ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The cost of prescriptions in England rise!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/878096-the-cost-of-prescriptions-in-england-rise.html)

Leslie 05 March 2011 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9916002)
Devolution was one of Labours biggest mistakes.

It just adds another costly and pointless layer of government in the lives of half of the UK, and threatens the break-up of this country.

The only gainers are the Politicians.

Exactly right!

Les

Leslie 05 March 2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9916014)
Les

You KNOW who started it all Les ... and it was YOUR heroes - not mine!!! You were around at the time, but a little history for you:-

1. In October 1952, the Conservative government introduced the charge and set the charge at 1 shilling per prescription form.

2. In 1965, under Harold Wilson, Labour abolished prescription charges.

3. Labour were forced to re-introduce the charge in 1968 due to a massive drugs bill.

4. In 1971, charges stood at 20p per item, where they remained until July 1979.

5. In 1979 the new Thatcher government increased them to 45p.

6. Charges were increased twice in 1980, to 70p and then to £1 in December under the Tories.

7. Further, under the Tories, during the mid-1980s, charges rose at around 20p per year (with the new prices coming into force on April 1).

8. The Tories, in the early 1990s, accelerated the rise to 25p per year.

9. When Labour came to power in 1997, the annual rate of increase was reduced to 10p - where it remained until today.

So, Les, I would say that your heroes - the Tories - are the ones who stitch us up on the Prescription charge .... at every chance they can!!

Whereas Labour have abolished or reduced them!!

Tories tax sickness .....

You did not read and understand my post Pete.

Les

BLU 05 March 2011 03:22 PM

I'm ok, I live in Wales :D

mrmadcap 05 March 2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by blu-scoob (Post 9917313)

That is nothing to be proud of, and your system stinks.

I was unfortunate enough to live in Wales 2 years ago and my son is on medication but was only prescribed 1 months worth unlike in England where he was given six months worth. This was a pain in the ass because every month it would mean taking a day off work to get the medication.

As a fit and healthy person i would rather pay for perscriptions if it means people with health problems or the terminally ill will get a better standard of treatment they deserve.

Your system off free perscriptions is at the expense of the unfortunate individuals with serious health problems that really can't do without medication.

It's just smoke and mirrors you daft mug:cuckoo:

Chip 06 March 2011 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by mrmadcap (Post 9918038)

I was unfortunate enough to live in Wales 2 years ago and my son is on medication but was only prescribed 1 months worth unlike in England where he was given six months worth. This was a pain in the ass because every month it would mean taking a day off work to get the medication.

As a fit and healthy person i would rather pay for perscriptions if it means people with health problems or the terminally ill will get a better standard of treatment they deserve.

Your system off free perscriptions is at the expense of the unfortunate individuals with serious health problems that really can't do without medication.

Most GPs only prescribe for 1 month at a time.

I too am on medication and requested to get my scrips with 3 months on them which I believe is the max time and should be so as well, so you can be reviewed on a regular basis.

You can also, if you had been bothered to find out get your scrips, delivered free to your home by most local chemists who will order, collect and deliver them for you.

Chip

f1_fan 06 March 2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by blu-scoob (Post 9917313)

That's an oxymoron if ever I heard one ;)

BLU 06 March 2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrmadcap (Post 9918038)

I'm no mug matey :D I've lived in England for 34 years up until 2 years ago. Best move I ever made :thumb: I personally have found the treatment here in Wales much better than in England. The doctors never seem to be in a rush to get you back out the door here, and actually spend the time to listen to you.

The system is fine, I have Asthma and can get 3 months worth of inhalers from my docs no problem and as mentioned above you can get your repeats picked up and delivered by your local chemist.

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 9918509)
That's an oxymoron if ever I heard one ;)

No, I LIVE in Wales, I'm not Welsh ;)