ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Anti Roll Bar Configuration Comparison (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/810287-anti-roll-bar-configuration-comparison.html)

dynamix 18 January 2010 08:22 PM

I agree.

It is through that process and trying it out that we learn the best set up.

Personally though, Paul at Zen is god on handling.

belliott69 18 January 2010 08:23 PM

i'm about to do my rear arb and droplinks as from what i'd heard from most, thats the best thing to do for the handling.

IainMilford 18 January 2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 9165756)
I agree.

It is through that process and trying it out that we learn the best set up.

Personally though, Paul at Zen is god on handling.

Besides my scooby my other hobby is racing on road nitro rc cars, in one day I can test countless different spring rates, damper oil, shock positions, arb settings, camber etc etc if only it was as easy with a full size car :)

With regards to Kayens earlier question, my car is currently a daily driver with some track use, soon to be a weekend car for fun with more regular track use, so I'm happy to go for a more aggresive setup than a 'fast road' set up, but something that can still be effective on the road .. :)

RonnieB 18 January 2010 08:48 PM

Not tryin to hijack this post but......

I have a Whiteline rear ARB on my 06 STI.
Haven't uprated the drop links though. Thinking up upgrading them to Whitleline drop links this weekend myslef. Also thinking about getting Whiteline ALK fitted (at a a garage) and then having the gemometry done.

Any comments on both ideas? Would a see a decent handling improvement? Would I need to upgrade anything else to make these work?
Must admit when I had the ARB replaced I thought the improvement was significant.

Cheers

Ronnie

Kayen 18 January 2010 09:01 PM

Well installing the WL Droplinks are going to help stiffen up and maximize your current WL ARB. I am not to sure on how much of difference you will feel and it will also depend on other suspension modifications that you have already done.

As for the ALK that should/will make a tremendous difference especially under initial turn in as well as under heavy braking. I am not sure if you will be able to enjoy it much, being that it's winter though. I am not all that sure how your winters are, but it's mostly snow/ice covered roads here lol.

IainMilford 18 January 2010 09:37 PM

our winter was last week ......... ;) back to normal grey and dull skies now :lol1:

RonnieB 18 January 2010 10:30 PM

Same here, winter gone just dull and damp.

I have uprated springs already but no other mods on the front end as far as suspension or steering is concerned.
Would this be ok to fit the ALK, wouldn't want to ruin the ride or break/stress any other partsm

Kayen 18 January 2010 11:38 PM

I think you would be better off getting a Front ARB before the ALK honestly... You will notice the performance gains a lot more so from that.

dunx 19 January 2010 01:16 PM

Get advice on later cars as they are a better spec than "us with" older models.....

ALK is a positive, but way more expensive than the rear ARB, so not as good value.

IMHO

dunx

P.S. I have the ALK and an adjustable front ARB.... LOL

RonnieB 19 January 2010 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9166984)
Get advice on later cars as they are a better spec than "us with" older models.....

ALK is a positive, but way more expensive than the rear ARB, so not as good value.

IMHO

dunx

P.S. I have the ALK and an adjustable front ARB.... LOL

After all that probably gunna save up and get some coilovers rather than wastin money doin bits and bobs.
But boy are they bloomin expensive..... Be savin up til christmas....... 2012 LOL

greatgonzo 19 January 2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieB (Post 9165852)
Not tryin to hijack this post but......

I have a Whiteline rear ARB on my 06 STI.
Haven't uprated the drop links though. Thinking up upgrading them to Whitleline drop links this weekend myslef. Also thinking about getting Whiteline ALK fitted (at a a garage) and then having the gemometry done.

Any comments on both ideas? Would a see a decent handling improvement? Would I need to upgrade anything else to make these work?
Must admit when I had the ARB replaced I thought the improvement was significant.

Cheers

Ronnie

I have been told by a few reliable people on here that the standard drop links on the 06-07 STI's are a very good, and don't need replacing for fast road use.

C8 DHC 04WRX 19 January 2010 08:24 PM

What size are the original front arbs?

Had a quick look and it seems different years have different thicknesses.

What would my 04wrx have at the front as standard?

Kayen 19 January 2010 08:32 PM

Well I am sure the front ARB never changed from year to year but the Rear ARB did. So your 04 WRX should be a 20mm Solid bar.

[-(o)-] 19 January 2010 09:41 PM

I'll add my 10 pence. 22mm adjustable Rear and steel droplinks all round on otherwise std STi v5 with fast road geo. Currently on middle setting and certainly don't get any oversteer unless I try on a wet roundabout. Little bit of power understeer so need to get some more caster on the front. ARB was a good improvement, but coupled with droplinks and steering rack bushes I reckon it was as much difference again.

On the roads round my way going any stiffer on the ARBs isn't an option and the JDM suspension is pretty stiff for starters. I am a sympathetic driver but would say both Scoobs I've had respond better to a less smooth style. That may just be the wooden steering, but overall I'm happy.

Dave Y 22 January 2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye (Post 9162428)
Take a look at the revolution website they are doing the Eibach kits cheap again I have these on my 02 WRX and it's spot on. They are also a much better quality finish than the whitelines.

cant find the revolution website,where are they based?:wonder:

dynamix 22 January 2010 10:58 AM

Revolution247.com

Blackwood Boy 22 January 2010 05:22 PM

Sorry to but in here peoples but Ive read through this thread and im pretty sure this question will be obvious to most. Ive got a JDM Classic WRX and carnt for the life of me figure out if i can upgrade the front ARB. The reason i think this is because of the ball-joint droplinks on the front, im aware that i can just replace these with new ball-joint links, but can these be changed to the uprated alloy links? i.e the solid WL alloy drop links? Any comments?:freak3:

dunx 22 January 2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieB (Post 9167155)
After all that probably gunna save up and get some coilovers rather than wastin money doin bits and bobs.
But boy are they bloomin expensive..... Be savin up til christmas....... 2012 LOL

But they still work with shocks, I fitted the full raft of Whiteline goodies first. Then added a set of Tein coilovers as my STI gear was seven years old...

dunx

dunx 22 January 2010 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwood Boy (Post 9173965)
Sorry to but in here peoples but Ive read through this thread and im pretty sure this question will be obvious to most. Ive got a JDM Classic WRX and carnt for the life of me figure out if i can upgrade the front ARB. The reason i think this is because of the ball-joint droplinks on the front, im aware that i can just replace these with new ball-joint links, but can these be changed to the uprated alloy links? i.e the solid WL alloy drop links? Any comments?:freak3:

Try cusco kid on here, he knows the models from year dot onwards....

Blackwood Boy 22 January 2010 05:44 PM

cheers fella, just looked him up :thumb:

AshMurc 22 January 2010 09:48 PM

have to say i agree with everything DUNX has posted here. Think he responed to my thread on a similar topic couple of years ago or so :thumb:

i went to 22mm rear+droplinks-- brilliant, superb difference.

then did the same to the front.

i now run them harest setting front and rear after trying quite a few combinations. great handeling, i could keep up with the bikers through Glen Shee... not bad for a 13year old estate car :)

dunx 23 January 2010 06:00 PM

Shucks...

dunx

P.S. I'm quite "swift" for an old man....