ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Problems after selling a car (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/731881-problems-after-selling-a-car.html)

Ved 15 December 2008 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by rbaz (Post 8349817)
Thanks for that Ved :thumb: French paperwork and the law is a nightmare.
I had a lot of trouble getting it French registered in the first place.

We didn’t give each other a receipt and nothing was signed apart from the transfer document.
He paid by Bankers draft so that’s proof of sale I guess.

Yep and if nothing went over saying XYZ needs looking at then it's now his car and sadly his problem. Doesn't sound to expensive though so don't worry.

rbaz 15 December 2008 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ved (Post 8349860)
Yep and if nothing went over saying XYZ needs looking at then it's now his car and sadly his problem. Doesn't sound to expensive though so don't worry.

He has just sent an email saying he loves the car but just wants the problem fixed.
He said his other Impreza had just stripped 3rd gear :Suspiciou

Connor_scotland 15 December 2008 06:32 PM

Bought my Scooby 2 months ago

Got it on sunday

Drove 4 miles to work an it overheated - Water pissing out of the bottom hose

Got it to the garage who said the car had overheated an it could either be the thermostat or head. Turned out the be a split hose an buggered thermostat

I was gutted but i never contacted the guy to moan about it as it was my problem as i checked the car an test drove it.

I would tell him where to go mate

You did NOTHING wrong

Jamo 15 December 2008 07:29 PM

tell him you are glad he loves it, but you are not going to be paying for the repair. or if hes french? fiste da pout nict da maird. sounds like hes caned the arse of it.

hodgy0_2 15 December 2008 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by rbaz (Post 8349923)

He has just sent an email saying he loves the car but just wants the problem fixed.

what a clown

"the problem" is his problem now -- but the longer you keep communicating with him the more it will become your problem

and thats fine if you are going to write a blank cheque and fix "the problem"

but otherwise I wouldn,t say anymore

Matt578 15 December 2008 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by rbaz (Post 8349420)
Well he has just phoned me :(
The car is still bubbling and losing a little water through the expansion tank so it looks like a head gasket has gone or a cracked head :cry:

He was very nice and believed me that I didn’t know there was a problem and said he doesn’t want his money back but would like help fixing the car. (no money mentioned)
He is going away for a month (I knew this before hand) so it’s going to be a while before anything happens.
He is sending me an official letter informing me that the car has a fault and says that in France it’s the seller’s responsibility to sell a good car but I have never heard of that before surely it’s the same as the UK :wonder:

Well if all is nice I will offer to change the gaskets and even source them for him but I cant pay for parts a month after.
I can rest a little easier until next month :(

You sure its not just common problems baz?

Most scoobys bubble after a good run, its the water in the pipe from the turbo to expansion tank. It sounds just like water boiling and bubbling.

Are you sure its not just a silly leak as the new hoses have only recently been put on? Also loosing a little water through the expansion tank, could it not just be something silly like the cap not holding the pressure.

maybe he is just being paranoid, or he might be being a tool :)

Mog 15 December 2008 09:04 PM

Is he really going to pursue this through another countries law system....I don't think so, just keep stum and don't respond to anything.

Mog

adzer 15 December 2008 09:29 PM

get him on here and we will tell him whats what!!!!! :norty:

my car used to loose water as the header tank cap was fcuked, replaced it and never lost water since

rbaz 16 December 2008 09:10 PM

Thanks for your thoughts guys :thumb: I thought the answers would be 50/50 get lost or pay for the repairs.

After speaking to some locals and the lady in the insurance office when I cancelled my insurance policy they all said in France tough luck when buying a used car privately with no guarantee is given.

Will see what the letter he sends says. If it is trying it on as I am English will tell him not my problem very sorry but bye :hjtwofing
If it’s ok and he is good with me will offer to pay for gaskets and that’s it I don’t want to see the car again :(
I feel much better now I have made my mind up I really have been worrying about it and not been sleeping :freak3:

Will wait till Jan or even Feb before I get a new car so this is sorted but I can’t help looking through the sites for a new car ;)

Thanks again guys will let you know what happens next :thumb:

stiscooby 16 December 2008 11:49 PM

If it were me I would not pay for anything, regardless how bad I felt about it. (sh!t happens).

As another post states you could be seen as admitting something?

Sounds like he gave it a good thrashing on the test drive, he purchased the car from you KNOWING ABOUT THE PROBLEM so it's tuff sh!t, it's up to him to sort the problem, which again he knew about when buying the car.

Just send him a final e-mail/letter etc saying what everyone has already stated in above posts, your sorry about the problem but he test drove the car and discussed/agreed a discount on the price because of the problem with the car. You was honest and up front about it so he knew exactly what he was buying and he was happy to purchase the car in it's current condition.

The car was sold as seen/tested, you are no longer responsible for it, wish him all the best and good bye ;)

You then get on with things and get the new car which your after, happy days :D

rbaz 12 January 2009 10:00 AM

Just to update you all on this :rolleyes:
I received the letter from the buyer (sent recorded delivery) just to inform me that in his opinion the head gasket had gone and that I had seen bubbling when he looked at the car and he hopes we can together find a solution when he returns. Well that is tomorrow so will see what happens next.

I have spoken to a main dealer (Citroen) who told me as he has now admitted he also had seen the bubbles and I reduced the price he didn’t have a leg to stand on :)
Only a problem if I deliberately set out to deceive him (as in the UK I think)
He also didn’t think it would be a gasket because of the symptoms and the fact it had done 500km with no overheating he said an engineers report would be needed anyway if he peruses anything.
He advised me to do nothing, don’t pay a thing and defiantly don’t touch the car. He thought the buyer was trying it on a bit.

So I will wait and see what happens but I bet the battery will now be flat as it has been stood a month :rolleyes:

Scooby Soon! 12 January 2009 10:27 AM

give him nothing!

flashgordon666 12 January 2009 12:41 PM

Sold as seen. Hes got no leg to stand on, you swap money and car and deal is done. Tell him to go to tradering standers, they'll tell him same thing. Dont reply to emails or phone your only lighting the situation.

bugeyeandy 12 January 2009 12:52 PM

I'm a bit like you mate, i'd hate to see a car i've sold go wrong.
The trouble is this fool will take advantage of you if he can, do not offer to pay for anything. Do not hand over any cash and do not reply to anything he sends you in writing.
The car is no longer your responsibility and if you do and try and help out he will screw you over. Lets not forget he got 1000 Euros off the asking price, that pays for an awful lot of repairs!
You have to be a bit hard hearted when it comes to cars buying or selling, don't be a mug :thumb:

scoobymad555 12 January 2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by rbaz (Post 8349923)
He said his other Impreza had just stripped 3rd gear :Suspiciou

sounds like he hammers the s***e out of his motors to me ..... think i'd be inclined to outright say au revoir :hjtwofing ..... with gestures :lol1:

go with what the citroen dude says - he's defo french n everything!!! :luxhello:

scooby1doo1 12 January 2009 05:27 PM

He new there was a problem after takin it to 8k on the test drive, you droped the price even more, he said it will cost £££ to fix.
Give him naff all dont answer any more calls if any letters come dont open them and send them back.
You got robbed not him.

David Lock 12 January 2009 05:57 PM

I don't understand all this! If it's a head gasket then I thought water tracked into the engine and disappeared, not spilled over?

A decent garage can run a test which is not 100% but will give a strong indication if gasket is gone; not sure how this works but I think it looks at CO presence in cooling water.

Could be a number of other (cheaper :) ) things like a hose connection leak or rad' playing up.

I'd be wary of sourcing gaskets as garage may want to inspect old ones first and get exact match.

If there is any more correspondence I would reply with a polite "Best of luck but kindly note I am unable to provide further comment or assistance in this matter"

dl

gallois 12 January 2009 07:17 PM

offer to buy it back less a substantial sum for depreciation and the fact that he obviously has driven it without any sympathy for the car. make that your only option, cest la vie.

rbaz 12 January 2009 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by gallois (Post 8418935)
offer to buy it back less a substantial sum for depreciation and the fact that he obviously has driven it without any sympathy for the car. make that your only option, cest la vie.

I dont want it back after he has owned it for over a month and he allready said he doesnt want his money back.

rbaz 26 January 2009 07:29 PM

Well an update on what’s going on with this I need to get it off my chest its bugging me again.
(I sold the car on the 14th December :rolleyes: )

I received another email 2 days ago saying he had done another 500km in the car and it was perfect with no overheating no loss of water or any signs of a problem but still the bubble in the system. (And he commented on how powerful it was)
My answer glad the car is perfect now you can enjoy it.

Today I received another saying he has changed the cooling fluid and something black fell out :freak3: but there is still a bubble.
He is finally taking it to a garage on Wednesday to have the CO test done on the system but "HE" thinks it’s the gasket and said
"Of course, if there is a problem with this gasket, you have to participate....because it's a "vice caché" (means hidden fault)

He isn’t getting a response now :mad: I will speak on the phone but no more emails/proof of anything. I think he now has to get the professional report on the damage (if there is any I still don’t think it’s the gasket) then officially start claims against me :(
When this comes I will go back to the French garage that helped me then get professional help. I just hope because the car is doing exactly the same thing as the day he collected it and he could see the bubbling (I have this in writing from him) and because I reduced the price (about 5k under French LHD market value) I have a good case to fight it.
I just don’t need the hastle and I can’t afford to pay anything if I do lose :(

webby v7 slipperwagon 26 January 2009 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 8349059)
Sold as seen!

NO such thing. I can assure you, people on here know about the s**** who tried it on with me on here. SOLD AS SEEN holds about as much water as a sock. In the guys defence though, the buyer was aware of the water loss problem and negotiated even more money off the price. HE WAS TOATALLY AWARE of the problem, negotiated a further discount, and happily bought the car. You have nothing to be sorry for. He had every oppurtunity to walk away, but was happy to purchase.

rbaz 26 January 2009 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon (Post 8458030)
NO such thing. I can assure you, people on here know about the s**** who tried it on with me on here. SOLD AS SEEN holds about as much water as a sock. In the guys defence though, the buyer was aware of the water loss problem and negotiated even more money off the price. HE WAS TOATALLY AWARE of the problem, negotiated a further discount, and happily bought the car. You have nothing to be sorry for. He had every oppurtunity to walk away, but was happy to purchase.

Thanks I hope this is what a court (if it comes to that) thinks too but things here (France) can be strange.
It’s the time it has taken for him to get it checked and the mileage he has done with it which gets me. Why drive it that far (obviously quickly at times) if he thinks the gasket is on its way out :cuckoo:

chris-boris 26 January 2009 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by rbaz (Post 8458089)
Thanks I hope this is what a court (if it comes to that) thinks too but things here (France) can be strange.
It’s the time it has taken for him to get it checked and the mileage he has done with it which gets me. Why drive it that far (obviously quickly at times) if he thinks the gasket is on its way out :cuckoo:

I hate to say it but i think you hit the nail on the head in your last sentance - he knew there was a problem and thought something like 'i'll get some money off then if the problem persists or gets worse he can foot the bill'

I hope not but there are some very dishonest people out there.

For what its worth, i agree with everyone elses sentiments, he knew it was faulty, got some money off and tooka long time to get it checked further and hence removed any legs he had to stand on before.

Despite it being in France you would have thought that common sense would prevail if it ever gets as far as a court room so if i were you i wouldn't be too worried :)

stistussy 26 January 2009 10:25 PM

tell him to frog off!

worley 26 January 2009 10:43 PM

Have you sought legal advice yet?

It might be worth having a chat with a local lawyer - distill all the facts onto one side of A4 and arrange a consultation.

I would offer to pass this by our company lawyer, but she's away for the next week working and I should only ask her when she's back in the office - reminds me that I owe her some work!

Nik

rbaz 26 January 2009 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by worley (Post 8458573)
Have you sought legal advice yet?

It might be worth having a chat with a local lawyer - distill all the facts onto one side of A4 and arrange a consultation.

I would offer to pass this by our company lawyer, but she's away for the next week working and I should only ask her when she's back in the office - reminds me that I owe her some work!

Nik

I haven’t yet worley just had advice from an ex Mayor and a Citroen dealer (they told me just to wait until legal letters arrive as probably just trying it on) My French isn’t brilliant so it’s not easy, we are expecting a baby in May and work is very bad due to the weak pound so could do without it at the moment :(

scoobyschef 27 January 2009 12:14 AM

he bought the car he was happy with price and he knew what he was buying

so four coffees and forget him

jim

bigvern 27 January 2009 03:19 AM

If the shoe was on the other foot, monsieur cheese eating surrender monkey would just be giving it shoulder shrugs and naff all else.

Tell 'im "C'est votre problem, mantenant f*ck off."

rbaz 05 February 2009 10:40 PM

Got an email from the buyer of the car today apologising.
It was just the thermostat :lol1:
I did tell him to check that when this all started I can’t believe it has taken so long to sort out but at least he is now happy with the car :)

Thanks for all the help support guys :thumb:

rbaz 09 February 2009 12:03 PM

Here we go again he has changed his mind now :razz:

It’s bubbling again and he is going away yet again and said he will sort it in a month time :rolleyes:
I have told him I will help with advice and locating parts for him (they are expensive in France) but I am not paying for anything :hjtwofing
He told me I am responsible for repairs up to 6 months after I have sold it :lol1: