ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Fuel prices???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/820376-fuel-prices.html)

corradoboy 09 March 2010 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by paulbu (Post 9273589)
The price of petrol isn't high enough. The government should put the price up by around 20p per litre, scrap road tax with all its silly differentials including some being allowed on the roads free of charge, and then the real polluters, those who do the most miles per annum would pay for the privilege. Those of us who do around 5k per annum and paying £400 plus road fund licence are the ones being raped.

To recoup the same money as road tax they would only need 1p/l on fuel. Road tax is used more as a way of making it difficult to keep unroadworthy vehicles more these days. The necessity for tax and MOT and insurance together and the many ways now of checking this is removing a lot of wrecks and their scrote owners from the roads.

SunnySideUp 09 March 2010 01:27 PM

To be honest, if petrol was £5 a Litre then the roads would be clear for me to drive as fast as I like - and that would be a good thing :thumb:

Chavs, those on benefits and the stupid can walk :D

EH52WRX 09 March 2010 01:40 PM

LOL, Thats a bit controversial, but true.

SunnySideUp 09 March 2010 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by EH52WRX (Post 9274388)
LOL, Thats a bit controversial, but true.

Ooooops, that's not like me to say something controversial :)

snOOpy86 09 March 2010 02:49 PM

petrol light came on when i got to work yesterday so HAD to put some bp ultimate in (yuck) £10 @ 1.23.9, got to the tescos near home and filled up at 1.13.

glad others have noticed the price going up, im sure it wont be long till it becomes 1.50 a litre!

wrx287 09 March 2010 02:51 PM

V-Power by me is up to 125.9:(
Tesco 99 is up to 119.9.

Proby521 09 March 2010 03:47 PM

I don't take much notice of the petrol prices, as the scoob does minimal mileage. I do however take note of diesel prices, as doing circa 700/800 mile in a week I use a fair bit. I'm now getting screwed because I get flat rate mileage fees from work, and struggling to break even. I've noticed it going from £1.09/l to nearly £1.22 in some places!

chris-RB5 09 March 2010 07:51 PM

Scooby road block anyone???

The Rig 09 March 2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by richard1522 (Post 9269708)
its got to £1.25 in gloucester for v-power.

where the feck you buying yours from,not the shell/bugens in quedgeley ?

£1.15 on the longford bypass,but dont comment on how cheap it is to the checout guys !!!!!!!!!

340BHP-WRX 09 March 2010 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 9275220)
where the feck you buying yours from,not the shell/bugens in quedgeley ?

£1.15 on the longford bypass,but dont comment on how cheap it is to the checout guys !!!!!!!!!

I always got my V-Power from the Shell garage on the longford bypass. It's cheaper than all the other shell garages in the area.

The Rig 09 March 2010 08:12 PM

:smug: Yup,it used to be cheltenham,its always 7p dearer above regular in chelt and most places but for some reason,the longford bypass is only 2-3p dearer than their regular:luxhello:

Geds 10 March 2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by snOOpy86 (Post 9274480)
petrol light came on when i got to work yesterday so HAD to put some bp ultimate in (yuck) £10 @ 1.23.9, got to the tescos near home and filled up at 1.13.

glad others have noticed the price going up, im sure it wont be long till it becomes 1.50 a litre!

From reading several fuel related threads I am starting to feel the consensus of opinion over BP Ultimate is pretty poor. Several referring to how their scoobs don't like it.

What's the reason for this? Is there actually any substance to the dislike such as problems running on it? Reason I ask is that I only run on it; And the motor seems happier on it than anything else. Most of the fuel suppliers here in NI can't be trusted so you have to go to a big name to be reasonably sure of what your getting.:brickwall

StrikE 10 March 2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by paulbu (Post 9273589)
The price of petrol isn't high enough. The government should put the price up by around 20p per litre, scrap road tax with all its silly differentials including some being allowed on the roads free of charge, and then the real polluters, those who do the most miles per annum would pay for the privilege. Those of us who do around 5k per annum and paying £400 plus road fund licence are the ones being raped.

:thumb:

I agree & why should i pay more for my scooby than the auld chunt next door?
2000+ miles i done last year :(
Why should i pay £2500+ for council tax when the muppets accross the road get a discount of 80%? I work & they DO NOT

Any government is a rip off

Geds 10 March 2010 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9269633)
No outcry, because it is not the taxes which are responsible.

Originally Posted by hoskib (Post 9269713)
eh? how do you figure that? granted it's not purely down to tax/duty but we had a duty rise when VAT was dropped, then VAT went back up and there's a further duty rise due soon.

all in probably at least 8p on the litre.

and when was the last time you saw petrol prices falling?

CORRECT Hoskib - BS SSU
Very little of the current fuel price is due to normal market demand / supply economics. In fact the price /litre build up is Duty 52%, VAT 13%, Product 28%, Retailer 8% meaning the government are directly responsible for at least 65% of the price of a litre. And that is only going to get worse after the next duty increase...
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...petrol0909.png
Source Price of Petrol in the UK - PetrolPrices.com (2009)
We in the UK are getting bent over and taken by the big lad. And as the OP quite rightly pointed out- nobody is doing anything about it.

I rem the price went to 80 odd ppl and the trucker's were blocking refinerys and holding rolling road blocks. Where are they now at £1.20+?? :cuckoo:Are the businesses quietly getting rebates to appease them??

I can't believe how quietly the populace has accepted this abuse. Not just on the environment tax that is fuel duty but also on the road tax. I should start a whole nother post on that flawed, unfair, untargeted form of exploitation.

Our countries contribution to global warming is negligable compared to the US and China. Why should we pay through the nose while they show zero accountability - laughing all the way from the pump?

Our government hide behind the facade of the environment. Fuel duty and road tax is simply part of their economic recovery strategy. It is only going to get worse. Just wait until the election is over. Then we'll be getting spit roasted never mind taken from behind. Pussies:Suspiciou

The French wouldn't stand for this:wonder:

Connor_scotland 10 March 2010 11:58 AM

I can't be arsed paying £1.20.9 for VPOWER but there is nothing i can solely do so i just carry on as i love driving the scooby.

I new petrol would go up and if it really bothered me i would of bought a derv but i dont care lol

pslewis 10 March 2010 12:57 PM

It looks really foolish Scooby owners compalining about the price of fuel .... the very same people who then modify their car and get it re-mapped so it now does 1/2 the miles per tankful!! :lol1:

bruvjon 10 March 2010 01:10 PM

Say something interesting now you've got your user name back instead of slating mapped cars and there lack of mpg compared to your boggo standard one Pete it's getting boring

Geds 10 March 2010 01:46 PM

This has nothing to do with driving a thirsty car. The only relevance of the type of car is whether you can afford to drive it or not.

I could be driving a 70 mpg hybrid and doing 2000 miles/ann and would still begrudge giving the state their undeserved coin taken through badly targeted, taxes.

corradoboy 10 March 2010 03:23 PM

Remember what Clarkson proved recently too when the 4.0 V8 M3 averaged 2mpg more than a Prious, it's not ALL about what you drive, but how it's driven. I could get 33mpg from my Scoob if I drove like Miss Daisy. I average 53 in the missuses Octavia, when she only manages 43, and I have Seen over 70 when really trying.