ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Getting fit.....heart rates (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/732001-getting-fit-heart-rates.html)

Matteeboy 17 December 2008 12:37 PM

Tanya - at least it's a good start though.

Best of luck with it all!

imatrukahs 17 December 2008 01:21 PM

nsld,

yes i have normal parameters....yes i have had asthma due to an allergy to cats hence the peak flow,but the reading only goes to 800 and i once blew that in the docs :cry:

but the issue here is i dont really excercise nowadays have fits and starts but my anxiety does make my heart beat faster in certain situs with no excercise i guess mild panic attacks or massive ones not sure lol..so used to it now..my doc says thats great because your heart is working out aslong as your bp dont significantly rise which mine doesnt stop fooking worrying he says..lol.

SiPie 17 December 2008 01:29 PM

but my anxiety does make my heart beat faster in certain situs with no excercise i guess mild panic attacks or massive ones not sure lol..so used to it now..
Some light reading for you that I strongly recommend (if you haven't read it already) :thumb: She was years ahead of her time.

Essential Help for Your Nerves: Recover from Nervous Fatigue and Overcome Stress and Fear: Claire Weekes: Amazon.co.uk: Books

nsld 17 December 2008 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by imatrukahs (Post 8354609)
nsld,

yes i have normal parameters....yes i have had asthma due to an allergy to cats hence the peak flow,but the reading only goes to 800 and i once blew that in the docs :cry:

but the issue here is i dont really excercise nowadays have fits and starts but my anxiety does make my heart beat faster in certain situs with no excercise i guess mild panic attacks or massive ones not sure lol..so used to it now..my doc says thats great because your heart is working out aslong as your bp dont significantly rise which mine doesnt stop fooking worrying he says..lol.

What you are doing is thinking yourself into a frenzy or somatosizing (spelling on that?) and the power of the mind is enough to get the cardiac cascade up and running.

I had similar and a consultant colleague charged me full whack for tests and consult to put my mind at rest, not sure what was worse, doing the tests knowing nothing was wrong or the £600 bill for it!

nsld 17 December 2008 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles (Post 8354418)
Just got back from the doctors and the chemist:(

He told me I was OK on the treadmill, but that I need to build up slowly, so running on it is out for the first few weeks, brisk walking is the order of the day, apparently.
The blood pressure pills I am on are Amlodopine, now upped to 10mg, with added aspirin daily, :rolleyes:, plus some statin to bring my cholesterol under control.

Damn, but growing old sucks:(

ok, well amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker so it doesnt limit heart rate like a beta blocker, it can however have an effect on sight and balance so be aware that your new dose may make you wobbly on the treadmill!

Agree with the doc that you need to walk before you can run and the idea is to work hard at walking rather than just ambling.

How old are you? again this effects the level of impact you can engage in, if your a post menopausal woman then its useful to get some impact/resistance into your workout for bone density benefits.

Now that you are on a statin you may get some pins and needles in the arms/legs or itchy skin whilst you get used to them.

imatrukahs 17 December 2008 09:42 PM

nsld...interested,how do you know so much?

Putting ones mind at rest is worth any amount of money IMO!!!

As you seem knowledgable my doc wants me to take motilium (domperidone 10mg) for nausea due to anxiety but i am paranoid i am going to get an allergic reaction so suffer instead of trying to feel better..your opinion?

Matteeboy 17 December 2008 09:48 PM

Errrmm - I guess he's probably a doctor?!!

zip106 17 December 2008 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8356053)

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/si...0px-Drnick.png

imatrukahs 17 December 2008 10:00 PM

If he is,can i have a private line to him!!

In all seriousness if true good stuff.

Tenby 18 December 2008 02:54 PM

Is this for the gym or at hom,e?

nsld 18 December 2008 10:25 PM

nope,

Exercise physiology and sports science so get to deal with a lot of stuff related to meds and drugs especially in post surgical/illness cases.

Doctors study about 5 hours on exercise in 5 years, the last people you want advising on exercise and activity are doctors.

nsld 19 December 2008 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by imatrukahs (Post 8356033)
nsld...interested,how do you know so much?

Putting ones mind at rest is worth any amount of money IMO!!!

As you seem knowledgable my doc wants me to take motilium (domperidone 10mg) for nausea due to anxiety but i am paranoid i am going to get an allergic reaction so suffer instead of trying to feel better..your opinion?

you have PM

Matteeboy 19 December 2008 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by nsld (Post 8358857)
nope,

Exercise physiology and sports science so get to deal with a lot of stuff related to meds and drugs especially in post surgical/illness cases.

Doctors study about 5 hours on exercise in 5 years, the last people you want advising on exercise and activity are doctors.

Do you find it interesting? That sort of thing has always interested me, from pouring over magazines and books when I was a serious gym head, to looking a the latest ideas in nutrition (which seem to change a lot).

And nice applying it too - I think of your own body as a blank canvas - you can do whatever you want to it - be built like a brick outhouse, be an endurance athlete or something in between.

nsld 19 December 2008 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8359504)
Do you find it interesting? That sort of thing has always interested me, from pouring over magazines and books when I was a serious gym head, to looking a the latest ideas in nutrition (which seem to change a lot).

And nice applying it too - I think of your own body as a blank canvas - you can do whatever you want to it - be built like a brick outhouse, be an endurance athlete or something in between.

It's incredibly interesting and when you get the right results very fulfilling as well.

Every body is different and if you can match the environmental load to the body accurately you can do amazing things, from simple things like fixing back pain by re arranging a desk to getting someone with horrendous nerve damage running again and on the fun side getting amateur skiers to move better and ski better.

Problem is its an industry packed full of idiots with a weekend "pay and pass" certificate.

The medical stuff is also incredibly interesting as every body reacts differently to the meds given.

Matteeboy 19 December 2008 03:34 PM

I sort of wish I had pursued it more professionally - I have quite a few friends who are physios, osteopaths, doctors, etc and absorb all they tell me like a sponge.

I went a bit OTT with the weights (having gained three stone) and found surfing harder (harder to catch waves) and running more tricky so upped the cardio a bit and eased off on the weights - within weeks the difference was enormous.

Also had as recurring dislocation "fixed" by good physio as well as an unstable knee - I always stick to the exercises rigorously which helps.

Just amazing that really you can do anything you put your mind to.