ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Windows 7 the all new mighty OS (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/794071-windows-7-the-all-new-mighty-os.html)

hutton_d 20 October 2009 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9007012)

however to then type in the same password and get to the wallpaper first showing the total time from switch on is:

vista = 53 seconds
win 7 - 1m 48 seconds!!!

Which is what the link in the OP alludes to and this as well Windows 7 does not boot faster - The Inquirer

(think they point to the same *study*).

Dave

Bravo2zero_sps 20 October 2009 10:02 AM

I'm just shocked that there can be such a big difference in the boot times. Everyone slags Vista off but it really is great for me on my laptop. 53 seconds to the desktop on what is now a 2 year old machine I think is good.

Iain Young 20 October 2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9007012)
The only thing I can think of is that Vista is using Dell drivers and Win 7 is using its own drivers (apart from video). There aren't any Dell Win 7 drivers out yet for my laptop so can't change anything.

I suspect that is exactly the problem. Win7 on my work Dell laptop (a Latitude D820) boots about twice as fast as Vista on the same machine, and shuts down around 4-5 times as fast (both clean installs).

If you have no "real" drivers for your machine, it is likely using drivers that are "compatible", and hence will probably be quite slow.

Bravo2zero_sps 20 October 2009 10:10 AM

Iain did your Dell come with Win7 then? There are no published Dell drivers for my Inspiron, only xp and vista.

The shut down is lightning quick, no doubts there but i'd rather it booted quicker than shut down quicker! Also the fact the Vista build is 2 years old and had lots of cr4p installed on it and it's still miles quicker than a fresh build of Win7.

Bravo2zero_sps 20 October 2009 10:21 AM

Took off Mcafee and removed the network drive mapping, boots to desktop in 48 seconds :lol1:

Will have to uninstall Kaspersky off one of my other machines andinstall that and see what effect that has. It has to have some av on it and Vista is booting to desktop in 53 seconds with Kaspersky running and the same mapped drive.

Iain Young 20 October 2009 10:32 AM

Nope. That machine is about 2 years old. Been running my MSDN copy on there for a while now though. Using the default W7 drivers for most stuff, although I have used nvidia drivers for the graphics.

It's not just startup/shutdown being quicker for me. Building the product I'm currently working on takes around 45 minutes on Vista, and around 25 minutes on W7 (same machine).

Bravo2zero_sps 20 October 2009 10:37 AM

Same as me then just using the nvidia drivers. I haven't got to testing apps yet although again Firefox does seem slow opening under win7. Again could have been Mcafee and it's bloody site advisor cr4p causing that though.

Iain Young 20 October 2009 10:57 AM

I've always found firefox to be a bit sluggish to be honest. However it certainly doesn't run any slower on W7 for me. Sounds like something else is getting in the way. Mcafee is a bit notorious for this sort of thing....