ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Looking at possibly buying this STI - thoughts please (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/737717-looking-at-possibly-buying-this-sti-thoughts-please.html)

timmy2take 13 January 2009 02:03 PM

Seriously mate don't bother with the UK model as I know its not all about speed but for some of us it is and i've beaten UK model imprezas in a £330 rover coupe turbo before, I think you'd seriously be kicking yourself at the money you'd have to spend on getting it to 280-300bhp.

Can anyone confirm if the Impreza sti v3 onwards had stronger gearbox internals? Think i've read it somewhere before.

Over on the mlr.com for the evos they have a great buying guide, don't know this site doesn't do one.

Peanuts 13 January 2009 02:07 PM

version 5 is the stronger box, ty754.
The UK turbo 99 can be made to 265/270 for about £250 so how do you figure that?

timmy2take 13 January 2009 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 8420711)
version 5 is the stronger box, ty754.
The UK turbo 99 can be made to 265/270 for about £250 so how do you figure that?

What power does the 99 uk turbo have? Thought it was 215 and the early UK models 206ish? How do you get so much extra power for £250? :wonder:

Surely to get to 280/300bhp your going to have to spend the best part of a grand I would of thought if not more?

timmy2take 13 January 2009 05:59 PM

Subaru : Subaru Impreza STI version 3 Looks very cheap, not much info about it though

Quality Jap Car Sales : IMPREZA WRX-STi VERSION 3 REDTOP ENGINE - Seems to be one of the cheapest from a trader, at least you'll get a warranty with it, but you'll want to ideally live near them in case you get any troubles.

winker 13 January 2009 06:53 PM

sti

I agree better buying sti straight from the box,type r or ra forge internals dccd,quick steering rack 300bhp.

Darc174 13 January 2009 06:55 PM

STI dont seem to leave me, then again im not Standard :norty:

Peanuts 14 January 2009 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by timmy2take (Post 8421335)
What power does the 99 uk turbo have? Thought it was 215 and the early UK models 206ish? How do you get so much extra power for £250? :wonder:

Surely to get to 280/300bhp your going to have to spend the best part of a grand I would of thought if not more?

getting 260 odd from a phase 2 is a doddle.
Dawes device at 1.1bar
Panel filter
Decat exhaust
boost gauge
afr display

should cost about £250

Originally Posted by winker (Post 8421528)
I agree better buying sti straight from the box,type r or ra forge internals dccd,quick steering rack 300bhp.

Where are you getting your information from?
Forge internals?
Do you mean they simply have forged pistons?
300bhp? out the box? what drugs do you take?
They come with 276ps

timmy2take 14 January 2009 02:47 PM

I think i've read that cylinder 3 often suffers fuel starvation if the boost is upped without the fueling being set up properly.

£250 is a bit optimistic in my eyes unless you get some cheap used bargains. But as soon as you up the boost etc your insurance is going to go up and some wont touch you because of mods dependent on age of driver and probably other factors as well.

Also surely after the 260 mark your going to struggle to get the power to 280-300bhp in my eyes without spending the best part of a grand as I said earlier.

Winker may have been talking about the last of the classic stis as I think they came with 300bhp as standard?

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 8423152)
getting 260 odd from a phase 2 is a doddle.
Dawes device at 1.1bar
Panel filter
Decat exhaust
boost gauge
afr display

should cost about £250

Where are you getting your information from?
Forge internals?
Do you mean they simply have forged pistons?
300bhp? out the box? what drugs do you take?
They come with 276ps

Peanuts 14 January 2009 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by timmy2take (Post 8423952)
I think i've read that cylinder 3 often suffers fuel starvation if the boost is upped without the fueling being set up properly.

£250 is a bit optimistic in my eyes unless you get some cheap used bargains. But as soon as you up the boost etc your insurance is going to go up and some wont touch you because of mods dependent on age of driver and probably other factors as well.

Also surely after the 260 mark your going to struggle to get the power to 280-300bhp in my eyes without spending the best part of a grand as I said earlier.

Winker may have been talking about the last of the classic stis as I think they came with 300bhp as standard?

Now you're moving the goal posts ;)
I stated 260 ish all along but ok to get to 330brake after that:
add a td05, an ecutek map (although more and more people have not bothered and seem to be getting up to 350 unmapped), a fuel pump and a FPR.
So now I'm at 330bhp for less than your quoted grand, which is considerably less than the premium you paid for an sti, insurance extra/over etc

Regarding the cylinder no.3
There is talk that they run hotter because they are the last in series, thats your sti, my old UK, my sti all scoobs, thats why we run parallel rails to eliminate this.
Some people (Floyd iirc in the good old days) reversed the flow to ensure no.3 got the fuel first.

I call bull**** on the 300bhp, be that type r/ra or sti.

costs for £250 (not including bargains)
Downpipe (new) £150
Filter (new) £35
Dawes (new) £35
Boost gauge (new halfords) £17
AFR display (new) £25

you got me, I would have to buy the downpipe second hand for a ton and then I'm in

winker 14 January 2009 07:30 PM

sti

What i am saying is buy u/k spec and its costly getting to 300bhp but the sti ra or type r would be alot cheaper.I have my type r running 300 bhp for very little money.
Regards.

weeebell 14 January 2009 07:42 PM

Also would depend on insurance too then. I got quoted £1200 fc for an 02 STi but chose the WRX at £330fc (same company, Direct line) and I'm spending the rest on mods to 340bhp.....and insurance is going up by £150 per year so I'm saving roughly £700 a year, every year.

Peanuts 15 January 2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by winker (Post 8424719)
What i am saying is buy u/k spec and its costly getting to 300bhp but the sti ra or type r would be alot cheaper.I have my type r running 300 bhp for very little money.
Regards.

Indeed.

I was calling bull**** on timmy

However, try to take the cars to 350 or beyond and there is nothing in it again.
Don't dismiss the humble UK, my old 99uk made 380/385 and was an awesome drive, the badge snobbery is getting worse imo

DazW 15 January 2009 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 8425916)
Indeed.

I was calling bull**** on timmy

However, try to take the cars to 350 or beyond and there is nothing in it again.
Don't dismiss the humble UK, my old 99uk made 380/385 and was an awesome drive, the badge snobbery is getting worse imo

You can't really compare a pretty crude manual boost controller to an OEM ECU imo & you're also forgetting that an STi comes fully loaded compared to a UK spec car

& are STi's (not Type R/RA's) really fetching a premium over UK cars? ...certainly weren't when I was looking

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 8424088)

I call bull**** on the 300bhp, be that type r/ra or sti.

I call Subaru’s ‘official’ bhp/ps bull****

Look at the ‘official’ torque figures:

V2 STi 235lb @ 4Krpm

V6 STi 250lb @ 4Krpm

& yet magically they both make 280ps?

Peanuts 15 January 2009 10:55 AM

where's your bright button Daz? :lol1:
Can you drop your rear seats to fit the skis in?

Its horses for courses of course it is Daz, How much of the original powerplant or transmission is left in either yours or my cars?
Would it have made a huge deal of difference if your car had started out as a humble UK?

I'm merely trying to point out to timmy(get an sti at all costs everything else is ****) that its not necessarily the case