ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cut in VAT 'boosts retail sales' (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/759278-cut-in-vat-boosts-retail-sales.html)

chocolate_o_brian 13 April 2009 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8638417)
My car does about 35mpg ..... that's if I have a 45 Litre tank (which I think I have) - but, some on here say I have a 60 Litre tank.

I get 350 miles from a tank.

You get 350 miles from 45 litres, so you would technically be able to get around 450-460 jiles from a full tank.

Sorry but I will never belive that in a million years.

How come you dodged my other points Pete?

f1_fan 13 April 2009 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 8637840)
People not seeing far enough ahead down the road to realise that its decisions like that which the tories are going to be left to make in a year or so time. Instantly making them the villans in the eyes of the blinkered masses.

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 8637896)
This is clearly the case. Its almost a no brainer that Labour will be ousted. Conservatives will be in and they have one hell of a sh1tty stick to deal with. They aren't magicians so the problems we have now won't just disappear. Conservatives will blame labour for the hand they were dealt. Labour will blame the conservatives for not being able to manage and before you know it Labour will be back in.

Oh come on guys, surely we all know that it isn't going to make any difference which party is in power. They are all greedy, self serving, short termist, career politicians who would think nothing of selling their own grandmothers to make a few quid. The only difference is the colour of the rosette pinned to their lapels. Sorry, but it's the truth.

SunnySideUp 13 April 2009 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 8638554)
You get 350 miles from 45 litres, so you would technically be able to get around 450-460 jiles from a full tank.

Sorry but I will never belive that in a million years.

What's a JILE? :lol1:

chocolate_o_brian 13 April 2009 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8638633)
What's a JILE? :lol1:

It's a spelling mistake for mile. 'J' and 'M' are quite close on the keyboard and I do have arthritis, apologies.

Anywho, my point? Or did you wanna dodge it? :)

Jamz3k 13 April 2009 09:59 PM

aul PSlewis is as slippery as a freshly squeezed TURD nestled inside 2 thick slices of well buttered plain white bread.

jjones 13 April 2009 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8638417)
My car does about 35mpg ..... that's if I have a 45 Litre tank (which I think I have) - but, some on here say I have a 60 Litre tank.

I get 350 miles from a tank.

ah the rocket engineer who infamously doesn't know (and still doesn't by the look of it) how to calculate his MPG.

sorry to have brought this back up pete, but some of the newer members will not have heard :)

chocolate_o_brian 13 April 2009 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by jjones (Post 8638816)
ah the rocket engineer who infamously doesn't know (and still doesn't by the look of it) how to calculate his MPG.

sorry to have brought this back up pete, but some of the newer members will not have heard :)

Do tell ;)

Lisawrx 13 April 2009 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 8638423)
The general public seam to want to think they are getting a better deal before they will part with the cash.

We had a little brain storm at work and figured we would try out a new technique to boost sales, we put up banners and posters telling everybody about our new "special offer", and watched them flood in, only the price is the same that it has been for the past 2 years? :eek:

I still can not actually believe that worked :lol:

We have offers not too different from that at work on a regular basis. People want to think they are saving, so some tickets and signs, and bob's your uncle. For example, we had some stuff on sale recently, at the weekend, the prices went back up to normal. By Tuesday, they were (with some extras to be fair) all reduced by 20% as an Easter sale. The previously reduced products actually worked out more expensive with 20% off, but we sold more than before.

Back to the VAT thing. Pete, do you honestly think most people are even still seein this benefit, day to day, i.e. normal shopping? Say an item cost £5. When the cut came in the 2.5% would have been taken off at the till. Shops go with that for a few weeks or so, then signs go up to say this will no longer happen (probably making people think the saving is on the shelf). Now the same item is still £5 only there is no reduction anymore, so we are not actually saving anything anymore, we are still paying the same amount out of our pockets, the store is now just making more, as they are saving on the tax. Tbh, this has probably been more of a benefit for shops than average people, which I guess if it helps less go under it's no bad thing, but certainly no real good thing for the consumer.

I agree with what others have said, there are far more reasons for any increase in spending than this.

Snazy 14 April 2009 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 8638594)
Oh come on guys, surely we all know that it isn't going to make any difference which party is in power. They are all greedy, self serving, short termist, career politicians who would think nothing of selling their own grandmothers to make a few quid. The only difference is the colour of the rosette pinned to their lapels. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Not for one second suggesting they will right all wrongs. Merely pointing out that the Blair/Brown "legacy" will tarnish their first term, with all the unfortunate unpopular changes that will be needed.

Im sure Brown will bail and call the GE when it reaches the point of hiking taxes etc.

Leslie 14 April 2009 12:41 PM

Sooner or later they will get to the end of the money they can borrow to make things look better than they are, just as they did ever since they took power.

They may even have reached the borrowing limit already but the amount of money they can print also has a finite amount before galloping inflation sets in! Desperation methods rule OK!

SSuP, you may choose not to remember that I told you quite some time ago that the chickens would come home to roost when you were praising Flash and Billy Liar to the high heavens for their prudence and the unsurpassable way that they were running the economy!

Les

StickyMicky 14 April 2009 12:56 PM

Just wait until the VAT goes back up ;)

Snazy 14 April 2009 01:05 PM

back up to what though.... 18-19 20% ?
I will be suprised if it only goes back and STAYS at 17.5%

Thats when the plan will actually spin in to action, taking more money from everyday consumers to pay back the massive borrowing.

Coffin Dodger 14 April 2009 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8637593)
Pretty impressive that your Scooby is going so well after all this time SSuP, especially since you don't have a Scooby, a Kocklink, a Dawes device and you don't change the oil properly!

Edited for correctness :)

BMW still going well Pete?

Gear Head 14 April 2009 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 8639771)
back up to what though.... 18-19 20% ?
I will be suprised if it only goes back and STAYS at 17.5%

Thats when the plan will actually spin in to action, taking more money from everyday consumers to pay back the massive borrowing.

But it is the 'everyday' person that has borrowed to much anyway, is it not? :wonder: What goes around comes around. :thumb:

Coffin Dodger 14 April 2009 01:16 PM

I'm fuming that Poundland haven't passed on the VAT cut to there customers. Went in there the other day and everything is still priced at £1, not 98p as expected :mad:

Snazy 14 April 2009 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 8639787)
But it is the 'everyday' person that has borrowed to much anyway, is it not? :wonder: What goes around comes around. :thumb:

lol if your mate at work borrowed £10k more than he could afford, is it your place to pay his debt back.

I think we are merging issues here to make an arguement that does not in fact exist.

Snazy 14 April 2009 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 8639797)
I'm fuming that Poundland haven't passed on the VAT cut to there customers. Went in there the other day and everything is still priced at £1, not 98p as expected :mad:

lol imagine how many 2p pieces they would need!

SunnySideUp 14 April 2009 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8639701)
SSuP, you may choose not to remember that I told you quite some time ago that the chickens would come home to roost when you were praising Flash and Billy Liar to the high heavens for their prudence and the unsurpassable way that they were running the economy!

Les

OH, I remember ..... but, 11 full years of the best wealth creation this country has ever known did dull my senses somewhat ;)

And then came along the WORLDWIDE crisis and messed up all the good work!

No-one was held at gunpoint and told to borrow, it's about time the current generation grew some balls and took reponsibilty for their actions - I'm sure you will agree Les.

The Zohan 14 April 2009 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8639876)
OH, I remember ..... but, 11 full years of the best wealth creation this country has ever known did dull my senses somewhat ;)

No-one was held at gunpoint and told to borrow, it's about time the current generation grew some balls and took reponsibilty for their actions - I'm sure you will agree Les.

Oh shut up you trolling tart!

You spout the same diatribe each time, as you have done so shall I.:)

NL took all the credit for creating the wealthy society

NL shoulder non of the blame when it all went pear shaped

NL did not put away any money for a rainy day such as this crisis.

NL have created a generations of people who know their rights and not their responsibilities.

NL created the toothless and ineffective FSA who did nothing whilst these big financial institutions went about making stupid and reckless decisions and making money hand over fist.

FlightMan 14 April 2009 02:08 PM

It wasn't wealth creation though was it. It was all an illusion.

Buy a house, wait 6 months, MEW and spend £20k on a 4x4 and a summer holiday. You're rich. Wait another 6 months. Do it all again. Skiing in the Alps anyone?

But look at the longer term, and you're nothing but a slave to debt. Debt has become the new wealth. The more you have, the richer you are!

What a fecked up country.

MJW 14 April 2009 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 8639896)

NL created the toothless and ineffective FSA who did nothing whilst these big financial institutions went about making stupid and reckless decisions and making money hand over fist.

The SIB (which went on to become the FSA) was created by the Tories in 1985 ....

The Zohan 14 April 2009 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 8639922)
The SIB (which went on to become the FSA) was created by the Tories in 1985 ....

Yup, Brown thought it right to give them a wider remit and more powers - he did a great job!;)

Leslie 15 April 2009 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8639876)

Yes to an extent Pete, but some people became wealthy, we know very well who of course, and others were sucked in to borrowing beyond their means. Unwise of course and they will be in deep stuck now. Cheap money and the wish to have it all now!

Paul has covered it pretty well, the illusion of a strong economy came from overborrowing and also spending the cash by the authorities in a way which was largely useless to the country and also saved nothing for when it all blew up in their faces. He even flogged off half of our gold reserves at the lowest possible price of course! The country was not earning that money!

We are going to be paying for all that in spades, and for a very long time! Borrowing all those billions and effectively printing money will surely lead to very high taxes to go with gross inflation eventually while the heads of the banks will continue to coin it from our taxes. We have not seen anything yet!

Les