ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   335i vs 335d (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/753602-335i-vs-335d.html)

Matteeboy 22 April 2009 10:23 AM

Alan - nope. Driven an older 330i, an X5 (!) with the latest 3.0d engine and a 535d. I need to drive the actual cars to make a decision.
If I got a 330d, I'd chip it.

Janspeed 22 April 2009 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alan C (Post 8655232)
Definitely not like a STI, Powerstation or bolt on tuning for the Scoob. The only way to get a serious upgrade is to go with a ECU flash or one of the RR tunes from Evolve or DMS etc... All other aspects don't do much.

Two lustful additions are the Performance seats and the Performace steering wheel.... :norty:

http://shop.speedreligion.net/ekmps/...ket-seats1.jpg

£1,245 each!!

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/Assets...Wheel_1112.jpg

£627... But shows all the various temps on the centre guage as well as shift change light etc...

Agree with you again, about the tuneability.

The seats look the stuff, and BMW Car mag said that they were really comfy too!

The steering wheel is a nice gadget to have, it's 50/50 (like/dislike) from buyers, from what I understood.

When I get the info from the dealer, I'll post the info.

Matteeboy 22 April 2009 12:31 PM

My Golf R32 actually had pretty similar seats (Konigs) - they look the mutts nuts BUT as a passenger, you cannot sleep while sitting in them! Not an issue for most but we found it a right pain as we did long journeys in the Golf. I also found it hard to get properly comfortable and because they are so "tall", they are a bugger to fold forwards (they touch the roof). Silly practical points but ones that get really annoying! Those do look cool though.

Devildog 22 April 2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8656841)
If I got a 330d, I'd chip it.

Is 0-60 in 6.7 and 155 mph top end not quick enough Matt?

Chalk and cheese compared to your Astra

Turbo2 22 April 2009 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8657068)
My Golf R32 actually had pretty similar seats, they are a bugger to fold forwards (they touch the roof). Silly practical points but ones that get really annoying!

You won't be in the market for a Lotus Sunbeam then?

Matteeboy 22 April 2009 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 8657177)
Is 0-60 in 6.7 and 155 mph top end not quick enough Matt?

Chalk and cheese compared to your Astra

Compared to 0-60 in 5.9/6.0 and stupid mid range torque, no it's not.

Yes I know it's a big step up from the Astra but so what? I've done big steps up and down in the past, driven all sorts yet STILL rate the Astra as an extremely competent car that does pretty much everything for naff all money.

It's also almost 300kgs lighter than the BMW so naturally more nimble. But of course the BMW has many better points - although less space and everyone will hate me (even more) when I get one.

Alan C 22 April 2009 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8657408)
...and everyone will hate me (even more) when I get one.

You can ask BMW for a free Teflon coat for those dishing out the stereo-typical crap that we all hear every now and again...

You also get issued with '101 Great Put Downs' too... works a treat on morons...

Either way, you get used to it. :thumb:

Devildog 23 April 2009 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8657408)
Compared to 0-60 in 5.9/6.0 and stupid mid range torque, no it's not.

Yes I know it's a big step up from the Astra but so what? I've done big steps up and down in the past, driven all sorts yet STILL rate the Astra as an extremely competent car that does pretty much everything for naff all money.

It's also almost 300kgs lighter than the BMW so naturally more nimble. But of course the BMW has many better points - although less space and everyone will hate me (even more) when I get one.

Matt, I'm not dissing you Astra which is a very capable car, just questioning the real world need to spend the extra on a 335d when a standard, warranty intact 330d 0r as posted above 330i would be a hugely competent car.

Two friends have a 335d coupe and a 330d touring and while, yes, the 335 is ultimately the faster, the 330d is not noticably slower on the road.

384 lbs/ft at 1750 is hardly shoddy, and only 44lbs/ft down on the 335d

And I'm going to edit my 0-60 quote - apparently its 6.2 dead for the 330d against 6.1 for the 335d (crap measure, i know, but used for comparative purposes)

Matteeboy 23 April 2009 11:37 AM

Devil - I have a slightly irrational criteria - it must be a good bit faster than my Golf (mk4 R32) was!

I will have a look at the 330d though.

Reffro 23 April 2009 02:13 PM

Can I just add that a chap I know runs his DMS mapped 335d coupe at Santa Pod and on Saturday ran a 13.0 @ 106mph...He was smoking E46 M3's for fun all day. Just incase you were wondering, its running about 350bhp and 530lbs ft. I watched him run most of the day and his worst run was 13.3secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXndCQeU__k

The 335d is stunningly quick standard even more so when mapped. If you look on YouTube you can find videos of his car neck and neck with a 400bhp 335i. You can't argue with that sort of go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZIsc...eature=channel

Oh and him taking out a Z4M for good effect....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b51l...eature=channel

The Chief 23 April 2009 02:15 PM

I take it the 335d is a semi-automatic then i.e. paddleshift because of the torque on a standard box?

Can the 330d be had with a manual box?

Reffro 23 April 2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Chief (Post 8659383)
I take it the 335d is a semi-automatic then i.e. paddleshift because of the torque on a standard box?

Can the 330d be had with a manual box?

335d is only available with 6-sp Auto, with steering wheel paddle change as standard.
330d is available with 6-sp Manual or 6-sp Auto.

Alan C 23 April 2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Reffro (Post 8659380)
Can I just add that a chap I know runs his DMS mapped 335d coupe at Santa Pod and on Saturday ran a 13.0 @ 106mph...He was smoking E46 M3's for fun all day. Just incase you were wondering, its running about 350bhp and 530lbs ft. I watched him run most of the day and his worst run was 13.3secs.

YouTube - BMW 335d vs BMW E46 M3 drag race at Santa Pod Quartermile.

The 335d is stunningly quick standard even more so when mapped. If you look on YouTube you can find videos of his car neck and neck with a 400bhp 335i. You can't argue with that sort of go.

YouTube - BMW 335i vs BMW 335d Drag race santa pod Feb 2009 Both modified ECU for performance

Oh and him taking out a Z4M for good effect....

YouTube - BMW 335d vs Z4M Drag race at Santa Pod 1/4mile April 209

You know Carlos? :D

I've posted his pod times here a few times as he's a good bench mark for a well driven, tuned D owned by a true petrol head.

It's only RR ECU tuned too. No other internals or exhaust.

Alan C 23 April 2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Reffro (Post 8659396)
335d is only available with 6-sp Auto, with steering wheel paddle change as standard.
330d is available with 6-sp Manual or 6-sp Auto.

This is an added bonus for the 330 if you are looking and don't fancy the paddles and want a proper manual.

Originally Posted by Chef :D

They decided that the manual isn't strong enough to take the torque. Especially with the tuning available making well over 500 Ft Lbs. There is talk of the car going into limp mode at anything beyond 700nm, but people have run it beyond that with no issues except when doing some track work... (I think this was Carlos from the BMW forums too...)

markymark34 23 April 2009 07:19 PM

when you tune a manual 330d you will get a bit of a grumble form the manual box with the extra torque, its noticable in 5th and 6th gear on full throttle low revs so im not suprised the manual cant handle the 335ds torque. According to bmwland auto box doesnt have this problem.

having owned 2 330ds the only problem with them is that you keep wishing you had a 335d!!

Alan C 23 April 2009 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by markymark34 (Post 8659899)
...having owned 2 330ds the only problem with them is that you keep wishing you had a 335d!!

Therein lies the problem for anyone having the choice of cars, direct from the horse mouth (unless of course you MUST HAVE a manual.)

Bit like WRX owners.... when a STI passes... :D Sorry.. I couldn't resist, but you get the idea..

This is one reason I didn't consider the 330. I also thought the 335 box, with the paddles, to be pretty special.

Beef 24 April 2009 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Alan C (Post 8659561)
he's a good bench mark for a well driven, tuned D owned by a true petrol head.

The well driven is the kicker - seeing as most of those cars he was against should be able to match those times when well driven. Hell, my boat will do a 13s 1/4 bone stock with less power and less torque.

Alan C 24 April 2009 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Beef (Post 8661299)
The well driven is the kicker - seeing as most of those cars he was against should be able to match those times when well driven. Hell, my boat will do a 13s 1/4 bone stock with less power and less torque.

No point discussing power to weight.... :thumb:

The whole point is that he's competing with tuned 400 BHP 335i's, and beating M3's and Z4M's.... regardless of the semantics of how they were driven (we don't know the people or the cars)

I suppose all this is doing is showcasing the modern Diesel engine..

markymark34 25 April 2009 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Alan C (Post 8660042)
Therein lies the problem for anyone having the choice of cars, direct from the horse mouth (unless of course you MUST HAVE a manual.)

Bit like WRX owners.... when a STI passes... :D Sorry.. I couldn't resist, but you get the idea..

was going to say that but thought it was safer not to!!
drove a 335i last week, its got serious shove low down the rev range. Did find the auto box a little jerky under braking when in sport mode is this normal or is it just me not being used to an auto? (other than an SMG and no one on earth can drive those smoothly)

Janspeed 25 April 2009 11:49 AM

I have a WRX wagon, and the "boss" thought that a blue STi with golden rims, a massive spoiler and air intake were good enough reason to make me sleep outdoors...................
The purchase decision was taken fast enough.

:lol1: