ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   I've Cocked Up - Where do I Stand? (Dell Laptop Order) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/866703-ive-cocked-up-where-do-i-stand-dell-laptop-order.html)

Mr Wagon 05 January 2011 09:58 PM

What warranty or support did you buy with the laptop ?

Ring up Dell and tell them that the keyboard isnt lighting up.

They will check and make you do various things such as pull out the battery, turn it off and on etc.

Play the fool and say nope, the keyboard still isnt alight.

If you have onsite support insist that they send someone out to replace the keyboard with a new lighty up keyboard as the current one is defective.

What ever you do keep on complaining that the keyboard is not showing any lights ( dont let on that you know its a non illuminating keyboard).

Good luck and keep pushing them!!!

Luminous 05 January 2011 10:43 PM

Just ask them to send out the necessary keyboard, should be an easy fit. If its not an easy fit then now you know why they are kicking up a fuss....

Anyway, as stated before, Sales of Good Acts or warranty claim. Dig in and fight on :)

Chris 9-5 05 January 2011 10:48 PM

Did you pay by a major credit card?

If so they might be able to assist too :thumb:

Account deleted by request 05 January 2011 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 9802294)
I have thought a little more about this, why not make a claim under the 12 month warrenty for a non working lighting up keyboard, you can prove it is what you purchased as you have the invoice..when they come out and fix it you may get sorted.

the keyboard is after all faulty to what you ordered.

What a brilliant idea, talk about thinking outside the box.

Think the OP may owe you a beer.

Chop :thumb:

Scotsman 06 January 2011 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by chopper. (Post 9802833)

Yep - superb idea :)

GlesgaKiss 06 January 2011 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by chopper. (Post 9802833)

Agreed, cracking idea. But looks like we might be getting somewhere now. Will update later on when I've hopefully got a result.

speedking 06 January 2011 01:41 PM

Buy your uncle a torch?

Seriously though, agree with Jerryterzo, if it stopped working now you would expect a repair, don't be so backward in going forward.

Bravo2zero_sps 06 January 2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 9803559)
Buy your uncle a torch?

:lol1: another thinking outside the box but I have to say not quite as good a suggestion as the above ;)

Hopefully you will get it resolved the correct way which is them rectifying with no more arguments otherwise just tell them you will log a support call for the keyboard not working and that will probably cost them more in time/money and paperwork doing it the second way.

speedking 13 January 2011 01:10 PM

All sorted now?

GlesgaKiss 13 January 2011 01:20 PM

No. My Aunt has sent copies of the order acknowledgement and confirmation to Dell's head office. We weren't getting anywhere with customer services.

Dr Hu 13 January 2011 02:09 PM

No Lighty - No Likey......;)

GlesgaKiss 13 January 2011 02:26 PM

:lol1:

joz8968 13 January 2011 02:54 PM

You can get USB 'bendy' LED lights that plug into a spare USB port....... But they're ****e! :lol1:

c_maguire 13 January 2011 02:56 PM

What really strikes me about this is that it is indicative of a general attitude many companies have today where contrary to all the crap they spout, customer service evaporates as soon as they have your money. They have 'moved on' to coin a phrase and you are only of interest to them again if you pay them more money.

Why would Dell not want to help you out, that's what I just can't get to grips with. What happened to fair play? The Management did, that's what. Bit like Modelzone or MowDirect, both got me.

'A happy customer is a repeat customer'. Typical platitude nowadays, meant something once though.

Kevin

GlesgaKiss 02 February 2011 12:00 PM

Well they eventually sent someone out to her work to fit a backlit keyboard! Good result even if it did take some time, but their customer service is shocking and I can't see myself buying anything substantial from them again.

joz8968 02 February 2011 01:05 PM

At last! But yeah, never use 'em again. :(

Good that you... eventually!... got some semblance of a result. :)

Dr Hu 02 February 2011 01:12 PM

Did they ever agree to the fact that it wasn't built to order in the first place?

markjmd 02 February 2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 9857092)
Well they eventually sent someone out to her work to fit a backlit keyboard! Good result even if it did take some time, but their customer service is shocking and I can't see myself buying anything substantial from them again.

When I asked the IT guy at work which brand laptop he'd recommend to buy for a relative a few months ago, his summary of Dell was that they're great if you're a corporate customer, but steer clear as a private buyer because their customer service sucks unless you've got company clout behind you. Sounds like they've thoroughly lived down to their reputation in your case :(

ScoobLou 02 February 2011 10:39 PM

Well we have always bought direct through Dell at work.

I was shocked to find out the other day that we can get a laptop with more that twice the specification and £60 cheaper than buying through Dell Business through Tesco. So I ordered 10 of their laptops the other day and enjoyed the points on my clubcard. :D

As Dell dropped their on-site next day support service last year there is just no benefit in ordering from them anymore.

J4CKO 02 February 2011 10:50 PM

We have 14,000 pcs in our organisation, if it was me they were treating like that with a private purchase I would do my best to influence my boss that now the agreement is up to buy HP just to spite them !

Oracle p1ssed me off by dressing up an audit as free consultancy, nicey, nicey and when I repeatedly said I didn't have time at that point to engage with them but thanks for the offer they said it was an enforced audit, didnt actually happen but if they had asked upfront I would have agreed, dont like being taken for a c*nt and have told them as much, I tell our account manager it is now not a strategic product for us, SQL Server is and I have not ordered anything since, ok we were going that way anyway but it helped my decision. I doubt Oracle will go under but potentially being underhand cost them tens of thousands of pounds and made a difficult decision very easy.