ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Nearly bought a cat d car dealer did not disclose.. Advise Please! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/798422-nearly-bought-a-cat-d-car-dealer-did-not-disclose-advise-please.html)

ScatRat 03 November 2009 12:09 PM

As asaid they are legally bound to disclose the vehicle is a cat d, and they give you a contract to sign stating yhe acceptance at purchase,

Where is this place...
im on a mobile device so cant read all comments

ALi-B 03 November 2009 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9032853)
Threaten him with a trip to the Small Claims Court. The costs involved will make it not worth hanging onto the deposit.

Les

Legal threats are all well and good, but tread carefully:

If its a small sales pitch and he gets too much hassle, the dealer could just bump the business, close down, and set up elsewhere, relieving himself of any previous issues.

Its something I see weekly with small and slightly iffy businesses - Slight hint of trouble legal or financial, bump, closed.

RJM25R 03 November 2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV (Post 9032850)
You're rather missing the point: upon being informed by the buyer that the car was a Cat D (and therefore not as advertised) he has refused to return the deposit. If he didn't know up front it was a Cat D (unlikely if he knows his stuff) then at the point he found out he should have offered to reduce the price or hand the deposit back.

Morally, yes. But how moral are car dealres in your experience?;)

RJM25R 03 November 2009 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ScatRat (Post 9032864)
As asaid they are legally bound to disclose the vehicle is a cat d, and they give you a contract to sign stating yhe acceptance at purchase,

ONLY if they are aware themselves. The usual defence is "oh, is it a cat d? I didn't know"

Luan Pra bang 03 November 2009 10:51 PM

A dealer is legally obliged to check a car before sale and that includes an HPI check as well as basic checks to ensure the mileage is genuine. If this has not been done they are obliged to take the car back and refund the money paid. Legally the dealer has to return the deposit there is absolutely no doubt about that. I would phone him and state very plainly that you know the law and will be taking him to court.
Every dealer who knows a thing writes cat a-b-c etc on any receipt for a car that is on the register to prevent people trying to return a car or take the dealer to court claiming that they did not know that it was a cat d.
I would also suggest that you drop hints about pouring paint stripper all over his forcourt if he does not return the money.

Luan Pra bang 03 November 2009 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by RJM25R (Post 9033804)
ONLY if they are aware themselves. The usual defence is "oh, is it a cat d? I didn't know"

As a motor trader it is your responsability to HPI check a car I did not know does not wash if you are a trader only if you are a private seller.

pimmo2000 04 November 2009 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang (Post 9034102)
A dealer is legally obliged to check a car before sale and that includes an HPI check as well as basic checks to ensure the mileage is genuine. If this has not been done they are obliged to take the car back and refund the money paid. Legally the dealer has to return the deposit there is absolutely no doubt about that. I would phone him and state very plainly that you know the law and will be taking him to court.
Every dealer who knows a thing writes cat a-b-c etc on any receipt for a car that is on the register to prevent people trying to return a car or take the dealer to court claiming that they did not know that it was a cat d.
I would also suggest that you drop hints about pouring paint stripper all over his forcourt if he does not return the money.

:Suspiciou threatening him .. not the best advice.. he might react to that and come get you ..

Simon K 04 November 2009 08:11 AM

Any update on this issue ?? Lots of great tips / advice has been suggested. Time to call the man and see what happens.

SBK

falkster 04 November 2009 09:10 AM

I saw Taken last week.....that would be a great way.

Take the two adverts to the CAB. They will see the changes, even if he then says he wasn't aware until you mentioned it you are still entitled to a refund as the car isn't as described.