ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Driving in the wet (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/724965-driving-in-the-wet.html)

p060064h 14 November 2008 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by p060064h (Post 8271049)
Thats ok cause im only 14.
Im smearing my self in man gue as i type :smug:

wat is the infraction all about ?

flat4 to the floor 14 November 2008 08:58 PM

i may get one but i speak for the masses.

maybe its because you are a prick:hjtwofing

escott 14 November 2008 08:59 PM

Best way of finding out about you and your cars limits is to do this:

Car Limits

An airfield driving day allows you to do a lot more than on a track day - if you push it and spin too much on a track day you may get black flagged. Here it is actively encouraged!

You will also be learning from one of the best drivers in the country, Andrew Walsh:

YouTube - Elise Drifting Andy Walsh Burning Rubber

YouTube - A lap with Andy Walsh

Just don't let him out in your car, the man doesn't know how much tyres cost!

p060064h 14 November 2008 09:02 PM

So people on hear are devoid of all humor ?
not been on this site long but i do rate it well, and i read things like this all the time blokes winding each other up, now i learn blokes can put a cowardly infraction against me, pm me if you have a problem and we can sort it out like men, then you will fine out i have had the day of work ill so im board and wanted cheering up so took the pi$$ a little.

Moley 14 November 2008 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by escott (Post 8271525)
Best way of finding out about you and your cars limits is to do this:

Car Limits

An airfield driving day allows you to do a lot more than on a track day - if you push it and spin too much on a track day you may get black flagged. Here it is actively encouraged!

You will also be learning from one of the best drivers in the country, Andrew Walsh:

YouTube - Elise Drifting Andy Walsh Burning Rubber

YouTube - A lap with Andy Walsh

Just don't let him out in your car, the man doesn't know how much tyres cost!

Definately. I have done two of these days with Ben Elliott, and would recommend them to anyone :thumb:

p060064h 14 November 2008 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by flat4 to the floor (Post 8271521)
i may get one but i speak for the masses.

maybe its because you are a prick:hjtwofing

Thanks a very educated sum up of a bloke that you know purely from a few posts.

love you too:luvlove: :luvlove:

Moley 14 November 2008 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by p060064h (Post 8271532)
So people on hear are devoid of all humor ?
not been on this site long but i do rate it well, and i read things like this all the time blokes winding each other up, now i learn blokes can put a cowardly infraction against me, pm me if you have a problem and we can sort it out like men, then you will fine out i have had the day of work ill so im board and wanted cheering up so took the pi$$ a little.

Humour? No.... humour tends to be something funny, not writing childish remarks the make you look like an idiot.

HTH :thumb:

p060064h 14 November 2008 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 8271552)
Humour? No.... humour tends to be something funny, not writing childish remarks the make you look like an idiot.

there we have it i get an infraction for i dont know what ?

yet personal insults are allowed twice and counting.

NXG 14 November 2008 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 8271552)

2nd that..

Moley 14 November 2008 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by p060064h (Post 8271560)

It wasn't an insult, i was giving you advice ;)

NXG 14 November 2008 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by p060064h (Post 8271560)

You were quite obviously trolling and your remarks have caused the OPs thread to be filled up with junk. You're only one infraction away from a ban, so probably best to get back on topic eh?

I'm sure the OP and others would be very interested to hear replies from people who have had experience driving Imprezas in the wet....

p060064h 14 November 2008 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 8271569)
It wasn't an insult, i was giving you advice ;)

i dont mind insults, but when i get pulled up for something i didnt know was not allowed, "i have just googled trolling" i dint think publicly calling some 1 a pr1ck or an idiot was fair ?
1 rule for 1 and 1 for another.

p060064h 14 November 2008 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by NXG (Post 8271604)
You were quite obviously trolling and your remarks have caused the OPs thread to be filled up with junk. You're only one infraction away from a ban, so probably best to get back on topic eh?

I'm sure the OP and others would be very interested to hear replies from people who have had experience driving Imprezas in the wet....

yep true my bad didn't know what trolling was, this happens all the time on another forum i go on.

ps. thanks for not insulting me :luvlove: :luvlove: :luvlove:

Jonnys3 15 November 2008 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by NXG (Post 8270446)
Easy thing to remember, expecially on the lanes; drive to the conditions!! Can you see round the next bend? Can you stop if there's a broken down car after that bend and someone coming the other way?

Enjoy the extra capabilities of the car, but save the hero to zero banzai driving for the track where you can laugh about ending up in the kitty litter with your mates inthe pub later that day, not wondering how you're going to pay for your busted up car or explain things to someone's next of kin!

Well said. :thumb:

SkullFudge 15 November 2008 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si (Post 8270432)
If you need to ask, then I wouldn't bother pushing it in the wet mate - Lift off at the wrong time and your gonna be sorry!

This guys comment is about right. It's a thing you will do with confidence.
If you really want to do it your best bet other than a track day is to find a LARGE roundabout 6.00am on a Sunday morning.
That way your car will stay in one piece if you lose it.

STi_Si 15 November 2008 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by p060064h (Post 8270996)
Just the reaction i was hopping for :lol1:

Hook line & sinker :thumb:

Try learning to spell :iamwithst

To the OP, sorry for taking it off thread, best to take it as easy as you can in the wet IMHO

ditchmyster 15 November 2008 08:02 PM

Trolls:Whatever_ .
Hi mate i have a type r and as stated, lift off oversteer is your biggest enemy.
In the wet your dccd wants to be arround the second notch, but this is down to personell preference, best thing to do is as said find somewhere secluded off the road is best on a quiet ind est or better still one of the driver training days, they are much cheaper than your insurance excess, and have a practice and see how much it takes before you loose it.you will soon see that it does'nt actually take very much at all to unsettle these cars hence so many of them being written off by people who think the grip is endless.
It really does only take somthing unforseen to happen and your in a world of sh1t, not trying to be a party pooper as we all like to have fun in our cars, which is why we bought them, but these cars are really quick and when it goes wrong as it will sooner or later it tends to be happening at much greater speeds, as allready stated by yourself in the original post.
My moto is if in doubt WATCH OUT! be safe and live another day.
Now is also a good time to book track days as they tend to be alot cheaper in the winter with less peoplr too:thumb:

NXG 15 November 2008 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 8273945)
Trolls:Whatever_ .
Now is also a good time to book track days as they tend to be alot cheaper in the winter with less peoplr too:thumb:

You'll also learn more about car control on a slippery track because every corner will be a challenge rather than a flat out 'hoon' :)

You have to push yourself and your car BEYOND the limits to learn where they are so you know how to drive within them. It'll also train your subconscious how to react to what the car is doing (or telling you it's about to do), as if you have to think about it, it's usually too late. Natural car control takes experience and the best place to learn this is on a track.

You don't need a track monster car to start out learning better car control, just about anything will do, so don't worry about expensive upgrades before you go for a play on track. Wet track days are the best to learn, so book it and hope for rain! :)

HTH
Steve

Paulo P 15 November 2008 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Matty_Boy (Post 8270438)
Well hence why im asking now, i was cautious being new to it and it being wet as im still learning the car, round abouts im def slow on! but just wondered on b roads.

Just keep going like that until you learn the car and stay within your limits :) There is no definitive answer to how hard you can push it I'm afraid.

escott 15 November 2008 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by NXG (Post 8274231)
You'll also learn more about car control on a slippery track because every corner will be a challenge rather than a flat out 'hoon' :)

You have to push yourself and your car BEYOND the limits to learn where they are so you know how to drive within them. It'll also train your subconscious how to react to what the car is doing (or telling you it's about to do), as if you have to think about it, it's usually too late. Natural car control takes experience and the best place to learn this is on a track.

You don't need a track monster car to start out learning better car control, just about anything will do, so don't worry about expensive upgrades before you go for a play on track. Wet track days are the best to learn, so book it and hope for rain! :)

HTH
Steve

Very true - you can find out more about how your car handles at safer speeds and it will cost you less in tyres.

I would still recommend an airfield driver training day over a track day to find this kind of stuff out though.

Mystik Journeyman 16 November 2008 01:18 AM

From some of the posts on here so far it seems that people have experienced a lot of scary moments.

However:

I was the same as you - I didn't want to push it around bends without finding the limits off the road (especially after having a 4WS car; they're dangerous in the wet!).

I did a training day which coincided with the worst weather of this year so far. I was mightily impressed by how the car reacts - when accelerating hard mid-corner (to find the limit) it just lost a little grip, telling me to back off of the throttle. I would imagine anything scary would be down to completely inappropriate speed into a corner.

Overall, I learnt that these cars are actually too fast for most on-road situations with all the curbs and vehicles, etc. (except in a straight line, of course).

If you don't want to shell out for a track day when it might not rain, try an empty supermarket car park when it does.

P.S. Watch out for adverse camber on corners too.

wiley 16 November 2008 09:04 AM

all depends on driver, so with me not very fast lol

wiley

Removed. 16 November 2008 06:29 PM

As others have said, it takes time to learn how far you can go, and every combination of driver and car will react to road and conditions differently. I have driven at high speed in the pissisting rain and felt invincible, but the Z3 following me had a rear end moment which caused us both to slow down. Conversely I did over 4K of damage on damp roads at 20 MPH. If you have the chance, then an airfield day sounds like a good thing to try, book it for June and the chances are it will be raining :)