ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   a civic typer R puts into perspective how bad my car is (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/754588-a-civic-typer-r-puts-into-perspective-how-bad-my-car-is.html)

delcbr 22 March 2009 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by nisr227 (Post 8592920)
What makes you think it was standard? Just becuase they are NA and get nearly 200 bhp out of a 2.0 litre from the factory doesn't mean it can't be improved. Companies like CPL and TDi north have developed these cars well, spending less than £2k on header/manifold, exhaust, induction, remap and a few other bits can get nearly 235-240bhp and slightly reduce weight too (1203kg standard, probably less than 1190kg with mentioned mods), means they are hitting 200-205bhp per ton too (more than enough for a fwd cars).

Obviously they really fly (once moving) if the owner has gone down the forced induction route of supercharger/turbo, just attend Santapod/York quartermile to see a few hiting 10secs for fwd (!)

I know its only a basic comparision, but check the 60-100 figures out from my site below between a standard CTR, a Boxster S, and a 235bhp CTR, I always say if the 60-100 (ie. performance one moving) figures are within 10% then on the road there isn't going too much of a noticable difference, going by this, I would say the CTR had some mods:

STANDARD CIVIC TYPE R 197BHP
Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 197
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1203
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 166.39
0 - 60 (Secs) : 6.60
0 - 100 (Secs) : 16.84 (autocar timed one 16.2secs to 100)
60 - 100 (Secs) : 10.27
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.96
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 94.28
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.76
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 95.93

BOXSTER 3.2 S 260BHP
Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 260
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1320
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 200.13
0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.50
0 - 100 (Secs) : 13.59
60 - 100 (Secs) : 8.09
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.84
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 100.91
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.74
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 102.07

MODIFIED CIVIC TYPE R - say 235BHP (if it can get its power down):
Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 235
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1190
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 200.65
0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.67
0 - 100 (Secs) : 13.75
60 - 100 (Secs) : 8.08
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.04
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 101.02
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.84
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 102.83

what site is that is it letstorquebhp.com?

i always thought that modern normally aspirated cars couldnt really be improved on much without gas flowing the cylinder head and even at that would net you a 10% gain if done correctly. see here Puma Race Engines - General Engine Tuning Guide - how much power you can get from different tuning modifications and you would just be throwing money down the drain for little gain maybe iam wrong.

also i though that my bigger capacity hence more torque would make a big difference over the civic type R it didint.which makes me think of saxoboys threads on the s2000 saying he could keep up with lots of powerful cars with bigger engines enen though the honda engines are lacking in torque.

my workmate has the latest type R and that was pretty much nothing in it compared to mine.

shooter007 22 March 2009 10:18 PM

check out knock hill loads of ctr,s race there

nisr227 23 March 2009 02:09 PM

The lack of torque obviously means you have to work hard all the time, 100% attack, you can't just sit back (its hard work) but driving it really really hard at very high revs means the lack of torque just isn't a problem, relax and you can get seriously caught out by slower cars.

Dlcbr - goto the Honda forums and check out rolling road figures for EP3's, many people have acheived far more with NA tunes than I thought possible. Yes you have to take some dyno figures with a pinch of salt, but they average out to be impressive gains. 220-225bhp with decent exhaust, induction and remap/k-pro, 235-240bhp if you add a 4-2-1 manifold and some other bits, all for £2k is easily done (I've seen some hit near 250 with the same mods, but as I said, I don't believe those rolling roads)

I am not impressed with the new shape CTR performance, Honda quote them heavier at 1270kg (compared to 1203kg for the EP3) but I've heard that owners have acheived even far more than that, closer to 1350kg on weigh bridges.....but its still got the same power as the EP3 (ok its 1bhp more) at 198bhp, combined with a less sophisicated suspension and less space inside, Honda have really got backwards with the latest model. You really need to look at the old model (EP3), or the JDM FN2 model for a more rewarding drive and performance.

This increased weight has been proving in officially timed figures such as Autocar only hitting 0-100 in 18.8secs for the new model, 2.5secs slower than the previous EP3 model (at 16.2secs), before mods. If there isn't much between your Boxster S and the latest shape, then I would suggest you get yours on a rolling road tune becuase it should be quicker, maybe even get a remap?

ryan_fong 23 March 2009 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by nisr227 (Post 8595097)
The lack of torque obviously means you have to work hard all the time, 100% attack, you can't just sit back (its hard work) but driving it really really hard at very high revs means the lack of torque just isn't a problem, relax and you can get seriously caught out by slower cars.

Dlcbr - goto the Honda forums and check out rolling road figures for EP3's, many people have acheived far more with NA tunes than I thought possible. Yes you have to take some dyno figures with a pinch of salt, but they average out to be impressive gains. 220-225bhp with decent exhaust, induction and remap/k-pro, 235-240bhp if you add a 4-2-1 manifold and some other bits, all for £2k is easily done (I've seen some hit near 250 with the same mods, but as I said, I don't believe those rolling roads)

I am not impressed with the new shape CTR performance, Honda quote them heavier at 1270kg (compared to 1203kg for the EP3) but I've heard that owners have acheived even far more than that, closer to 1350kg on weigh bridges.....but its still got the same power as the EP3 (ok its 1bhp more) at 198bhp, combined with a less sophisicated suspension and less space inside, Honda have really got backwards with the latest model. You really need to look at the old model (EP3), or the JDM FN2 model for a more rewarding drive and performance.

This increased weight has been proving in officially timed figures such as Autocar only hitting 0-100 in 18.8secs for the new model, 2.5secs slower than the previous EP3 model (at 16.2secs), before mods. If there isn't much between your Boxster S and the latest shape, then I would suggest you get yours on a rolling road tune becuase it should be quicker, maybe even get a remap?

That's called FD2.. :)

delcbr 23 March 2009 05:00 PM

basically my car just isnt fun to drive compared to the mx5 i had before or the renault 5gtturbo which was mental!! the boxster is just boring lol prob would suit a woman as most of them dont drive fast.
tbh i think porsches are overated unless your talking mid to top level models.i think alot of people jump on the bandwagon with them similar in a way to ducatis.
fancy something turbocharged and punchy and a hoot to drive and very capable but without the running costs of a porsche.

dare i say it....would a 330d wipe the floor with me then lol?

Fabioso 23 March 2009 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by delcbr (Post 8595423)
basically my car just isnt fun to drive compared to the mx5 i had before or the renault 5gtturbo which was mental!! the boxster is just boring lol prob would suit a woman as most of them dont drive fast.
tbh i think porsches are overated unless your talking mid to top level models.i think alot of people jump on the bandwagon with them similar in a way to ducatis.
fancy something turbocharged and punchy and a hoot to drive and very capable but without the running costs of a porsche.

dare i say it....would a 330d wipe the floor with me then lol?

Del, are you sure there isn't something wrong with your Boxster S ? I mean this is a sub 6 to 60 and sub 15 to a tonne car with sublime handling which ok isn't amazingly quick but is not really a slouch either. I'm getting more intrigued to try one now just to see :p I mean a Renault 5 turbo in standard form isn't a quick car these days and nor is an mx-5 unless its been supercharged or turbo'd.

I mean looking at the stats the 06 Boxster S isn't a million miles away from a Cayman and I remember a previous Scoobynetter enthusing about his.

May be it doesn't feel fast but it is. Dunno but if you are totally pissed off with it then it sounds like you gotta do what a man's gotta do :wonder::thumb:

delcbr 23 March 2009 08:41 PM

you mean burn it then claim the insurance haha yea will be looking to part with shortly.

Fabioso 24 March 2009 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by delcbr (Post 8595990)
you mean burn it then claim the insurance haha yea will be looking to part with shortly.

Hahaha yeah I meant p/exing or selling :lol1:

Got any idea what motors you're going to consider next ?

delcbr 24 March 2009 12:52 AM

well was thinking of an evo 9 but not too sure now i think iam wanting away from high running costs il see what happens i think il put it up for sale just before easter.

i always wanted to own an M3 since i was a young un which was the original one back then... now the e46 is within reach so not sure whether to get one i do like the noise and that it puts out a lot of power and it would of trounced a type R no problem or just get a turbod hot hatch or an evo.
i think alot of folk jump on the bandwagon with cars such as the golf gti and 205 gti but ive had much more fun in the 5turbo.and in this day and age its the megane r26 and latest golf gti which gets the good write ups but iam thinking hang on a minute the mazda 3mps can crack 100 in 14 sec dead and has the lsd and are going cheap now so iam quite interested in one of them afaik theres not power increase potential with these engines something to do with the ecu but i think its the fastest out the box comapred to the other hot hatches.would anyone else car to comment?

LMC 24 March 2009 04:50 PM

hit the nail on the head there with the new mazda 3 mps some lad in our street has just bought one in red its stunning have seen it go and it looks very quick if i had just under 10k to play with i know what hatchback i would be getting ;) !

delcbr 24 March 2009 04:52 PM

hey ppl i forgot to mention that my car is running 18's with 265's on the rear and has a fixed rear spoiler which is prob affecting the acceleration what do you think?

Mark1983 24 March 2009 06:11 PM

Who really cares anyway. I'd much rather have the car from Stuttgart than the car from Swindon and I used to own a CTR.

Matteeboy 24 March 2009 07:22 PM

Depends on the driver too - I remember a very good driver in a 106 GTi hanging onto my boot - I was in my 260bhp Gokf R32! I just could not shake him. And then another time an RS6 Avant couldn't get away from me - on a long twisty road with almost no straights so he had no chance to sock me with his killer "mega power" punch.

CTRs are quite quick but the total lack of torque makes them flipping hard work. I did have a play with a Boxster S (driven fairly badly) on a long stretch of the Devon A38 - he should have been a bit quicker but wasn't.

I've also had a CTR struggle to keep up with me on a long hill - this in my 150bhp (but 236lbs/ft) diesel Astra. Clearly the CTR is quicker but not through all gears.

I think small differences in power usually make very little difference. If you want to slay a CTR it has to be something REALLY powerful - either near supercar or an Evo or mega Scoob.

adehook 24 March 2009 07:26 PM

my mate used to have a 2004 ctr with a jackson sc on it.

now that was a porka chaser. he used to chase some serious motors with it,

but the car died after been wrapped round a tree

delcbr 24 March 2009 09:01 PM

just had a look at the top gear power lap times very interesting 535d does it in 1.31.8 look at all the fast cars it beats its in the same ball park as the focus RS and e46 m3!!Top Gear Test Track - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

J4CKO 24 March 2009 09:45 PM

I kept up with a CTR in my grandad spec old shape Saab 9-3 LPT (150 bhp), couldn't pull away, my old Saab was a good example and the 210 BHP Aero I replaced it with needed a remap to feel any quicker, sometimes you just get a good one (or been messed with), in a straight line one traction had been achieved and maintained.

markymark34 24 March 2009 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by delcbr (Post 8598689)
just had a look at the top gear power lap times very interesting 535d does it in 1.31.8 look at all the fast cars it beats its in the same ball park as the focus RS and e46 m3!!Top Gear Test Track - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The e46 M3 was driven by the black stig aka Perry McCarthy who is widely known to be significanly slower than the white stig aka ben collins so it makes comparing some of the older cars with newer ones a bit tricky.

this is a great site
Nordschleife lap records - FastestLaps.com
I challenge you not to waste 30 mins there!!

delcbr 25 March 2009 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by markymark34 (Post 8599198)
The e46 M3 was driven by the black stig aka Perry McCarthy who is widely known to be significanly slower than the white stig aka ben collins so it makes comparing some of the older cars with newer ones a bit tricky.

this is a great site
Nordschleife lap records - FastestLaps.com
I challenge you not to waste 30 mins there!!

thanks i didnt know that and cheers for the link iam at 118 lol
i like the bit to the right hand side which evaluates in detail which of the two cars isd the quikest on the different parts of the circuit.

ScoobyNoobie 25 March 2009 06:05 PM

I'm not sure if this is a rude word on here or not, but did you ever consider a 120d or 330d?
With a very reasonably priced re-map in my GF's 120d m-sport from 40mph to 110mph there was very very little difference between it and a nissan 350Z, and next to nothing between 120d and 2007 R32.
Great fun to drive if you're not too worried about scrubbing off rear tires every 6k mls, and still doing over 40mpg!

You should take a spin in one, the difference between a new 335d and an M3 is so little these days.

rabbos 25 March 2009 08:19 PM

Surely its easier to just let the baseball-capped CTR kid s0d off?

Who cares if at one particular instant another car is moving more rapidly? If you take the bait and 'destroy' him/her then well done, you have proven you're a petty, insecure and egomaniac type. The medal is in the post...

delcbr 25 March 2009 08:44 PM

well this is the other marques forum and we can all say our views in what cars we think are great i enjoy driving it would be a waste to have a performance car and not drive it as such so was wondering what other cars are out there i dont consider myself to be
"a petty, insecure and egomaniac type" lol

Fabioso 25 March 2009 11:20 PM

I know exactly where del is coming from. If you have spent a wedge on a "performance car" and its not living up to expectations as a "performance car" then you're going to be pretty cheesed off about the whole thing.

Now he's trying to establish what car will give him a "feel good" bang for buck. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

rabbos 26 March 2009 02:12 PM

Fair enough, but the cars mentioned in this thread all perform about the same until illegal speeds, which is a lot of consequences to weigh up compared to the need to 'beat' another car!

IMO enjoying a performance car is easily done on a deserted B road in the evening or on track, and should have bu*ger all to do with what other people are doing on the road. That's what I meant by the ego element, which seems to be the driving factor in all these contests on public roads.

nisr227 26 March 2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by rabbos (Post 8602444)
Fair enough, but the cars mentioned in this thread all perform about the same until illegal speeds, which is a lot of consequences to weigh up compared to the need to 'beat' another car!

IMO enjoying a performance car is easily done on a deserted B road in the evening or on track, and should have bu*ger all to do with what other people are doing on the road. That's what I meant by the ego element, which seems to be the driving factor in all these contests on public roads.

True, if you want to have a fast car in a straightline and don't give a crap about speed limits then go and buy a very very highly modified Supra, nothing will stay with it at stupid speeds, bar superbikes. But its your licence as they say.

Personally living in Wales means B road fun is everything to me, which is why a CTR EP3(baseball cap owners ha ha, all cars have them these days including scoobs etc) is a good option providing you can get round the steering issue, its pretty quick, great handling, demands attack, brakes well, really slick gearbox, cheap(ish) to run, and very very reliable with no hot turbos etc to worry about, a damn good car to attack and have fun on B roads in, on your own.

I never ever go into 3 figures on the road, becuase like most I need my licence for my job,and can get my driving thrills below these speeds anyway, 100mph is only exceeded on trackdays, but I still want to know the performance 'upto 100mph' for such days, and I would be lying if I said I (and all of us) don't go above 60 on B roads when the circumstances and conditions allow it now and again, and I want the acceleration to be there in the right gear at a certain speed.

Its also interesting to know which cars cover ground the quickest becuase some people get their thrills that way (eg evo owners), its doesn't mean they are racing against others.

delcbr 27 March 2009 02:03 PM

bmw e46 m3 came up fast behind me today suggesting he wanted a race so i played along there was nothing in it until the m3 got to stretch its legs but from the low to mid range it was the same then his started edging away which is what i expected really looking at the car specs.
but the civic type R's are fast even though their not turbod and are lacking in torque!!

f1_fan 04 April 2009 02:18 AM

Sell the Porsche and buy a CTR. With the spare change buy a Supra and mod it to 600bhp. Then you have the best of both worlds :)