ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Fish and Chips (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/784185-fish-and-chips.html)

TopBanana 17 August 2009 05:11 PM

Enjoy good fish & chips, but can't get decent mushy peas down south :(

mamoon2 17 August 2009 05:51 PM

You cant beat Fish, Chips, Peas and Gravy all in one tray. By the time you get it home the gravy has soaked in nice!

Lets list all the proper chippys. Can't think of one round here though, they are all Chinese

J4CKO 17 August 2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mykp (Post 8886518)
J4cko

wheres this mytical chip shop in Alderley Edge.

I used to be a regular at the aforementioned chippy with aforementioned chinese lady (not being funny but she can be a right misterable b!tch sometimes) and there chips make my guts ill recently, where talking cleans me out, so it must be a change of the oil!

Fosters Fish and Chip Shop

Next to De Trafford Arms, I think you may be reffering to the same place as me, opposite the Famers arms pub, serves a purpose I suppose, Curry Chip and a Pie after several in the pub mainly.

tanyatriangles 17 August 2009 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 8886092)
Decided to have chippy on Saturday evening after a marathon decorating session as neither of us could be arsed to cook. Must say it was lush, big slab of nice flaky white fish (doubt it's actually cod these days)

Cod?????????????????? Nooooooooooooooooooo!:nono:

For a start, they have a horrid worm on them, and secondly, they are a bottom feeder. No self-respecting fisherman will eat cod, they say you are eating dead sailors:eek:

Haddock..........prince of fish.

Simon 69 17 August 2009 09:48 PM

Grimsby's an haddock town :)

TB: you cant get owt moist!

mykp 17 August 2009 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 8886972)
Fosters Fish and Chip Shop

Next to De Trafford Arms, I think you may be reffering to the same place as me, opposite the Famers arms pub, serves a purpose I suppose, Curry Chip and a Pie after several in the pub mainly.

I'll give them try on the way home, next time i'm working at the airport :thumb:

J4CKO 17 August 2009 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by mykp (Post 8887351)
I'll give them try on the way home, next time i'm working at the airport :thumb:

Report back your findings !

Skoobie Dhu 17 August 2009 10:00 PM

English fish and chips = Cod
Scottish fish and chips = Haddock:thumb:

J4CKO 17 August 2009 10:05 PM

Irish Fish and Chips = Meat and Potato Pie.

mykp 17 August 2009 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 8887396)
Irish Fish and Chips = Meat and Potato Pie.

:lol:

I thought it was a Potato, potato pie :D

ChrisB 18 August 2009 08:51 AM

The Magpie in Whitby - they use beef dripping - heaven :D

Shame that the queue for the restaurant is usually out of the door... but if you know the right people you can jump it.

ScoobyJawa 18 August 2009 09:41 AM

Best Chish and Fips I ever had was in Whitby - mmmmmmmmmm :D

Can't eat em anywhere now, whatever new oil they use just doesn't agree with me :( Might have to do a 270 mile trip to the Magpie!

Klaatu 18 August 2009 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by oldsplice (Post 8886676)
What about fush and chups from Doyle's fish bar in Sydney? :thumb:

And has anyone tried McCain's 'Simply Gorgeous Oven Chips' ? They're basted in beef dripping and are pretty damn good for oven chips! :D

I am sure you've asked me this ages ago.... There are a couple, if you are talking about the one down opposite the Opera House, I have eaten there but was unimpressed, too touristy and waaayyyy over priced. Have yet to try the others.

McCain sells stuff basted in beef dripping, are you sure about that? I though products like that (Like suet and lard) have been banned in the UK, thanks to the EU.