off or a near miss but will continue to attend every year :)

T5NYW 06 September 2011 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by SkullFudge (Post 10223115)
I done some laps at The Ring last year and you just drive straight out on track with no license, no insurance, no MOT, bald tryes, leaking coolant, dripping oil, no brakes, no seat belts BUT you are not allowed to have a camcorder fixed :lol1:

What a joke.

Totally agree ;)

BUT you are not allowed to have a camcorder fixed :lol1:

Unless you use theirs ;) 49 euro's IIRC

Tony

Anger 06 September 2011 10:38 PM

Its a toll road..... do they check your car over here on toll roads ?

johnfelstead 07 September 2011 12:20 AM

What a joke.

I wasn't checked for anything nor was anyone else.

It's a public road, not a racing circuit. You are responsible for the condition of your car, just as you are in the UK on a public road.

If the police stop you and check you, you best have everything in order.

Crash there or cause a crash there and you will be meeting the police if the Nurburgring staff consider it apropriate.

stevep360 07 September 2011 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by johnfelstead (Post 10223520)
It's a public road, not a racing circuit. You are responsible for the condition of your car, just as you are in the UK on a public road.

If the police stop you and check you, you best have everything in order.

Crash there or cause a crash there and you will be meeting the police if the Nurburgring staff consider it apropriate.

Hi Jon I had the priveledge of being in your passenger seat one year at the ring when you has the 200sx, I was out there with Warren and Rainbird with the cossie's. Hope you are well.

Martin 2010 07 September 2011 07:16 AM

i have to say that is never nice news, happens ever day some where, and the thing no ones pinted out is that it seem its the passanger thats died, how guilty must the driver be feeling poor lad dont think i could live with that over my head. :( respects to all involved, n frayz keep safe but still good for good lap time ;)

REVOLUTION 07 September 2011 09:38 AM

Hi All
We were out there with the RS246.com guys and I must say it was the busiest I've ever seen it over tha last 5 visits....crazy time and due to closures I only managed 5 laps over 3 days....

Seriously considering doing a closed event next time as it was pretty hectic at times with bikes and cars just piling out whenever it re-opened and crash after crash as people go out on cold tyres and engines.

We were about 1 minute behind the Clio and arrived at the carnage in the middle of the track with marshalls waving some 200 mtrs up the road and still people were overtaking us at speed....
From what we could see of the skid marks on the grass & the impact on the barrier from where he stopped was a long way, whether it was a loss of control or a mechanical failure I guess we will never know but I have a feeling that its only a matter of time before something is done to prevent the loss of life as its very tragic.

We heard that the rear passenger who sadly lost his life in the Clio had undone his seatbelt to film the lap and wasnt wearing a helmet either...if this is true I think that helmets need to be made mandatory as this may have avoided a loss of life.

A Morgan cabriolet went out with a couple driving without helmets...5 mins later track is shut and you can guess what we were all thinking...but the car comes back on a trailor after he drove for 5 miles with an oil leak - 5 mins later a GT3 driver pulls in with front and rear bumper damage and storms over to Morgan driver to have a word as he caused him to have the off - its crazy as no one ever checks under vehicles for leaks...

For all of you who havent been, please dont be put off as its an amazing place but I would strongly urge you to do a few uk track days to get the feel of your car and racing lines etc as its so unforgiving in places. I suspect that a lot of people go their and havent been on any track days, hence the crashes that happen every year.
I've been doing track days since 1991 and never went to the 'Ring as felt that didint have the experience to be safe, but the cost of uk days and the fact I ran out of tracks to go to made me look at it more seriously and I've never looked back...but be prepaired for bikes and cars and rain to go out together and some extreme driving and you will know get an idea of what this place is about.

I did spot a red blobeye spec-c and a fully stickered up sti with "mad dog" on the windows...i popped over to say hello but guess you were walking round the pits as you were nowhere to be seen.
The RS4 Avant weighs in at a staggering 1750kgs and with 4 up you really feel it under braking and long wet corners are quite hairy too...gulp..!
Fingers crossed next year we will have a fine example of a Subaru doing lots of laps as we missed the torque and handling of an Impreza.......project Subaru No.11 anyone......?

Thoughts and prayers go out to all involved in the accident and lets hope the driver and passenger make a speedy recovery. 3 bikers also lost their lives last week too which just brings home how careful you have to be.
I would still rather push myself around their than do it on UK roads anyday...

Glenn

"MADDOG" 07 September 2011 11:22 AM

sorry I missed you Glenn

rgds "MADDOG"

urban 07 September 2011 11:22 AM

No helmets - thats nuts!

REVOLUTION 07 September 2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by "MADDOG" (Post 10223809)
sorry I missed you Glenn

rgds "MADDOG"

so near yet so far...maybe next time..!

Anger 07 September 2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 10223810)
No helmets - thats nuts!

Its a road.... Ive never had a helmet on there

once they make you wear helmets it no longer a toll road and a track and im sure alot will have to change and it could be the end of the Ring

Anger 07 September 2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by "MADDOG" (Post 10223809)
sorry I missed you Glenn

rgds "MADDOG"

Your car looked great going around, have a pic somewhere

Godspeed Brakes 07 September 2011 08:48 PM

seen this link on the clio forum

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news...rash_1_3748787