ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Driver advice needed (golf) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/774855-driver-advice-needed-golf.html)

fitzscoob 02 July 2009 01:27 PM

I always find that if you try one of your mates clubs, and you hit 2 or 3 sweet in your head a little light bulb goes off "fk me a magic club that puts the ball where I want it!"

Then you go and buy the same one, identical in every way - until you hit it.

Duck hook, angel rapers, fat, thin, tops, slice.....

I'm taking tomorrow off to play golf. Very nearly played to my handicap last week, so the tide might have finally turned.

hoskib 02 July 2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by fitzscoob (Post 8798750)
I always find that if you try one of your mates clubs, and you hit 2 or 3 sweet in your head a little light bulb goes off "fk me a magic club that puts the ball where I want it!"

Then you go and buy the same one, identical in every way - until you hit it.

Duck hook, angel rapers, fat, thin, tops, slice.....

I'm taking tomorrow off to play golf. Very nearly played to my handicap last week, so the tide might have finally turned.

trying to hard, the downfall of all amatuer golfers:lol1:

the very best shot i've ever hit was having a go of my bosses TaylorMade R7 cgb irons, something daft like £120 per club when they came out. i was 5hitting myself so much as not to fcuk the face up or mark it, i hit such a smooth, slow swing it was as near to perfect as my swing will ever get. (normally i just rip the 5hit out of it;))

Golf - 90% mental. 10% mental:D

salsa-king 02 July 2009 09:39 PM

Pullingg themleft at the mo... never really done that before.

using Strixon AD333 and Calaway BigBerther balls too.

Think i'll have a practice tmorrrow eveing really for saturday's captains day comp. :)

FlightMan 02 July 2009 10:05 PM

Try varying your tee height? I find that after a few months, my poor shot is a slice. It's almost always because I'm teeing the ball lower than I'd like. If you're pulling them, you maybe teeing it a tad high.

The Dogs B******s 02 July 2009 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 8799632)
Try varying your tee height? I find that after a few months, my poor shot is a slice. It's almost always because I'm teeing the ball lower than I'd like. If you're pulling them, you maybe teeing it a tad high.

I think thats what im doing:(

salsa-king 02 July 2009 10:19 PM

I'm using a PINK plastic castle tee :eek:

Godspeed Brakes 03 July 2009 08:20 AM

When I hit it left its because I'm too fast with my wrists , same when hitting it right , not releasing , if I tee it up to high , I sky it , doesn't happen that often though , have the top of your driver level with the centre of the ball.

I have an 8.5 degree Ping stiff shafted T isi driver which I get on great with

Cheers Ian

jasey 03 July 2009 08:31 AM

I often find that when I think too much about tee shots on getting poor results I'm better just setting up as normal then shutting my eyes when hitting the damned thing :thumb: :D

Scrappy9 03 July 2009 09:36 AM

Ping G10 seems to work for me.

Agree with teeing the ball higher as the sweet spot on the big headed drivers does seem to be high on the face, also with a drive you want to be catching the ball just as the club starts on the up swing.

Pulling the ball left in my experience is normally caused by the club path being 'out to in' with the club face closed om impact. (Assuming you are a right handed golfer).

The same swing with the club face is square or open normally results in a fade or slice

Gav 03 July 2009 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scrappy9 (Post 8800080)
Ping G10 seems to work for me.

Agree with teeing the ball higher as the sweet spot on the big headed drivers does seem to be high on the face, also with a drive you want to be catching the ball just as the club starts on the up swing.

Pulling the ball left in my experience is normally caused by the club path being 'out to in' with the club face closed om impact. (Assuming you are a right handed golfer).

The same swing with the club face is square or open normally results in a fade or slice

It completely depends on HOW the ball is going left. Is the ball setting off on target then turning left? Or is it starting left and staying straight or is it starting left and going left:eek:

All three require a different path to the ball:)

Scrappy9 03 July 2009 02:50 PM

Whilst there is some merit in what you say, the poster said he is 'Pullingg themleft at the mo...'

I would suggest that most golfers would recognise a pull as a shot that starts left and carries on left.

In the context of explaining the most likely cause of a pull my reply is valid.

If the poster had described the ball finishing left by another means for example a hook or a draw I would have given a different answer.

Gav 03 July 2009 03:19 PM

It wasnt a dig at you and apologies if it came across that way:)

It was more of a question for Salsa as to what shot he's hitting:thumb:

hoskib 03 July 2009 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scrappy9 (Post 8800587)

I would suggest that most golfers would recognise a pull as a shot that starts left and carries on left.

wouldn't that be a hook? :wonder:
i always had it down that starting on the right then coming in to the left is a draw
a hook starts straight/little left then veers off left
and a pull is a straight line shot, just off target to the left?

might be wrong. i'm only jealous anyway, i can't get away from a fade:razz:

not sure why salsa's range swing isn't the same as his course swing, but i wonder if going from a neutral driver to a draw weight biased and closed face driver is giving him this shot? stick all the weight in the toe, might work:)

Scrappy9 03 July 2009 03:31 PM

No worries, running on a short fuse today, will be happier once I am out of the office and on the golf course :)

Scrappy9 03 July 2009 03:48 PM

wouldn't that be a hook?
i always had it down that starting on the right then coming in to the left is a draw
a hook starts straight/little left then veers off left
and a pull is a straight line shot, just off target to the left?Yes I wouldn't disagree with

Would agree that a ball that starts right of the target line then moves back to where you where aiming is a draw.
But if you are aiming to the left rough when you set up, you can start the ball down the fairway then the top spin comes in and draws the ball left into the rough.

Was always taught GASP - Grip - Aligment - Stance - Posture get those right and the games a doddle - getting them right is the hard bit :)

Gav 03 July 2009 04:12 PM

A hook is when it starts right ( for a right handed player, i'm a leftie:razz: ) and then bends too far left giving a hook shape. A pull is when it starts left and then goes further left or stays straight.

Gav
Professor of golf shots - BaHons D.D.S P.P.P;)

hoskib 03 July 2009 05:15 PM

ah, gotcha:) straight would do me;)

bit off topic, but maybe applies - just come back from the driving range trying out a TM rescue against a Cobra BafflerTWS (awesome club by the way) the Rescue is reg steel shaft and the Cobra is a stiff graphite.
the Rescue has my trusty fade but the Cobra was either dead straight or a slight pull. no fade or slice. maybe Salsa's problems are down to the shaft? just a thought:)

Daryl 03 July 2009 10:26 PM

A draw and a hook are the same shot really, occurring when the clubface at impact is closed relative to the swingpath.

The subtle difference is that a draw is the result of an in to out swingpath with a closed clubface and a hook is the result of an out to in swingpath with a closed clubface. The former starts right and finishes in the middle of the fairway, the latter starts left and keeps going left!

The same theory applies to a fade and a slice, but the clubface is open at impact.

A pull or push is where the ball flies on a straight line left or right of the target and occurs when the clubface is square at impact but the swingpath is out to in or in to out respectively.

salsa-king 03 July 2009 10:55 PM

what have I started lol

anyway, not takingthe club back now lol

done 9holes tonight... in preparation for the captains day tomorrow... tee off at 8:02am

slowed my backswing down and narrowed my stance and stood a bit ferter away fromthe ball. :)

front nine did a 41 :)

I went...
1st 4
2nd 5 (three putted!)
3rd 4
4th 4
5th 4
6th 6 (hit trees with he second shot, then third shot hit another tree, on for four and two putts :( )
7th 6
8th 3 (par 3)
9th 5 (through the green for two! )

course card is here...
http://www.mapperleygolfclub.org/pdfs/courseCard.pdf
Mapperley Golf Club - Call 0115 955 6672

drives were so much better and opened up the green for getting on for two, then didn't worry too much bout the putts but they went in ;)

salsa-king 04 July 2009 01:55 PM

played this morning, best game this year.... Captains Day (stab, full handicap)

scored 35 points :/

with two 8's on the card (15th + 16th.. even had two shots on 16!!) kept the score going and had a net 73 :)

we see how I go in the Captain's v Vice Captain's Comp tomorrow afternoon.

hoskib 04 July 2009 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 8802204)
played this morning, best game this year.... Captains Day (stab, full handicap)

scored 35 points :/

with two 8's on the card (15th + 16th.. even had two shots on 16!!) kept the score going and had a net 73 :)

we see how I go in the Captain's v Vice Captain's Comp tomorrow afternoon.

cool:thumb: how do you feel the driver compares to the old one on the course? easier to hit, longer/shorter etc?

in other words will it stay off of ebay?;)

salsa-king 04 July 2009 06:29 PM

driver feels a lot better it's easier to hit the ball with out a shank or slice etc, i've just got to slow down my swing to control the shot. But to say we were off the back pots today the distance i achived was a lot better than my old club. its opened up a whole new shot to the green now lol

i think with a bit more practice and control I'll start getting better distance too.

worth buy and also having my irons re gripped last week has made a load of difference as well.

Gav 04 July 2009 08:34 PM

congrats mate, with a few more games with it I'm sure your handicap will fly down! Short game is the key!!!

:)

hoskib 05 July 2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 8802502)
driver feels a lot better it's easier to hit the ball with out a shank or slice etc, i've just got to slow down my swing to control the shot. But to say we were off the back pots today the distance i achived was a lot better than my old club. its opened up a whole new shot to the green now lol

i think with a bit more practice and control I'll start getting better distance too.

worth buy and also having my irons re gripped last week has made a load of difference as well.

nice one:) it does make life a bit easier these new drivers doesn't it?
i never really like to rate a new stick until it's been used on the course under competition conditions, i never take my range shots onto the course (probably why i don't bother going to the range very often;)) so the first time it's used in anger gives me an idea how it'll perform for me. glad yours is turning out to be a good buy:thumb:

no Gav, the key is to hit it as hard as you can, find it, then hit it as hard as you can again until you eventually get down the hole. psshh, don't you know nothing? :rolleyes:

;)

salsa-king 05 July 2009 11:00 AM

will see how I go on in the betterball match play in a few hours ;)

me thinks I gotta arrange a Scooby golf day now, put ppls golf talk where their mouth is. lol
could be a bit of fun, get some scooby companies to sponsor longest drive, nearest the pin etc.
I'll see today about getting a day sorted at my club.

who'd be up for it?

Gav 06 July 2009 11:47 AM

Unfair advantage for Salsa me thinks!!! Needs to be neutral ground but somewhere in the midlands is fine by me and i'd be up for it.

hoskib your right i know nothing:thumb:

fitzscoob 06 July 2009 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by scoobygav555 (Post 8805324)
Unfair advantage for Salsa me thinks!!! Needs to be neutral ground but somewhere in the midlands is fine by me and i'd be up for it.

Neutral would be down south.... :)

I played on Sunday, on the tee for 8, which was quite an achievement considering I was sitll in my local at gone 2:30 that morning. I spent 5 hours in the heat, trying to play without throwing up on my shoes every time I addressed the ball.

Needless to say, coming in 8 over my handicap was no surprise.

Highlight of the day, being in a fairway bunker on a par 5, playing partner abusing me telling me I wont get a 6 iron out. Changed clubs to a 4 iron, pin high for two, burned the hole with my eagle putt, tap in birdie -yes still finished 8 over my handicap....

hoskib 06 July 2009 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by fitzscoob (Post 8805436)
trying to play without throwing up on my shoes every time I addressed the ball.

Needless to say, coming in 8 over my handicap was no surprise.

sounds like me most competition days:lol1: always seem to draw a 7-7.30 tee time after a night out :mad:

funnily enough i seem to play my best golf when hungover :wonder: one of my best rounds of golf at my club i don't remember half of it!

hoskib 06 July 2009 06:11 PM

yeah, yeah, pound a hole i suppose;) :D

salsa-king 06 July 2009 06:34 PM

no, cus if I organise it i wouldn't have time to play in the comp :) so fair for all me thinks :)