ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   question about a drink driving ban (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/791676-question-about-a-drink-driving-ban.html)

douglasb 27 September 2009 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by LUCKO (Post 8965305)
why is the insurance void? experts on here make me laugh

if it his her 1st drink drive the insurance will pay out no problems

Not necessarily. I know that my insurance (ASDA) has a condition that it will only pay third party claims in the event of an accident if I am over the DD limit. Damage to my car would be my problem. Other insurers with low rates (eg. Quinn Direct) may have the same condition.

I'm not aware of this clause in previous years' insurance so those policies would have paid out.

The real answer is "What does her policy say?". If it says that it won't pay out if she is over the DD limit then she is stuffed. If it doesn't then it should pay out.

I agree though about what will happen to her premiums in future, how easy or otherwise it will be to hire a car, and what conditions any insurer may impose on future (very raised) premiums.

LUCKO 27 September 2009 03:09 PM

over 67 years of age with drink drive ban wont be easy

Sti spec d 27 September 2009 04:04 PM

My cousin got done for drink driving he wrote his car off and got 12 month ban his insurance payed out the full amount for the car. This was five years ago in Nov he said he can now send off to get this taken off his record. He also said he doesnt have to tell insurance companies now, i thougth it was 10 years on your record as people have said above.

EddScott 27 September 2009 08:26 PM

You have to tell insurers for 5 years - or at least they ask you about conviction in the last 5 years.

I got done about 9 years ago. Taxi into town, drank 3 pints then started to drink coke as one of the lads (ex boxer and a complete mentalist) we were with was getting aggressive and I wanted to be sober in case he kicked off. Taxi home and the lad kicks off and decides to single me out, drag me outside for a kicking. I got away, jumped in my much loved GTIR and drove home. Someone called the fuzz and they turned up on my door. My blood reading was 46 (40+ is bannage)

On license for 11 years so get caught again and minimum 3 years I believe.

Tough luck at 70 - was she much over? As for over 70 being too old my mates granddad bought brand new 03STI at 72.

salsa-king 28 September 2009 07:21 AM

now makes me think she's not telling us everything, maybe only a 9month ban cus shes having to do that driving course thingy that reduces it from 12 months to 9?

dpb 28 September 2009 08:28 AM

Its her choice the driving course thing will reduce it from 12 to 9 months - and 9 months sounds less worse

Jamescsti 28 September 2009 08:43 AM

I personallly think it's time she gave up driving, not having a go at older drivers but it's the fact that her age is against her combined with the DD conviction, prob time to call it a day.

EddScott 28 September 2009 09:26 AM

Sorry guys but saying someone over 70 shouldn't be driving is laughable. The last line of my earlier post isn't BS - his granddad died at 75 and he still had STI because they offered it to me.

I would agree that maybe a slimmed down test would be appropriate because some 70 year olds are more capable than others but to say at 70 you can't drive anymore is silly.

rabbos 28 September 2009 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by LUCKO (Post 8965305)
why is the insurance void? experts on here make me laugh

if it his her 1st drink drive the insurance will pay out no problems

if it his her 2nd/3rd etc the insurance she has in place will have a drink drive clause which automatically reduces policy cover to third party only if she has an rta.

the DR10 endorsement stays on the licence for 11 years from date of conviction

My policy explicitly states cover will be void if under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

hodgy0_2 28 September 2009 10:03 AM

when I passed my test in 1982 aged 17, the "valid to" date seemed along way away

not so far now

salsa-king 28 September 2009 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 8966731)
when I passed my test in 1982 aged 17, the "valid to" date seemed along way away

not so far now

but your insurance has come down lol