ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Apple iPad - Stunning. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/820553-apple-ipad-stunning.html)

Scooby Soon! 08 March 2010 02:42 PM

looks good, if only someone could come up with an idea to combine the ipad with some sort of keyboard like a laptop so it was easy to type on:

http://images.apple.com/ipad/specs/i...1_20100127.jpg

and some way of supporting it at an angle similar to a laptop

http://images.apple.com/ipad/specs/i...4_20100127.png

and some way of charging and uploading to it similar to a laptop

http://images.apple.com/ipad/specs/i...k_20100127.jpg

and a way of easily adding photos to it like you can on a laptop:

http://images.apple.com/ipad/specs/i...s_20100127.jpg

on second thoughts I will just stick to my Dell XPS 13 laptop........

lordharding 08 March 2010 02:42 PM

Better take one of my folding chairs as well as my sleeping bag and the misses to keep me company
it will be a long wait but talking to the other geeks will keep me sane I hope !

Have a desk top in my office upstairs but find the laptop an awkward shape when sitting in bed to the small hours as her indoors doesn't like the laptop balanced on her head when she is sleeping

Never use any functions on the laptop apart from Internet so can't see the point of a MacBook and half the time the boy wants to use the laptop so have to revert to the iPhone for a couple of hours use a day and think the small screen is effecting my eyes

Ipad is all I need for my uses

MJW 08 March 2010 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9272030)
Right now I'm buying the iPad, why just have something faster when I can have something game changing. A fortunate position I know.

Not exactly game changing though is it ? The iPod Touch & the iPhone were, but the iPad isn't. It's like Apple is trying to compete with itself !! But I suppose when you have a particularly zealous customer base with high disposable incomes it doesn't really matter ..

JackClark 08 March 2010 02:50 PM

Well F1 fan, using that logic I'll still have my Macbook so I'll have 190% functionality won't I. :D

JackClark 08 March 2010 02:59 PM

It's game changing all right, as a small example ask owners of the multitude of ebook things who paid the same or more if the functionality is the same or greater, ask them if they'd prefer an iPad. The ebook game has been changed.

Ask the owners of high end photo frames who paid the same or more if the functionality is the same or greater, ask them if they'd prefer an iPad.

It's also going to ring the death bell for millions of sales of hand held game consoles and make the fortunes of thousands of developers.

How many products have achieved that in the past, well, there's the iPhone of course and Apple having achieved this task before are more than ready to do it again.

If it's not game changing then take me up on a bet that Microsoft and others will release something similar to try to keep up.

STi wanna Subaru 08 March 2010 03:07 PM

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...rplus/jizz.gif

MJW 08 March 2010 03:09 PM

Hmm I'm not so sure that people buying digital photo frames are the same target market as the iPad, it's not as though you're going to leave it on your mantlepiece cycling photos all day. Also I don't think Nintendo's DS or Sony's PSP have much to worry about with the iPad taking chunks out of their markets, although it may attract 'casual gamers' who don't mind being limited by the touch-only interface.
I think Microsoft have already dipped their toes in the touchscreen PC market & Windows 7 is fully touchscreen compliant, but whether they or any other manufacturer decides to go all out in competition with the iPad depends on how well it sells after the initial release.

Snazy 08 March 2010 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9272107)

If it's not game changing then take me up on a bet that Microsoft and others will release something similar to try to keep up.

Not a very good bet, seeing as the Microsoft one is already in the making. And interesting that the reviewers say "dont buy an iPad just yet"

I agree with the rest of it though, it can indeed replace some of the listed items. But I cant see people buying it just to be a digital photo frame can you ?
Hand held games consoles, again I would not furnish a 10yr old with a £500 iPad just to play games on, and so on.

It will find its rightful place im sure, but its surely not accurate to compare it to every consumer electronic out there.

IWatkins 08 March 2010 03:41 PM

As for eBook readers, well mine was half the price (cheaper still now) than the iPad, battery life much better than the iPad and does what I want, to display text on screen so I can read it.

If my eBook exploded on the 3rd of April, then maybe I would consider the iPad, assuming the display can be turned down enough for nighttime reading and can also be read in full direct sunlight.

All the other functionality I've got on my netbook, also at half the price and that gadget can do a lot more than the iPad, but I admit it doesn't have a touch screen (nor does it need one).

So, if you took away all my gadgets, then I would seriously consider the iPad. But right now, it's not for me. Maybe with version 2.

Now, as for wanting one, oh yes please. :) :) But bottom line is I don't need one right now.

Cheers

Ian

john banks 08 March 2010 04:22 PM

Was going to watch the video but I can't be bothered downloading the bloat that is Quicktime for it to forever sit in my system tray consuming resources.

Geezer 08 March 2010 04:26 PM

It's game changing all right, as a small example ask owners of the multitude of ebook things who paid the same or more if the functionality is the same or greater, ask them if they'd prefer an iPad. The ebook game has been changed.

If all you want is a ebook reader, then there are cheaper, probably better as they are dedicated too, so no joy there.

Ask the owners of high end photo frames who paid the same or more if the functionality is the same or greater, ask them if they'd prefer an iPad.

£500 for a photo frame? Sheesh, I bet it would be a lot better than the iPad!!! Moving on.......

It's also going to ring the death bell for millions of sales of hand held game consoles and make the fortunes of thousands of developers.

Oh yeah, 'cos a device as big as the iPad is soooo much more convenient than a DS or PSP:Whatever_. I suppose if everyone wears clown's trousers it may be.

How many products have achieved that in the past, well, there's the iPhone of course and Apple having achieved this task before are more than ready to do it again.

iPhone is a game changer, but then again it is convenient and it's a phone, two things the iPad will never be.

That is not game changing, that is simply a company wishing to get market share. Why miss out? There is a market for iPad for people who carry Netbooks about, but not for any of the reasons you have mentioned.

Geezer

f1_fan 08 March 2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 9272264)
Was going to watch the video but I can't be bothered downloading the bloat that is Quicktime for it to forever sit in my system tray consuming resources.

Likewise, the worst video delivery mechanism on the web!!

hutton_d 08 March 2010 05:05 PM

I like this though .... Microsoft's dual-screen booklet shows 'face' on web ? The Register

I would definitely consider this device *if* it became available. Seems much more user friendly (size-wise) and useful.

Dave

stevebt 08 March 2010 05:20 PM

I'll definately be getting one when they come out, a reasonable netbook is over £200. Since it plays the apps from the iphone it will be the cheapest gaming laptop around after the intial spend. Quality games for your pc for 59p or a max of say £6 I think it will give some hand held consoles a run for their money.

Scoobychick 08 March 2010 05:32 PM

Why do you all knock each other for wanting certain things? I just don't get it :confused: I have no need for an iPad but I'd like one because it would make browsing the interweb in bed or whilst laying on the sofa a little bit easier. And it's soft and shiny :D

Who cares if you need a product or not, surely it's all about wanting it? You men are weird :p

darts_aint_sport 08 March 2010 05:59 PM

Because, Scoobychick, I find it hard enough getting a seat in a coffee shop as it is with all the Apple trendys sitting there making a small cappucino last 2 hours whilst sapping the free wifi, without yet another shiney waste of money coming out from Apple to encourage it.

Trout 08 March 2010 06:03 PM

That's right because you never get non-Apple people buying coffee in coffee shops using up all the bandwidth!

Scoobychick 08 March 2010 06:05 PM

I think the iPad would be ideal for carrying about in my handbag and using in coffee shops whilst I linger over a latte :D

Geezer 08 March 2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobychick (Post 9272413)
Who cares if you need a product or not, surely it's all about wanting it? You men are weird :p

Apply that logic to your boyfriend/partner/husband then.....

"that's ok darling, if you want to screw her, even if you don't need to......." :D:norty:

Geezer

Trout 08 March 2010 06:21 PM

You mean using an iPad is like cheating on your PC.

Now criticism really has reached the realm of the ridiculous!

lordharding 08 March 2010 06:23 PM

I going to get some extra large jeans made with big pockets on the sides so I can carry mine around and even going to buy the misses a large wag style handbag so she can carry it for me as I normally have to sit for hours while she trys on new clothes

J4CKO 08 March 2010 06:26 PM

I have enough gadgets with LCD screens in my life,

Iopd Touch
Blackberry
N95
Archos
Iriver
3 Laptops
etc

Do I need an Ipad, not at all,

Do I want one, of course, shiny shiny, but I shall wait, I don't queue outside shops for anything, one thing that rankles me a little is I dont want to look like, or get respect is due off Apple fanpersons.

Snazy 08 March 2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobychick (Post 9272490)
I think the iPad would be ideal for carrying about in my handbag and using in coffee shops to carry my drinks and muffins to the table

:thumb: Spot on, introducing, the iTray

Definatly moved the game forward from the 1st Gen

http://www.allianceonline.co.uk/prod...s/LHWT3438.jpg

Scooby Soon! 08 March 2010 06:56 PM

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-cont...ad-Jeans_1.jpg

Xx-IAN-xX 08 March 2010 07:20 PM

Surprised this thread hasn't been moved to the computer section yet :lol1:

Trout 08 March 2010 07:32 PM

That's because it isn't a computer, it's a, well, it's a...

...oh f***, it's an iPad :D

Xx-IAN-xX 08 March 2010 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9272741)
That's because it isn't a computer, it's a, well, it's a...

...oh f***, it's an iPad :D

:D

wayne9t9 08 March 2010 08:07 PM

Your gonna need a replacement screen every time it slips off your lap. Looks too shiny to me.

dsmith 08 March 2010 10:57 PM

Been left utterly cold by everything apple so far..I admire the stlye and tech but haven't felt the need to pay the extra. Always been a PC fan rather than a Mac....but....

I'll be looking for an iPad this summer though. I have a big old PC in the study for gaming and photo editing etc. I dont want to do that on a laptop. I do have an old laptop in the lounger purely for surfing and its that that will be replaced. I want a nice slick easy to use apple OS on a device I can leave around the house and just pick up and surf etc. Helps that I can control all sorts of lights and the heating etc from a browser. I doubt mine would leave the house.

ScoobyDoo555 09 March 2010 12:12 AM

Well I can actually find a proper application for it. The e-reader? meh. etc etc etc....

Some may know that I'm heavily into Music Production. THIS is where I see it doing quite well - as a either VPN, or Pro-Remote for a recording package on a studio-based computer. eg you're a lone performer, recording in the live room, but the computer is in the Control room......

IPad is perfect for this.

Also, as a teaching tool to pass around a class........ interactiveness. Nothing that a PC Tablet doesn't do, except for the music tech apps that are Mac-native.....

Just a couple of "off-the-top-of-my-head" thoughts.....

Will I be getting one. No.

I'll be getting two for work.

Dan