ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Who makes the iPhone SO successful? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/852853-who-makes-the-iphone-so-successful.html)

StickyMicky 27 September 2010 01:34 PM

On the point of games.

To be fair, some of the Nokia N-Gage games were pretty good :)
But it was the way that Nokia delivered the service that killed it off IMO

The best game i have used on my android phone has been Angry Birds, and that is a port of the I-phone one anyway.

Snazy 27 September 2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 9622693)
It was the revolutionary UI and more importantly, the Apple Marketing machine coupled with the media.

Less than 15% of smartphone owners care about apps. (Can't provide the source I'm afraid)

The 2 statements surely contradict themselves.
Apples marketting REVOLVES around apps.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 27 September 2010 02:01 PM

Partially yes, but the majority of people who buy iPhones don't necessarily buy it for the apps, but because it is nice and shiney, and their mate has one.

SwissTony 27 September 2010 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 9622739)
Partially yes, but the majority of people who buy iPhones don't necessarily buy it for the apps, but because it is nice and shiney, and their mate has one.

I bought it because I knew it would irritate the hell out of Snazy and make me more attractive to girls :Suspiciou

tony de wonderful 27 September 2010 02:05 PM

A strange cult like attitude amongst the acolytes who work in the apple stores?

stevejobs 27 September 2010 02:31 PM

People buy it because it is awesome :thumb:

Snazy 27 September 2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 9622747)
I bought it because I knew it would irritate the hell out of Snazy and make me more attractive to girls :Suspiciou

But instead it irritates girls and made you more attractive to me! :norty:

Im still sticking with apps. Although one of the guys in the office who just bought an HTC Wildfire says he has no interest in apps. Which leaves me wondering "why a smartphone then". But I guess because you have a phone that CAN do something, does not mean you WANT to do that with it.

SwissTony 27 September 2010 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 9622803)
But instead it irritates girls and made you more attractive to me! :norty:

Im still sticking with apps. Although one of the guys in the office who just bought an HTC Wildfire says he has no interest in apps. Which leaves me wondering "why a smartphone then". But I guess because you have a phone that CAN do something, does not mean you WANT to do that with it.

I worry at your first statement :eek:

Regarding the mate and his HTC. Beggars the question ..why ??

A smartphone is just that. Filled with stuff that can do things like browse the web, handle your email, let you communicate other than by telephone and allow you access via apps to useful stuff.

Most people who dont want a smartphone give the above reasons as exactly why they dont. They just want a phone and maybe SMS.

Snazy 27 September 2010 02:46 PM

It doesnt worry you really does it lol :p

He doesnt use email on it, use the net, infact nothing but occasional texts, and receives a few calls. Nothing wrong with having the latest I guess, but I would rather have a more practical phone for that.

Geezer 27 September 2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9621358)
It's both, plus one you've missed. The phone itself has pushed all other manufacturers into catch up mode. iOS is made solely for Apple hardware, a clear advantage. The application store with it's simple distribution and payment system has made many a bedroom millionaire and iTunes offers seamless backup and synchronisation with PC's and Macs.

No other phone offers all of these, and until they do no other can compete.

Mmm, c'mon Jack, we know you're an Apple fanboy, but please stick to reality! Symbian is still the biggest seller in the world, and Android phones are outselling iPhone now, so who exactly are these people who cannot compete? ;)

Geezer

Ant 27 September 2010 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 9622859)
Mmm, c'mon Jack, we know you're an Apple fanboy, but please stick to reality! Symbian is still the biggest seller in the world, and Android phones are outselling iPhone now, so who exactly are these people who cannot compete? ;)

Geezer

The only reason that is because android
Is on so many phones ;)

Geezer 27 September 2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by antc (Post 9622873)
The only reason that is because android
Is on so many phones ;)

If iOS was that good, it would outsell all the others anyway ;)

Geezer

ChefDude 27 September 2010 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer
If iOS was that good, it would outsell all the others anyway ;)

this irritates me.... not you Geezer, this statement comes from loads of people/tech forums, etc

1) there a numerous devices that use android, so it's entirely unsurprising they're overtaking iOS numbers.

2) Android is free for hardware manufacturers and a low and finite development cost to integrate this OS - of course they're going to use it! See point 1.

Geezer 27 September 2010 04:10 PM

Is anyone stopping Apple from doing the same?

Only Apple themselves ;)

Geezer

Ant 27 September 2010 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 9622925)
Is anyone stopping Apple from doing the same?

Only Apple themselves ;)

Geezer

No because it'll end up on crap phones like moto dext and people will brand the phone along with apple as crap.

ChefDude 27 September 2010 04:23 PM

Quite right antc

a good example is that Google stated Android is not for tablets. Well, guess what OS they're shoe horning into the new tablets?

Scooby Soon! 27 September 2010 04:37 PM

the new android software will be suitable for tablets and is only a few months away (3.0) I would be interested in what will be different from 2.2, I doubt it will be much.

Yes android is free but I don't think that really makes any difference, operating systems for phones used to be licensed from people like Symbian for only a few pounds per phone (less than £5 if I remember right) on a £400 to £600 phone is nothing, companies are using Android because its the best phone operating system for phones and is being developed the fastest.

Ant 27 September 2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9622954)
companies are using Android because its the best phone operating system for phones and is being developed the fastest.

also the fact it's the only decent os for smart phones that's available so they don't really have a choice, if they had the option for iOS they'd take that over android

Spoon 27 September 2010 04:51 PM

Who makes the iPhone SO successful?

The sheep in reality buying in to the hype.

For me it's Jay Freeman and co! :thumb:

Snazy 27 September 2010 04:54 PM

And there goes the sensible question off into cyberspace, consumed by yet another Appletastic arguement lol.

Personally, to get involved in this new arguement, I dont see much of a difference between Android and iOS. For day to day use, they are both functional, and thats all I need.
It is nice however to see how far Android has come in such a short time, especially for a free OS. And personally, im glad its available on a variety of handsets, as what suits one, does not suit all.

mamoon2 27 September 2010 04:57 PM

I've had my iPhone 3g for about 2 years now and the main reasons I like it are:

1. It just works nicely

2. It does email / web / sms really well

Bad points:

Battery is terrible, it has to be charged every day or it will die. Not good for a modern phone. I also have a £10 Nokia from Tesco and that holds its charge for about 2 weeks with constant use.

mamoon2 27 September 2010 04:57 PM

1. It just works nicely

Bad points:

Battery is terrible, it has to be charged every day or it will die. Not good for a modern phone. I also have a £10 Nokia from Tesco and that holds its charge for about 2 weeks with constant use.

Snazy 27 September 2010 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 9622989)

1. It just works nicely

Bad points:

Cool :thumb:
Main reasons for liking a phone there, not often you see that in a thread these days lol.

Are you much of an app person at all?

PS your reasons are pretty much the reason I like my choice of phone too. Its great to agree about something with people using a different phone on a phone thread :D

Geezer 27 September 2010 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by antc (Post 9622958)
also the fact it's the only decent os for smart phones that's available so they don't really have a choice, if they had the option for iOS they'd take that over android in my opinion

Edited for accuracy ;)

Geezer

Scooby Soon! 27 September 2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by antc (Post 9622958)
also the fact it's the only decent os for smart phones that's available so they don't really have a choice, if they had the option for iOS they'd take that over android

heres your answer snazy, there is something about apple products, maybe a mysterious hypnotic screensaver app that runs the first time you turn it on that will brainwash you to fight tooth and nail that iOS is the best and better than everything else.

I recently purchased an ipad because i wanted a new gadget but I can pretty much guarantee that as soon as HTC or similar being out a good android version (which will probably be 6 months away) then I will dump the ipad.

iOS is far too restrictive, i can't even change my email received tone on my ipad and push email does not work unless i open and refresh the email app!

but the ipad/iphone is very pretty and sparkly and thats why everyone buys them ;)

Ant 27 September 2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 9623009)
Edited for accuracy ;)

Geezer

think you'll find it's a fact :D why you ask ? because jack said so :lol1:

Ant 27 September 2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9623013)
heres your answer snazy, there is something about apple products, maybe a mysterious hypnotic screensaver app that runs the first time you turn it on that will brainwash you to fight tooth and nail that iOS is the best and better than everything else.

I recently purchased an ipad because i wanted a new gadget but I can pretty much guarantee that as soon as HTC or similar being out a good android version (which will probably be 6 months away) then I will dump the ipad.

iOS is far too restrictive, i can't even change my email received tone on my ipad and push email does not work unless i open and refresh the email app!

but the ipad/iphone is very pretty and sparkly and thats why everyone buys them ;)

IMO iOS is better then then android well comparing to my missus galaxy s :thumb:

Snazy 27 September 2010 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9623013)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I find it hard not to do the norm and agree totally with the opening statement. But I shall refrain.

I have to agree with the comments on the tones and stuff, and am looking forwards to the Tab, and am hoping we get the same deal as the Spanish with the free keyboard dock :D

Im a pretty light user of my iPad I have to say, and only have a few apps that I use regularly, but it still throws up some irritations.

JPL 27 September 2010 09:45 PM

- I own an iPod, therefore I am connected to iTunes for ease/simplicity

- My wife migrated to the iPhone from a BB and I had to set it all up, migrate calendars, contacts and the rest, the iPhone was a breeze to use (compared to what I know).

- My boy has an iPod Touch and regularly wants to spend a fiver to get some more apps (games), on my Apple account. (Which you can download again to any iPhone / Touch registered to that account, so I only have to pay once).

- My previous phone was a (work paid) standard Nokia and I was bored of it.

Because of the above I got the new iPhone. I love how it integrates all I want/wanted in one device. All it needs is to be waterproof :p

Evolution Stu 28 September 2010 01:02 PM

I am an ex Apple iPhone hater but recently tried the iPhone 4 for a while and found I really liked it and found it so damn intuitive I just had to have one. I already have iPods so iTunes felt natural and easy to use and there really is a useful App for almost anything! I kept the iPhone 4 alongside my Desire for a while until I was sure I wanted to keep the iPhone for good, then moved the desire on for a tidy profit using good old eBay.

Only problems I find are:
1) No way to easily archive old text messages.
2) Battery life is quite poor. (But acceptable for such a thin device.)
3) "Probably" very poor waterproofing.

That said, I use the web and various office and PDF docs a LOT on my phones and most phones fall massively short here when compared to the iPhone 4. Also, its screen resolution really is amazing! The camera is about as good as they really get at the moment and its video editing capability is an added bonus.

Here is one I made on the iPhone 4 only yesterday as a test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fgf8ij1Xt0