ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   What Diesal? £10-15k (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/899406-what-diesal-10-15k.html)

pacenote 02 August 2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by s70rjw (Post 10164677)
Where did you hear this,mate? I was thinking of one for the Mrs,never heard any bad reports before. Please pass me the links to the bad press and I can either barter or look elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

Well I've been running a Legacy diesel estate for 2 yrs now and its been faultless, I would recommend one to anybody. :thumb:

Remember even the 'badge' cars can and do have engine issues..

ScoobyJawa 02 August 2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10164254)
What's the fuel economy like on 'em, and is the auto box any good>

Its a 6 speed auto and its ok yeah, I like it anyway! Its not got lightening changes that more sporty or double clutch machinery has but its hardly slow and neither is the car! Mines a 231bhp pre efficient dynamics and I get 40-41 on a run at 80mph and about 38-39 if I push it a bit above that. The remap actually improves mpg on those sorts of runs by 1-2mpg but obviously if you have a heavy right foot it will suffer. Remap is £250 and give 335d performance, 231bhp model going from mid 6's 0-60 into the mid 5's! :D

boosted 02 August 2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by pacenote (Post 10165156)
Well I've been running a Legacy diesel estate for 2 yrs now and its been faultless, I would recommend one to anybody. :thumb:

Remember even the 'badge' cars can and do have engine issues..

how many miles is on the legacy? over 100k? i do 35k miles a year in my Polo tdi, it has done me well, just use the scoob evenings and weekends

pacenote 02 August 2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by boosted (Post 10165415)
how many miles is on the legacy? over 100k? i do 35k miles a year in my Polo tdi, it has done me well, just use the scoob evenings and weekends

32k at the moment as work is quiet, normally do about 25k/year. Not high mileage I know but its enough for me.
Went to the legacy from a wrx wagon and don't miss the impreza. The legacy is better for my business use and is also great for towing ( thats a trailer not a caravan :D )

Frosticles 02 August 2011 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10164562)
Is that manual or auto? I think I may be heading in this general orientation.

Went for the manual and a wise choice. ;) Remap as well to 285ish. On a good run, 600 miles to the tank. Pootling around sees 450-500 to the tank.

P1Fanatic 03 August 2011 12:24 PM

Sorry to thread hijack but Im toying with a 330D as well - 335d is just pushing the budget too far and losing the mpg benefits of the diesel over petrol. I am still contemplating a hatch STi but the £450 road tax and running costs puts me off not to mention the engine failures. My head (rather than heart/nostalgia for the scoob) is telling me to invest in a diesel and the newer 245bhp models are no slouch especially with a remap (after warranty runs out for me). It would have to be the E92 as I love the coupe's sleek looks even though not so practical. Looking on autotrader your looking at low £20k's for a 2-2.5yr old with low mileage.

Does anyone with an E92 use a bike rack as currently I just throw my mtb in the back of my civic? Admittedly part of that is its a lease car so never been inclined to shell out for a bike rack on a car Im giving back.

Cheers
Simon

ScoobyJawa 03 August 2011 07:20 PM

Manuals tend to break clutches/gearbox's more due to the monster torque so just be aware, the auto having a torque converter is more reliable when chipped according to most BM forums, plus the 330d auto has the same unit as the 335d so no issues with power/torque increase!

Also bear in mind that the 245bhp 330d remaps increase is 10bhp less than the 231bhp, so both when mapped are almost identical! (something like 35bhp for the 245 and 45bhp for the 231).

Good choice to go E92, much nicer lookers than the saloon, though I think the Touring looks nice too. Not used a bike rack with mine though I reckon I'd easily get it in the boot with the front wheel off and the rear seats lowered........

GlesgaKiss 03 August 2011 07:24 PM

Can you not get a 530 or 535d for less that £15k. The M-Sports are nice.

lozgti1 03 August 2011 08:12 PM

Love our 3 series diesel with a passion even though they are perhaps the most common car on the road!!

Would have loved an Octavia vRS diesel.local plod has one.Very very very nice.Nice not to be part of the crowd too

ScoobyJawa 04 August 2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 10167605)
Can you not get a 530 or 535d for less that £15k. The M-Sports are nice.

Yep! Similar weight to an E9x 3 series too, but feels a much bigger car!

lozgti1 04 August 2011 07:37 PM

I know I'm a bit new to the BMW thing but Msport just seems to get you badge on steering wheel,nice seats and harder suspension with no performance gains whatsoever

Frosticles 06 August 2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 10169310)
I know I'm a bit new to the BMW thing but Msport just seems to get you badge on steering wheel,nice seats and harder suspension with no performance gains whatsoever

M Sports do come with quite a few differences. Seats, Body Kit, Steering wheel, Scuff plates, Reversing sensors, Wheels, Suspension etc etc. Power is the same as an SE. Looks wise the M Sport is much nicer and tighter to drive. :thumb:

lozgti1 06 August 2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Frosticles (Post 10172426)
M Sports do come with quite a few differences. Seats, Body Kit, Steering wheel, Scuff plates, Reversing sensors, Wheels, Suspension etc etc. Power is the same as an SE. Looks wise the M Sport is much nicer and tighter to drive. :thumb:

Seats were certainly very nice in the one I sat in Sort of alcantara stuff.Got the parking sensors on our SE though

I was just a bit disappointed that 'M Sport' didn't mean a few more bhp:D

Chip 06 August 2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by boosted (Post 10163986)
i had a seat leon fr, very good car imo, I paid 14,500 for it six months old

+1, great car , plenty of power, just driven from Cardiff to Boston,Lincs and got 48mpg.

Chip