ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Google Street view (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/754368-google-street-view.html)

sKunk 21 March 2009 12:16 PM

Google Street View rocks.

jasonius 21 March 2009 12:27 PM

^^^
is your scoob/house on view..?

pimmo2000 21 March 2009 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jasonius (Post 8590979)
^^^

Wish mine was .. :(

Minitrue 21 March 2009 12:30 PM

Nothings from a satellite. Google maps 'satellite' pictures are actually aerial pictures. Google Streets data is generated from pictures taken from cars which have driven down every road.

My house is very clear: but my opinion remains the same. Suggesting that criminals will target peoples cars as a result of this site is bordering on stupid...

Timwinner 21 March 2009 12:34 PM

Put my neck on the line and say I like it, I still trying to find my car, It looks like its about mid morning when they took the images.
I am more nervous of the flat bed transit that followed me home the other day, thats more of a risk than a picture of my parked car on the internet.

swampster 21 March 2009 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by jasonius (Post 8590979)
^^^

No my house isn't on Street view YET.. but I'm sure it will be eventually, and to be quite frank I really couldn't give a toss if it is/was. Honestly I REALLY would not be concerned about it 1 iota!

I really can't see of what benefit it is to any kind of criminal, unless I'm targeting your street specifically ... in which case I'm gonna go do a personal recce myself and not rely on some shonky potentially upto 5 year old photograph to tell me what the lay of the land is, and what's worth nicking! I might even take my own photographs as I'm going..

To add, it also seems they're doing a fairly good job at obscuring number plates on the fly as well, most i have seen have been completely obliterated. I think IIRC this was a Information Commision concern that needed to be addressed before they got the go ahead in the UK, Streetview has been around for a couple of years now in the US.

eggy790 21 March 2009 03:43 PM

you guys are tits, my house , my parents , and my dads shop are all in plain view and clear!

i can walk around my dam house on it and i can see straight throught the kitchen and see the tap !

my dads is so clear i can ****ing see him through the window at his workplace ! ive emailed my family saying he famous lol

its not good at all , apprently they went round in a car with cameras on it?

someone today was telling me they heard on radio that a person has been using google earth to see houses with a certain roof style and robbing them.. this streetview gives them more to use as research!

its shocking cause mine is a dead end styreet/estate, someone has walked though and been down each roaqd in the estate. crystal clear , never mind blurred..

lolthe bloody lady on my road can be seen with her bright green jacket at the bus stop!

eggy790 21 March 2009 03:46 PM

haha just walking though the area of my house and been passed takeaway and theres a recovery truck blocking road, click further down to see further down road and its doign 3 point turn, pretty neat actually as a few more clicks and its parked on side of road!

suppose its good in town centers and touristy places, not peoples houses/streets and estates like mine which are near absolutely nothing,so have no need to be on there

eggy790 21 March 2009 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by MaDaSS (Post 8590166)
I just cannot think of words strong enough to say how enraged i am at that! You can nye on zoom right into my front f'ing window FFS! Are they real in the head?
Where the f**k do they get off allowing that to be viewed?
No sodding privacy anymore. Google c**ts.

lol ive got to say its pretty good, been seeing this bird for a while# (off net), met up and that,never been to her house..

put her address in and had a nice walk round her garden and i was that close i wanted a go on her trampaline lol i didnt because i think her dad or bro is standing otuside house, its blurred so cnt tell hu it is

scooby1doo1 21 March 2009 03:57 PM

I like it, shame my street int on yet

cornflakes5210 21 March 2009 06:07 PM

i like it it's pretty cool it's not live so whats the problem i saw one of these cars few months ago so i did a lil search and there i was walking across a bridge lol

ze4s 21 March 2009 07:33 PM

I love it and my car is on the drive in it.

If anyone wants to rob it the keys are in the house and they are more than welcome to come and try to get them.

No worse than somone driving around the streets looking for motors to nick. Id be more worried about get my car jacked at the trafic lights

Ginge ! 21 March 2009 08:37 PM

even worse is i cant see my car outside my house BUT i can see it outside my OLD work place along with my OTHER car too,,, and my work is closed so it was the ONLY day i ever borrowed a work van that they done the photos pmsl

CDF Racing 21 March 2009 10:19 PM

interesting .......:lol1:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r.../0719fight.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...ng/1z5ooxz.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...ng/27x2h6e.jpg

I am loving it already! :thumb:

eggy790 21 March 2009 11:31 PM

lol wikd post

Ved 21 March 2009 11:49 PM

Again, google come up with some amazing software. Top stuff and worth the wait. just wish they'd done more than London in the UK.

DanTheMan 22 March 2009 10:54 AM

tinfoil hat

Originally Posted by eggy790 (Post 8591258)
you guys are tits, my house , my parents , and my dads shop are all in plain view and clear!

i can walk around my dam house on it and i can see straight throught the kitchen and see the tap !

my dads is so clear i can ****ing see him through the window at his workplace ! ive emailed my family saying he famous lol

its not good at all , apprently they went round in a car with cameras on it?

someone today was telling me they heard on radio that a person has been using google earth to see houses with a certain roof style and robbing them.. this streetview gives them more to use as research!

its shocking cause mine is a dead end styreet/estate, someone has walked though and been down each roaqd in the estate. crystal clear , never mind blurred..

lolthe bloody lady on my road can be seen with her bright green jacket at the bus stop!

It's worse than that, from the aerial view and the street view you could work out a floor plan including internal doors, how easy would it be for them to break in and sneak around your house in the dark without you even knowing !!! I heard a bloke in the pub saying you can see what type of locks are fitted to the doors too, they could come pre armed with all this knowledge and virtually walk right in. Scary stuff indeed. If you had left your door open when the photos were taken then you can most likely see the car keys hanging in the hall, you could zoom in on the photo and just cut an exact copy or if the photo is not that clear the crims could make a fishing rod exactly the right length to nick them through the letterbox. The best defence is to park a police car on your drive when the photos are taken, that way you are either the law, or in trouble with the law - either way not worth the hassle.
Saying that I expect the crims now have even better targets, I saw a BRINKS armoured van on one photo, so they now know exactly the number of guards, the route, time and place for a cash delivery - much easier pickings eh ?

I wonder if anyone will stop and think about what they can see with their own eyes....;)

jasonius 22 March 2009 02:23 PM

Lol, getting a key cut from a photo is stretching it a little if you ask me..:lol1:

Now that is getting a little paranoid..;)

Having slept on it, my initial shock at seeing my gaff/car has given way to my techie side, which does actually think it's quite impressive..:cool:

Looking at it from another point of view, if any scrote does ever have a go and I found out his address, it would be very easy to choose a place to shoot from as he stepped out his front door..! :norty:

dunx 22 March 2009 02:46 PM

Slightly off topic, I had my "tracker" checked on Friday, the operator said I was parked in an "industrial area" near a railway line....

I moved into the "new build" house over three years ago !

LOL

dunx

P.S. Not on google yet, but I blocked their access as I live on a private road, and said they needed my permission to enter. Tw@s !

Peanuts 23 March 2009 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by DanTheMan (Post 8592648)
I heard a bloke in the pub saying

Oh well in that case it must be true! Why didn't you say sooner? :p

As for for the other comments, well the ones that stick in my mind...

My house and car are clearly visible on google earth, yup, my white RA is on view no problem, also it seems that I had a couple of buddies round at the time because there are 3 scoobs on my drive, good Lord, I'm going to have to move.

As for working out floor plans, you can do that by looking at the window arrangement from any street, the diffused glass is the bathroom by the way ;) Downpipes and soil/vent stacks give away foul connections so thats the bathroom, kitchen, downstairs crapper and en-suite shagged.

Organised crims will check out the place in person first, chancers will have a go anyway so it makes no difference imo and its actually pretty cool when you play about with it.

We have been on CCTV and spywatch for so long now, this isn't a patch on what the world governments are already aware of.

:thumb:

scooby1doo1 23 March 2009 09:47 AM

No plates are blured so no chance of cloning.

DanTheMan 23 March 2009 10:05 AM

Yeah but the window etching's are not blurred, neither are tax discs, so if you used the latest cutting edge digital enhancing software you could still get a result.

Connor_scotland 23 March 2009 11:45 AM

Its just what you can see walking down the street so i dont see what the big deal is.

My mate down south his car etc is on it and he doesnt seem bothered at all.

But it is new software. There is always going to be people moaning and whining about something new.

scooby1doo1 23 March 2009 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by DanTheMan (Post 8594694)
Yeah but the window etching's are not blurred, neither are tax discs, so if you used the latest cutting edge digital enhancing software you could still get a result.

How many theaves have that then, and i dout you could get the plate from digital enhancing the etching or tax.

mirrorman 23 March 2009 12:24 PM

this is awesome, just spent hours walking around tokyo!!!

people that are getting crazy about privicy are being silly, what can you see on google street that you can't see when walking/driving down the roads?

Is there some hidden button that I havn't found that allows people to see through walls?

SCOOBYG 23 March 2009 12:32 PM

Interesting comments guys. Just tell me one thing. Of all of you that have made positive comments about this have had their house broken into and trashed in am attempt to find your car keys and pinch your car?

Connor_scotland 23 March 2009 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by mirrorman (Post 8594895)
this is awesome, just spent hours walking around tokyo!!!

people that are getting crazy about privicy are being silly, what can you see on google street that you can't see when walking/driving down the roads?

Is there some hidden button that I havn't found that allows people to see through walls?

Yea its amazing being able to walk round New York etc spent ages on it

Steve_PPP 23 March 2009 01:47 PM

i think its fantastic, the street view allows you to walk around at ground level like you were there.

think only a few big cities have been photographed anyway?

DanTheMan 23 March 2009 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Connor_scotland (Post 8594816)
Its just what you can see walking down the street so i dont see what the big deal is.

EXACTLY - and it's only what you would have seen a year ago when the pics were taken.

F1 CJE UK 23 March 2009 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Minitrue (Post 8590759)
"Paranoid"? The comments border on plain stupid!

:thumb: yep