ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   just bought a ps3...... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/798088-just-bought-a-ps3.html)

richie001 01 November 2009 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by scarey (Post 9030392)

will leave it running whilst away next week hopefully downloading might have finished by the time I get back on Friday.....dont think I'll hold my breath mind you!

Let's hope you don't get a power cut. :lol1:

scarey 01 November 2009 10:19 PM

oh and i refuse to spend a fraudulent FIFTY quid on a wireless dongle that I'd need to get the 360 online to then have two consoles that only download and dont actually play games, before forza 3 will run.

scarey 01 November 2009 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by richie001 (Post 9030414)
Let's hope you don't get a power cut. :lol1:

:hjtwofing

it wont let me play any games anyhow so may as well not have any 'lecccy :razz:

GMballistic 02 November 2009 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by scarey (Post 9030433)
:hjtwofing

it wont let me play any games anyhow so may as well not have any 'lecccy :razz:

:lol1: Don't worry it'll be worth it in the end:thumb:

Funkii Munkii 02 November 2009 03:26 AM

As someone already suggested can you not download the updates to your pc and transfer on a stick, probably a lot quicker ?

DJ Dunk 02 November 2009 09:26 AM

You can download firmware udpates from the net and install from USB - games updates, however, you can't. Most game updates aren't mandatory though, so if you won't be playing online at that time, just don't update. Install the updates when you have more time and want to go online.

Never had issues with updates downloading on mine and it consistently maxs out my (11Mbps odd) connection.

The mandatory game installs are more of a pain when you just want to play.

ScoobyJawa 02 November 2009 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 9029556)
rubbish, had mine a year and have had about 5 updates

IYHO. Its not rubbish at all, I'm not just talking about Firmware, I'm talking about game updates too - combination of the 2 I've had loads :hjtwofing

scarey 02 November 2009 12:07 PM

well when I left home at 03:50 this morning it had finished it's downloading and the game was ready to play, so I switched it off and will play on Friday assuming there are no new downloads by then!

Granby 02 November 2009 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by scarey (Post 9031031)
well when I left home at 03:50 this morning it had finished it's downloading and the game was ready to play, so I switched it off and will play on Friday assuming there are no new downloads by then!

Definitely think there is something wrong with your setup, i've just downloaded a 240Mb demo and it's taken 5 minutes

StickyMicky 02 November 2009 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa (Post 9028915)
I've had to leave it on over an hour before to download updates!!

As for worth it coz the graphics are so much better, I suggest you look at some comparison sites that compare 360 vs PS3 versions of games ;) Ghostbusters is a big case in point, developed for the PS3 but the 360 version gfx runs rings round it!

Dont forget Operation Flashpoint: Dragon rising

The PS3 version has half the grass missing as it could not handle the graphics :cuckoo:

Thing is tho, that some PS3 only games really do look awesome, uncharted 2 looks good, and i was just watching a video of God of War 3 this morning that looks amazing.

urban 02 November 2009 05:13 PM

I must admit I hate the mandatory updates.
Last time I went to have a go on Dirt2 I was forced to do an update.
Only took about 10 or 15 minutes, but it was still pretty inconvenient

On another note re: the posters speeds.
Check what your internet connection test says with regards to the speeds?

I know for sure that my PS3 downloads stuff pretty rapidly and bizzarely enough its actually faster than what I can download using my laptop

P1Fanatic 03 November 2009 01:39 PM

Its annoying if you just want to get online and play but the same for a lot of PC games these days.

There does seem to be something wrong if its taking that long. Mines a lot better since I got it wired to my router with homeplugs.

Uncharted 2 is excellent, at least singleplayer. The Multiplayer had the potential to be good but too many bugs with it. They just patched it after everyone moaned about people quitting games. You now get penaltys for quitting but of course sometimes you lag out, connection dies etc and you still get punished. Bit of a balls up there.

GoW3 demo does look sweet but not really my type of game.

Next Tuesday is booked off so my copy of MW2 best arrive (Im hoping on Monday as shopto normally deliver pre-orders early).

Simon

LEUVEN 03 November 2009 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by G00ner (Post 9029996)
Oh please, please tell us what you know, I'm itching to know, do you have a highly placed source somewhere within the technology industry? :rolleyes:

:lol1:

:lol:

Geezer 03 November 2009 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic (Post 9033034)
There does seem to be something wrong if its taking that long. Mines a lot better since I got it wired to my router with homeplugs.

I'm using Homeplugs too, and downloads of games, updates and firmware is excellent. It was woeful using wireless I have to say. Downloading now is as fast as thruough my PC.

Geezer