ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   PS3 or 360? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/727064-ps3-or-360-a.html)

scooblube 25 November 2008 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Boro (Post 8296996)
Price: 360 wins

Quality: PS3 wins

Reliability: PS3 wins

Game choice: 360 wins

Technology: PS3 wins

Style: PS3 wins

Usability: 360 wins

Overall, if you want cutting edge design, ultra reliability and more menu options than you can dream of, get a PS3

If you want fun gaming, get a 360.

How can the xbox win on price? only if you buy the lowest spec one. Buy the same spec machine and there is nothing in it price wise.

There is no 'best console' - you need to ask yourself what you want from it and then make a choice. I chose the PS3 as I don't really game and wanted a bluray player to go with my new 42" plasma. The PS3 is the best bluray player for the price.

They are both great consoles in there own right - horses for courses and all that.

STi wanna Subaru 25 November 2008 10:39 AM

You can get the 360 cheap as chips now.

360 is clearly the best 'games' console.

STi wanna Subaru 25 November 2008 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by scooblube (Post 8299044)
How can the xbox win on price? only if you buy the lowest spec one. Buy the same spec machine and there is nothing in it price wise.

There is no 'best console' - you need to ask yourself what you want from it and then make a choice. I chose the PS3 as I don't really game and wanted a bluray player to go with my new 42" plasma. The PS3 is the best bluray player for the price.

They are both great consoles in there own right - horses for courses and all that.

I'm sure you could get a far better blu ray player than the PS3 for £300

Iain Young 25 November 2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 8299134)

You can. You can even get a much higher quality Sony model for around £240. The PS3 has quite a cheap laser in it, and the picture produced is generally not as good as you can get from a decent standalone player. It's not bad, but you can get much better...

Geezer 25 November 2008 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 8299134)

That's so dumb, it won't play games :freak3: , it's no comparison at all.

Go buy a Blu-Ray player to complement your 360, so that's £240 plus the £129.99 for the basic 360 (so no wireless, let's add some more money then!).

If you don't want Blu-Ray, that's fine you are not forced to have it, but I bought the PS3 primarily as a games machine because I have used both and preferred it (well, that was one of many factors). I only own one Blu-Ray and that was bought as a present.

There really is no justification for either console being better then the other, other than what suits someone personally. It's just fanboyism.

The 'better gaming' machine is just a crock, you can get virtually all the games on both consoles, look virtually identical on both consoles and play the same on both consoles! Emperor's new clothes, methinks ;)

Geezer

Iain Young 25 November 2008 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 8299311)
That's so dumb, it won't play games :freak3: , it's no comparison at all.

The OP said he bought it solely for blu-ray, (not games) so the comparison is correct. You can buy better / higher quality blu-ray players :)

STi wanna Subaru 25 November 2008 12:19 PM

The bloke said he didn't really game and he bought the PS3 as it's the best Bluray player out there which it blatantly isn't. The simple fact is the only thing people role out about the PS3 in this debate is the Bluray capability which for most people is a non issue. I mean come on who doesn't just download the films they want to watch these days? ;)

P1Fanatic 25 November 2008 12:30 PM

Yep Geezer youve hit the nail on the head there really. I looked long and hard before I bought and main selling point for me was the blu-ray built in as last thing I want is another device filling up my TV stand. Also at least the PS3 Firmware etc for the blu-ray is upgradeable as some of the cheaper standalone units are not and you already get problems with profile updates etc.

The Xbox definetly has a better pricing scheme in that they have options for all budgets and I think Sony missed a trick there especially when bringing the 160gb PS3 out at £339.99 rather than replacing the 80gb price of £299.99 and in turn dropping that down to £269.99 to compete with the 360 Elite.

With the inclusion of blu-ray Sony have created a media console rather than a dedicated gaming machine and like it or not blu-ray will become the defacto media source over the next 5-10 years. So Sony are by no means stupid. Thus I think MS made a mistake as I dont believe they are even part of the blu-ray association.

Simon

Geezer 25 November 2008 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Iain Young (Post 8299323)
The OP said he bought it solely for blu-ray, (not games) so the comparison is correct. You can buy better / higher quality blu-ray players :)

Actually just re-read the initial post, and.......

A while ago i sold my Xbox 360 and have been regretting it for the last few weeks. I've since been looking at PS3s and have noticed the prices are a lot higher for these.
Is the PS3 worth paying extra over a 360?
It would be used on a normal TV (for now) so blueray (whatever that is?) doesn't matter

any thoughts?
...it doesn't mention it being bought for Blu-Ray at all! His only other contribution to the thread was to say he was looking for a 360!

He even says Blu-Ray doesn't matter, so he wanted a comparison from a general perspective, no? ;)
Geezer

P1Fanatic 25 November 2008 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 8299326)
The bloke said he didn't really game and he bought the PS3 as it's the best Bluray player out there which it blatantly isn't. The simple fact is the only thing people role out about the PS3 in this debate is the Bluray capability which for most people is a non issue. I mean come on who doesn't just download the films they want to watch these days? ;)

Me for one. As unless things have changed they are never the same quality esp in regard to sound. And with ISP's being pushed more and more to watch what you download and report piracy it will make for interesting times.

I must admit I do download the odd US TV Series that never gets aired here.

Just because you dont use blu-ray yet doesnt mean thats what the average person thinks. Someone just like you probably said the same when DVDs first came out :)

Simon

andyseston 25 November 2008 12:39 PM

if i remember right the pricing works out about the same.

PS3: comes with console two pads and ready to play online for 300

360: comes with console and one pad for 180. then you have to buy 1 year online gaming at 40 plus another pad at 35 and the hd player at i think around 50.

so when you add it up to get what the PS3 has you have to spend the same amount of money. and keep spending 40 a year to play online gaming but is free with PS3.

PS3 also lets you connect your PSP up if you have one.

all in all they cost about the same but i do perfer the PS3 as i have had 5 xbox 360s now cos of them keep breaking and i have had a PS3 with no problems from day one.

Iain Young 25 November 2008 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 8299356)
Actually just re-read the initial post, and.......

Oops, I didn't mean the OP. I was responding to scooblube who said...

I chose the PS3 as I don't really game and wanted a bluray player to go with my new 42" plasma. The PS3 is the best bluray player for the price
It isn't :)

I'm actually considering buying a seperate blu-ray player to go under my telly alongside the ps3/xbox/wii etc etc. Having seen the quality from some of the standaone players, I'm not happy with the PS3 playback any more ;)

Iain Young 25 November 2008 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by andyseston (Post 8299377)

Except it's a gimmick and pretty useless for anything. Tried mine once and never done it again.

but i do perfer the PS3 as i have had 5 xbox 360s now cos of them keep breaking and i have had a PS3 with no problems from day one.
I've been through 15 xboxes (original launch day console was repaired 14 times). Using an Elite now (had it over a year) which has been 100% trouble free. Had a PS3 for nearly a year as well. I much prefer the 360, (better games, better controllers, decent online service etc). Got about 4 games for the PS3. Got well over a hundred (including arcade downloads) for the 360 :)

Each to their own and all that :)

P1Fanatic 25 November 2008 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by andyseston (Post 8299377)
if i remember right the pricing works out about the same.

PS3: comes with console two pads and ready to play online for 300

360: comes with console and one pad for 180. then you have to buy 1 year online gaming at 40 plus another pad at 35 and the hd player at i think around 50.

so when you add it up to get what the PS3 has you have to spend the same amount of money. and keep spending 40 a year to play online gaming but is free with PS3.

all in all they cost about the same but i do perfer the PS3 as i have had 5 xbox 360s now cos of them keep breaking and i have had a PS3 with no problems from day one.

The PS3 doesnt come with 2 pads for £300 - at least not an official DualShock 3 pad and not when I bought mine about 3 weeks ago. I got 2 games and a 3rd party kit inc controller but wasnt genuine Sony stuff. That was by far best deal I could find after quite some research.

360 Comes with hdmi cable and headset as well - which whilst only worth say £25 its still free.

I dont have a PSP (tempted with the 3000 version to go on hols in feb) but what is the benefit of connecting to your PS3 (genuine question)?

Simon

scooblube 25 November 2008 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Iain Young (Post 8299384)
Oops, I didn't mean the OP. I was responding to scooblube who said...

It isn't :)

I'm actually considering buying a seperate blu-ray player to go under my telly alongside the ps3/xbox/wii etc etc. Having seen the quality from some of the standaone players, I'm not happy with the PS3 playback any more ;)

Sorry. Should have said it was the best price option when I was looking to buy. The bluray players have dropped in price a lot since I was looking/bought 9 months ago. And I got my PS3 for £240 new in the box off ebay.

I have not seen a dedicated player next to a PS3 - is there a lot of difference?

Iain Young 25 November 2008 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by scooblube (Post 8299451)
I have not seen a dedicated player next to a PS3 - is there a lot of difference?

Depends on the tv and player, but I've seen a huge difference (hence why I'm seriously considering buying an additional standalone player to go next to the PS3). basically boils down to better / crisper picture (especially in fast moving scenes), better colour reproduction, and quieter operation. I find the PS3 a bit noisy when playing back discs (especially when in quiet scenes)...

scooblube 25 November 2008 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Iain Young (Post 8299465)
Depends on the tv and player, but I've seen a huge difference (hence why I'm seriously considering buying an additional standalone player to go next to the PS3). basically boils down to better / crisper picture (especially in fast moving scenes), better colour reproduction, and quieter operation. I find the PS3 a bit noisy when playing back discs (especially when in quiet scenes)...

Very noisy when the fan cuts in. I had mine sat on top of my Sky HD box with about a 3mm gap before the glass top of the stand. I had to stop the film and let it cool down before I could carry on.

I have now put them side by side but not had chance to test. To be honest I have only watched 3 films since buying it months ago. I just don't get time - never played a game on it either.

I may have been better waiting till now and buying a stand alone player as the gaming side is wasted on me.

What have you looked at stand alone wise?

Iain Young 25 November 2008 01:28 PM

Not investigated too deeply yet, but this one looks quite nice :)

Sony BDP-S550 DVD Player (Blu-Ray) - in stock at Digital Direct

scooblube 25 November 2008 01:34 PM

Mmm...PS3 anyone?

andyseston 25 November 2008 03:03 PM

I dont have a PSP (tempted with the 3000 version to go on hols in feb) but what is the benefit of connecting to your PS3 (genuine question)?

you can do quite alot with it i.e. when in a wifi area around the world you can acess the ps3 at home and listen to music watch videos that you have downloaded and play psp games that you have downloaded. i also use it to do my downloading when the other half is watching tv so she watches that and i do my downloading via the psp.:thumb:

Iain Young 25 November 2008 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by andyseston (Post 8299787)
you can do quite alot with it i.e. when in a wifi area around the world you can acess the ps3 at home and listen to music watch videos that you have downloaded and play psp games that you have
downloaded.

Only if you have your PS3 turned on 24x7 and don't have it sat behind a firewall. Not really a recommended thing to do...

andyseston 25 November 2008 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Iain Young (Post 8299823)
Only if you have your PS3 turned on 24x7 and don't have it sat behind a firewall. Not really a recommended thing to do...

wrong i turn my PS3 on and off via the PSP.

Iain Young 25 November 2008 05:29 PM

If the PS3 is turned off then you cannot turn it on wirelessly via the PSP. You can't break the laws of physics. I think you have "off" and "on standby" confused, plus you do still have to have it sat outside any firewalls :)

andyseston 25 November 2008 05:39 PM

sorry it will turn on when its on standby and yes the firewalls are on with the wirless router and i can acess it via wifi. cos it is reg with the PS3 so will pick it up.

Iain Young 25 November 2008 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by andyseston (Post 8300187)
sorry it will turn on when its on standby and yes the firewalls are on with the wirless router and i can acess it via wifi. cos it is reg with the PS3 so will pick it up.

That will work inside the house just fine, because you are "inside" the firewall. If you tried connecting from outside the house (i.e. a wifi hotspot at a cafe for example) then it would not work. The firewall inside your wireless router would (should) stop it. The only way to get it to work from external "public" hotspots is to have the PS3 sat outside of the firewall, which can be a huge security risk and generally not recommended.

Mine certainly doesn't work from the outside world (I've tried it).

andyseston 25 November 2008 05:53 PM

oh right sorry now i know what you mean. but why do playstation say you can do it if you can really only do it in your house.:Suspiciou

Iain Young 25 November 2008 05:56 PM

You can do it if you don't have a firewall so technically they aren't telling porkies ;)

stonejedi 25 November 2008 06:02 PM

i have enjoyed reading this thread with all the varied replys i still think in the long run the ps3 is a better console but as people have been saying the reliability of the xbox 360 has improved with the new falcon chip sets that they use in them now but the only reason xbox is in front of ps3 is there player base has had a years head start on the ps3 so when people say that the xbox 360 has more games etc... that is all down to the time the xbox 360 was released 1 year earlier but still the xbox 360 have not had it all there way they have had a few hick ups supporting hd dvd along with toshiba which failed against the bluray which is the new hidef format and what makes me laugh is when people say that you cant notice the difference get a hd telly and watch a bluray film your eyes wont believe what there seeing so to end my entry i would say that if your planing in the future to buy a hd dvd tv get a ps3 because it does most things out of the box wireless free internet gaming etc...and when ps3 home comes out and there player base catches up with xbox 360 micosoft will be forced to bring out the xbox 720!!!

Shaun 25 November 2008 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic (Post 8299350)
like it or not blu-ray will become the defacto media source over the next 5-10 years.

I whole heartedly disagree with that! ;)

The "defacto" media source is DVD. It will take a long time (if ever) for Blu-Ray to over take this media to be "defacto". The industry has already suggested that this round of media advancements (HD and Blu-Ray) were only a short stop gap until the real replacement comes to fruition, which I believe is already on the way.

Personally I think the media price is way too high and will not reach the masses until prices are bought in-line with DVD.

The future of Blu-Ray is far from accepted. It has a long way to go yet, until it replaces DVD.

I certainly wouldn't like to edge my bets over which media... physical or downloadable will actually provide the means for disruption in the current consumer market.

phil_wrx 25 November 2008 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by scooblube (Post 8299044)

u can get an elite with 2 games and 2 controllers for £269 probably less so how is there nothing in it?

lets face it the xbox is out selling the ps3 and the 360 is the primary developing machine for titles so its all good :D