ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   API built 2.5 - sludge and smoke (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/861995-api-built-2-5-sludge-and-smoke.html)

NXG 03 December 2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mus (Post 9744395)
I think they mean speak to David over the phone and see what his willing to do? I don't know many companies that would warranty such a build, I'm sure if you speak to api they will try an offer you a nice discount on any repair as a good will gesture.

Thanks, I know what they mean, but that's not going to happen.

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 9744544)
What i think everyone does not get is if you have had the engine built by Api why are you asking for opinions from members and asking where to take it, as said above take it to Api no one else they built it just seems strange that you aren't. If I had spent in the region of 5k for a 2.5 build plus extras no doubt ie clutch turbo extra so guessing near on 10k with a company and I had covered 10k in miles in just over a year and had made sure all the checks were done at right times with the liners, servicing and all and it went pop dirt place I would go is the company who built it as I would hope they would be willing to help and we could come to a deal so we all win, fromm experiance api are one of the good ones so why take it else where. Just seems like there is more to it, please PM me if you wish

If not no worries and best of luck getting it sorted in the new year with who ever you use

I spent a lot more than that with API, but I'd still prefer a different company to check what's happened with the car. There is more to it than I've posted, but I'm just interested in finding somewhere that'll look into the issue I'm having with the smoke from the exhaust and black sludge in the cooling system.

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9746535)
Guys, I don't think he's going to do that. ;)

Ask him why not.

Alcazar, I guess from your posts you're an API fan and have heard one side of the story? Thanks for your input but I think we'd all prefer it if the original question and responses to it were the subject of the thread. If you'd like to continue your speculation PM me.

banny sti 03 December 2010 02:02 PM

Cant blame NXG for not wanting to start a slagging contest about API, dude simply wants to get his car sorted asap same as the rest of us :)

Saalro 03 December 2010 02:14 PM

Lol, tell us the full story! I'm all curious now and i'm assuming so is everyone else! I'm not on anyones side.

Thanks
Sam

14N-FR 03 December 2010 02:28 PM

The guy is asking for advice on where else to go, but to be honest, if he didnt mention APi at all, none of this would have started.

He could have said, 'where can I take my 2.5 built motor to that is near Northants?'

Saalro 03 December 2010 02:31 PM

Very true, but he didn't! Lol
API made such a good reputation for themselves that everyone wants in on the details when something goes wrong wiht an engine build from API, that's what i think.
Like i say i'm on no ones side.

Thanks
Sam

14N-FR 03 December 2010 02:37 PM

He did, its in the thread title ;)

alcazar 03 December 2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 14N-FR (Post 9746719)
He did, its in the thread title ;)

Saalro means he didn't just say where can I take it, he started by mentioning API.

NXG: why don't YOU tell us the full story, then?

Saalro 03 December 2010 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9746734)
Saalro means he didn't just say where can I take it, he started by mentioning API.

NXG: why don't YOU tell us the full story, then?

:thumb:

But an understandable mistake, i thought i made a mistake myself untill i reread it, but a didn't or did would both work lol.

Full story full story full story!:p

Thanks
Sam

NXG 03 December 2010 03:53 PM

Guys, I won't being going into the saga in this thread just to satisfy meddler or fan-boy idle curiosity, and am glad to see at least some have the maturity to understand this.

I posted it's an API built engine in my car (as are a lot of other mods), and the symptoms a qualified engineer has informed me of, solely to indicate to any possible interested companies that the engine is not standard and has been re-worked to API's specification. Any company that knows what they're doing will therefore have a good idea what may be involved to resolve any issues and return the engine to its past 452/485 form.

I've received several offers of help which I'm pursuing now, so thanks for the responses and interest, and I'll update the thread when the cause of the problems has been professionally identified and documented.

Scooby Dan 03 December 2010 04:16 PM

Good luck getting it sorted. Its a horrible feeling when you think your engine has been built with the best of the best by the best of the best and then decides to let go. A similar thing happened to my 2.5 last year. (not API built ,just for the record.)

alcazar 03 December 2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by NXG (Post 9746867)
Guys, I won't being going into the saga in this thread just to satisfy meddler or fan-boy idle curiosity, and am glad to see at least some have the maturity to understand this.

Oh we understand alright;) :D

NXG 03 December 2010 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9746973)
Oh we understand alright;) :D

No... you really don't.

alcazar 03 December 2010 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by NXG (Post 9747026)
No... you really don't.

So..........enlighten us.:norty:

It's put up or shut up time dude.;)

bighead 03 December 2010 05:36 PM

I feel for you NXG....as I had the same problem with a "tuner" in 2008 when my built forged 2.5 blew a headgasket .
My P1 is still at the Tuners(different tuner from the one that blew my gasket ) waiting to be completed 2 years on !!

good luck with yr car, hope you dont have to wait 2 years for it to be sorted lol

NXG 03 December 2010 05:38 PM

No, it's time to ignore the troll.

NXG 03 December 2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by bighead (Post 9747049)
I feel for you NXG....as I had the same problem with a "tuner" in 2008 when my built forged 2.5 blew a headgasket .
My P1 is still at the Tuners(different tuner from the one that blew my gasket ) waiting to be completed 2 years on !!

good luck with yr car, hope you dont have to wait 2 years for it to be sorted lol

I suppose component/build failure is the price we sometimes have to pay for pushing things way beyond manufacturer specifications, although judging by the ongoing thread regarding standard engine failures, keeping things standard is by no means any guarantee.

stealthy55 03 December 2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by NXG (Post 9747067)
I suppose component/build failure is the price we sometimes have to pay for pushing things way beyond manufacturer specifications, although judging by the ongoing thread regarding standard engine failures, keeping things standard is by no means any guarantee.

i may be mis informed but i thought api (within certain conditions) guarantee their engines?

speights 03 December 2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 9739924)
first thing is first, you should of contacted David and the team at API first before coming on here and mentioning their name linking them to an engine failure, the engine is over a year old and could be many a reason why it failed but with the mention of the name the sh1t can stick to them. not saying you are blaming them but as said sh1t sticks mate.
good luck

HI
I would like to know why you have not spoken to API, after spending a large amount of money with them that should surely been have your first
call:wonder:

jayallen 03 December 2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by speights (Post 9747084)
HI
I would like to know why you have not spoken to API, after spending a large amount of money with them that should surely been have your first
call:wonder:

Thats a fair comment............i guess there is more here than meets the eye.

stann01 03 December 2010 06:28 PM

A.P.I dont do warranties on headgaskets :)

I know....;)

Mus 03 December 2010 06:45 PM

I don't think any one out there waranties modified engines as some tend to last a lot longer than others. api are a good company from what I hear and I'm sure they will reason something out with you and as a fellow enthusiast i know you want your car running asap it's a bad feeling looking at your car every day And not been able to drive it lucky theres poor weather now :) good luck I hope you get it sorted mate

dynamix 03 December 2010 06:54 PM

So am I right to think that API have told all of you that seem to know what this is all about ? Seems a bit strange. :wonder:

Dunno why the OP is being given a hard time - he has asked what he wanted very clearly without apportioning blame to anyone so why try to make it into a slanging match ?

He asked and has been given his answer.. end of.

happydude303 03 December 2010 07:07 PM

all i would say is if i ask an company to build me an engine which will run what ever power i said i would expect at least sim months warrenty if not a year but when you go over the old 400 mark it might be a lot harder to pt a warrenty on it and lets face it it woudl depned on how it is drivenand treated and maintained

New_scooby_04 03 December 2010 08:08 PM

APi do offer a warranty on all of their engine builds AFAIK. The OP has stated that this work was done 2008/9. It's now the end of 2010. That would make it well out of even a good warranty period for a rebuild (typically about 6 months).

Therefore, it would be unreasonable in the absence of any evidence (which we've been told will not be forthcoming by the OP themself) to assume any fault on the part of APi.

The OP has asked a question which has been answered.

I think it's time to lock this thread rather than let idle speculation continue that will achieve nothing.