ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Veyron Acceleration!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/749520-veyron-acceleration.html)

Terminator X 28 February 2009 03:03 PM

My fav Veyron video is the one where it breezes past a big sports bike even though the biker has the hammer down :) Who says cars aren't as fast as bikes ;)

TX.

mrtheedge2u2 28 February 2009 03:07 PM

the R1

Daz34 28 February 2009 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 8544208)
I did the Police driving course so I was able to drive Police vehicles, I am living proof it doesnt make you a driving god :D

No that is reserved for Fire Appliance drivers :D

mental-mark 28 February 2009 07:07 PM

i would have it lol

MrRA 28 February 2009 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 8544389)
My fav Veyron video is the one where it breezes past a big sports bike even though the biker has the hammer down :) Who says cars aren't as fast as bikes ;)

TX.

You mean this one John?

YouTube - Bugatti Veyron Vs. Yamaha R1 on the Autobahn

MrRA 28 February 2009 07:37 PM

This another impressive vid of the Veyron engine block being machined from a sold billet of alloy, as I doubt you'd get a casting strong enough to cope with power output it can produce.

YouTube - W16 Engine Block Machined From Solid Billet

I work on similar CNC machines to this at my engine plant. They're incredible at what they to do. You can make offsets as small as +/- 1 micron.

Crank grinding machines in our plant can be moved in tenths of microns.

stara 28 February 2009 08:08 PM

it can't be that quick, it has 4wd:Whatever_ . a well sorted ST would give it a run for it's money.:)

Steve vRS 28 February 2009 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by stara (Post 8545061)
it can't be that quick, it has 4wd:Whatever_ . a well sorted ST would give it a run for it's money.:)

...and a 93WRX would have it in the Twisties (TM).

Steve

wiley 28 February 2009 09:44 PM

fast enough to get away from a chopper

wiley

rr_ww 28 February 2009 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8544138)
rr ww.

Surely you are not saying "Speed kills", there are a lot who won't agree if you are.

Les :)

Or course not. I'm saying that crashing at massive speeds will kill you. Speed isn't a killer. We can travel safely at supersonic speeds if we are wrapped in a little tin capusle.

Originally Posted by MrRA (Post 8544988)
This another impressive vid of the Veyron engine block being machined from a sold billet of alloy, as I doubt you'd get a casting strong enough to cope with power output it can produce.

YouTube - W16 Engine Block Machined From Solid Billet

I work on similar CNC machines to this at my engine plant. They're incredible at what they to do. You can make offsets as small as +/- 1 micron.

Crank grinding machines in our plant can be moved in tenths of microns.

Nice vid. Though I only counted 8 on one side and 6 on the other. At 6:00 definetly only 6. But at 7:03 it changes to 8 :wonder:

I have to pull you up on the "casting strong enough" part though. The Bugs engine "only" produces 125BHP per litre. There are thousands of modified roads cars that reliably exceed that.

fossie 01 March 2009 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 8544208)
I did the Police driving course so I was able to drive Police vehicles, I am living proof it doesnt make you a driving god :D

+1..............

MrRA 01 March 2009 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by rr_ww (Post 8545444)
Or course not. I'm saying that crashing at massive speeds will kill you. Speed isn't a killer. We can travel safely at supersonic speeds if we are wrapped in a little tin capusle.

Nice vid. Though I only counted 8 on one side and 6 on the other. At 6:00 definetly only 6. But at 7:03 it changes to 8 :wonder:

I have to pull you up on the "casting strong enough" part though. The Bugs engine "only" produces 125BHP per litre. There are thousands of modified roads cars that reliably exceed that.

Agreed on the casting front my friend, I'm well aware of that I work in the industry, but what you get with casting is porosity. You can never get rid of it, only 'move' from one part of the block to another by flowing the gases to a different part of the block during the casting process, and the last things you want is porosity in say an oil gallery of head bolt fastening hole. By machining from a solid billet you remove those issues. There must also be some other inherant benfits otherwise they wouldn't go to the trouble or expense of machining from a solid billet.

I don't think its full vid, I think it's been cut down a bit.

fatherpierre 01 March 2009 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by MrRA (Post 8544157)
And that means what exactly?

How you've been taught about 'rate of revealment etc etc'. Being Police trained doesn't automatically turn you into a driving Deity.

I've seen plenty of vids where this country's so called 'fastest and safest' traffic cops have lost it in a big fashion.

What about the tool in Port Talbot, South Wales not so long ago, who on water logged motorway decided to take his Volvo up to speeds of 120mph before eventually aquaplaning off the road down an embankment.

Police training my arse. Counts for nothing in my opinion.

Jesus, calm down!

I was joking. If I was claiming to be a driving God then your 'opinion' would be valid. I love the way SN users jump on any copper that posts anything. Good job I don't care and have a thick skin or I'd be hurt :lol1:

The training does count, though. My insurance is lower than it would be otherwise:hjtwofing

Leslie 01 March 2009 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by rr_ww (Post 8545444)

Yes that is true about crashing of course, but do you think that driving very fast in modern traffic conditions does not render you more likely to actually have an accident since your safety margins are drastically reduced? Your first two sentences are a contradiction surely!

Travelling at supersonic speeds can of course be perfectly safe, but you have to pick your place to do it. Travelling through LHR CTZ at low to medium height like that would be most unwise.

Les