ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   RIP Shoya Tomizawa, killed in Moto2 today (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/849766-rip-shoya-tomizawa-killed-in-moto2-today.html)

urban 06 September 2010 10:20 AM

I watched this - very sad indeed.

However, all the riders understand the risks.
Thankfully these are by and large freak incidents

bigsinky 06 September 2010 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by p1mark (Post 9584822)

I'm sure it did not contribute to his death but nontheless it was a terrible bit of race management / marshalling.

I did not see what happened clearly first time, so i rewound the sky+.When i saw it properly i felt ill and could not watch it again.

VERY talented rider with a big future ahead of hm and apparently very popular in the paddock. Those who saw him win the first round of Moto2 earlier this year in stunning fashion will agree.

Thanks for the heads up. Not something i would like to see.

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9584980)

having watch moto gp and the even bigger SBK races i would disagree. deaths are a common occurance at most of the road racing in Northern Ireland and IOM. This year in Moto GP both Rossi and de Puniet have both broken legs. these bikes require 100% concentration throughout the race or they seem to spit you out. i watched the practice session on Friday and it doesnt matter if you are a veteran rider or a rookie, one lapse and your off.

This also follows on from the death of the 13 year old last week at Indianapolis as well.

Milamber 06 September 2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9584980)

Unfortunately the 2nd in 7 days. Peter Lenz died at Indianappolis. 13 years old.:(

Leslie 06 September 2010 11:08 AM

I missed that particular race and am glad I did.

Very sorry to hear about his death.

Les

urban 06 September 2010 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 9585018)
having watch moto gp and the even bigger SBK races i would disagree. deaths are a common occurance at most of the road racing in Northern Ireland and IOM.

OK, I wasn't talking about road racing - thats just absurd on a whole different level.
Racing down a public road at 180mph with trees and concrete posts to hit when you come off.

Circuit racing is a lot safer nowadays I'd say - loads of run off areas etc.
Yes - people have spills.
Trying too hard/a moments loss of concentration will see high sides etc which can result in broken bones etc.

Originally Posted by Milamber (Post 9585045)
Unfortunately the 2nd in 7 days. Peter Lenz died at Indianappolis. 13 years old.:(

Yes thats unfortunate, but what about prior to last week?

Milamber 06 September 2010 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9585054)

Yes thats unfortunate, but what about prior to last week?

Well, in the WSBK this week somebody else fell off and was run over by another bike :eek:

davyboy 06 September 2010 12:13 PM

These bikes are way safer than the old 500cc 2 strokes. With smoother power and traction control.

Now they really did used to spit the riders off regularly. Rossi's broken leg is the biggest injury he has suffered in his career. All of the 500cc riders got injured pretty bad!

Bravo2zero_sps 06 September 2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 9585140)
All of the 500cc riders got injured pretty bad!

Mick Doohan was the modern day Barry Sheene 6 million dollar man! His scrap metal value must be wroth a fortune.

MooseRacer 06 September 2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 9585140)
These bikes are way safer than the old 500cc 2 strokes. With smoother power and traction control.

Now they really did used to spit the riders off regularly. Rossi's broken leg is the biggest injury he has suffered in his career. All of the 500cc riders got injured pretty bad!

Rossi was a 500cc rider ;)

RIP Shoya :(

Oilburner 06 September 2010 07:06 PM

RIP Tomi #48 and Lenz #45 the way the marshals handled the whole incident was a disgrace they should have stopped the race to allow the injured riders to be treated properly rather than sling them on stretchers and cart them off.Just for interest the last 500cc/MotoGP world champ to die on the track was Gary Hocking who was practicing for an F1 race at the time after ironically quitting motorcycle racing as he thought it too dangerous.The riders know the risks they take but they do it for the love of the sport.In my book anyone who is good enough to be in the GP paddock is a hero

p1mark 06 September 2010 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Oilburner (Post 9585934)
RIP Tomi #48 and Lenz #45 the way the marshals handled the whole incident was a disgrace they should have stopped the race to allow the injured riders to be treated properly rather than sling them on stretchers and cart them off.Just for interest the last 500cc/MotoGP world champ to die on the track was Gary Hocking who was practicing for an F1 race at the time after ironically quitting motorcycle racing as he thought it too dangerous.The riders know the risks they take but they do it for the love of the sport.In my book anyone who is good enough to be in the GP paddock is a hero

Dajirho Katoh was killed a few years ago at Suzuka in the early years of the 990cc moto GP Era. He was not a moto GP champ but absolutely dominated the 250cc world champ the year before.

Jamie 06 September 2010 09:14 PM

19 a young one :(

RIP :(

Oilburner 06 September 2010 09:39 PM

Daijiro Katos death was one of the main reasons for the decision to go from 990cc to 800cc also MotoGP has never been back to Suzuka since.Also he won the 250cc title in 2001,spent the 2002 season racing a Honda NSR500 two stroke before completing the last 4 races of the 2002 season on the RCV 4 stroke

urban 07 September 2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 9586313)
19 a young one :(

RIP :(

Yes - but 13 is even younger :(

nik52wrx 07 September 2010 07:49 PM

Probably the worst accident i have seen in all my years of watching motorcycle racing.

RIP Shoya.

Incidently did anyone notice the marshall attending a crash on lap 15 carrying the crash protection bag. Strolling along with his mirrored aviators and cigarette hanging out of his mouth, not very wise with race fuel!

Circuit owners should be subject to an investigation of some sort.
Riders suffering such huge accidents should not be scooped onto stretchers and in Shoya's case dropped in order to keep a race going.

Nik.

shamone 07 September 2010 08:53 PM

RIP Shoya - you will be missed

Jamie 07 September 2010 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9586865)
Yes - but 13 is even younger :(

He was 19 you ****:brickwall

Milamber 07 September 2010 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 9588221)
He was 19 you ****:brickwall

I think he was talking about Peter Lenz you cock :lol1:

Jamie 07 September 2010 09:18 PM

Furry muff :)

Milamber 07 September 2010 09:19 PM

:D

ritchie21 12 September 2010 09:12 PM

Just to update, the Italian Prosecutors are investigation the marchalls and track officials to see if their actions contributed in anyway to Tomi's death (ie not red flagging the race, dropping him on the stretcher) and if so, manslaughter charges may follow.

The Rig 12 September 2010 09:19 PM

In theory they should of stopped the race etc,but in all honesty, i dont think even dropping him contributed,the way he was mullered by the 2 bikes,that was enough to finish him,the one bike had its forks ripped off from the headstock and all it hit ( i say all) was tomizawa.

RIP Bud