ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Driving with a frozen windscreen (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/738383-driving-with-a-frozen-windscreen.html)

Scooby Snacks 23 14 January 2009 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 8424351)
Makes you wonder how many lives the Quickclear windscreen on Fords has saved, assuming the retards use it of course.

Bar the RSs and the Cossies, the best thing to come out of Ford :thumb:

Mog 14 January 2009 05:24 PM

You should use cold water to de ice a screen as hot water will refreeze faster than cold.

Mog

gallois 14 January 2009 05:53 PM

i've heard that too, but how does hot water freeze quicker than cold water?

gallois 14 January 2009 06:01 PM

after google-ing it seems it is the Mpemba effect, and it is confusing but doesn't apply to situations like melting a windscreen ice. Can hot water freeze faster than cold water?

Jye 14 January 2009 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 8423804)
For 10 years Ive been pooring hot water from the tap into an empty wine bottle, clears my screen in seconds and never had the glass crack(apart from today when it iced over straight away, had to do it again and put the window wipers on straight away :) )

Boiling kettle is stupid but a kettle warmed up is ok. Just because theres steam coming from it does not mean its boiled

Same here, as long as it's only warm mind. A few more years on my part :)

skoobidude 14 January 2009 07:04 PM

I was following a car this morning which clearly still had an iced windscreen - I could tell by the way the idiot was driving. It only takes a couple of minutes work to scrape away enough ice ffs :rolleyes:

Klaatu 15 January 2009 06:07 AM

I've used sheets of used news paper held in place by the wipers to great effect on all manner of cars including Land Rovers.

Abdabz 15 January 2009 07:50 AM

I too use warm / hot water on my windscreen to remove icy ice. I have a can of de-icy icer in my car in case I need it as outdoor NCP car parks often lack kettles. :(

davegtt 15 January 2009 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Klaatu (Post 8425776)
I've used sheets of used news paper held in place by the wipers to great effect on all manner of cars including Land Rovers.

:confused: How can you see through the newspaper? :lol1:

corradoboy 15 January 2009 09:40 AM

I only used de-icer for the first few months I was driving, quickly realising that after use there's usually lots of misting and refreezing issues. Copying my old Dad I now just use the scraper, or preferably just start the engine up 5-10 minutes before with the rear screen heater and blowers on (benefit of a Disklok and having the drivers key easily removed from the keyring).

fivetide 15 January 2009 11:01 AM

Best bit of kit for that was the remote start on the old FTO.

Fired it up from the bedroom window with doors locked and alarm still on. By the time i'd had a brew the car was warm and the heaters had done their job. top class.

Currently just use the lukewarm water and carry deicer. In emergencies i use the vpower card to scrape ice off!!

5t.

Matteeboy 15 January 2009 11:05 AM

I start the car ten mins before I set off and get it warmed up.
Fine here (middle of nowhere) but no so handy in the 'hood I guess.

NotoriousREV 15 January 2009 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Klaatu (Post 8425776)

As teenagers we used to wet newspapers held in place by the wipers so the next morning the smug driver could be seen trying to scrape a thin layer of frozen papier mache off their screen.

Don't ask where we got the water from.

New_scooby_04 15 January 2009 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV (Post 8426560)
As teenagers we used to wet newspapers held in place by the wipers so the next morning the smug driver could be seen trying to scrape a thin layer of frozen papier mache off their screen.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! :lol1:

Jay m A 15 January 2009 03:43 PM

Did the girls used to do it too? LOL

NotoriousREV 15 January 2009 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jay m A (Post 8426943)
Did the girls used to do it too? LOL

If there were girls around, we wouldn't have been bored enough to do this ;)

speedking 15 January 2009 04:12 PM

I thought it is now illegal to leave a vehicle running while unattended? Not sure if that only applies on the highway, or whether its on private land as well, ecomental law. Should turn off engine if waiting at a level crossing or swing bridge and freeze to death.

mart360 15 January 2009 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23 (Post 8424388)

Worst thing ever invented :(

Everytime i drive one of these cars, i get headaches, due to seeing the lines

in the screen & refocusing on them everytime i look around

Mart

Klaatu 16 January 2009 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 8425957)

I thought it would have been obvious, but I guess there are some who need help. :wonder:

The sheets of paper are used to attract moisture, which freezes instead of condensing and freezing on a windscreen. You then remove the sheets of paper in the morning before driving with a nice, usually and mostly, almost ice free windscreen.

Klaatu 16 January 2009 12:48 AM

Bar stewards!

jono300 16 January 2009 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 8425957)

You cant but at least it gives u something to read thru the window !!!

Flaps 16 January 2009 07:19 AM

I just keep mine in the garage, no need to de-ice then ;)

lozgti 16 January 2009 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 8428072)
Worst thing ever invented :(

Everytime i drive one of these cars, i get headaches, due to seeing the lines

in the screen & refocusing on them everytime i look around

Mart

Thought it was just me.Used to drive me crackers

Torquemada 16 January 2009 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Flaps (Post 8428697)
I just keep mine in the garage, no need to de-ice then ;)

Ditto :)

stuart n 16 January 2009 04:16 PM

I use warm water with a bit of washing up liquid in it to de-ice my car. The washing up liquid helps prevent the water from re-freezing

stuart n 16 January 2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23 (Post 8424388)

Surely the GT40 is worth a mention :wonder: ;)

speedking 16 January 2009 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by stuart n (Post 8430020)
I use warm water with a bit of washing up liquid in it to de-ice my car. The washing up liquid helps prevent the water from re-freezing

Washing-up liquid contains salt and so should not be used for washing your car.