ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   ps3 or xbox360 (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/720971-ps3-or-xbox360.html)

RB5-Black 28 October 2008 09:37 AM

only the people who have both should be allowed to comment on threads like this because there is some utter tosh being written.

Media centre capability is almost the same on both consoles for one. Music/pictures and video all streamed from my network to both 360 and PS3 without any problem. I got two Bluray free with my console and yes the picture is nice ..... but after 5 mins it's just another film. Forget bluray and go buy a DVD player that upscales.

Xbox live is better 360 is noisy
PS3 takes forever to install everything even a demo FFS but it's quiet
Games are almost identical so choose the controller you like the best.

JPL 28 October 2008 04:03 PM

I only have a PS3, have been in bed with Sony from the very start

Mine's a 40 Gb, and I keep filling it up, that's annoying, I might have to upgrade the HD, think the new ones are 80Gb, with a special edition 160Gb

I don't use it for internet much, I prefer my dedicated laptop.

Xbox owners get more games, whether the bigger selection = better selection ??

Loading on the PS3 is slow for certain things, but it's very quiet, and has blu-ray built in. :thumb:

PS3 FTW ! :lol1:

NeilT 28 October 2008 04:17 PM

I have both, the 360 was an Xmas present from my wife and the PS3 was one of those stupid impulse buys (I felt like I 'needed' one)

Anyway, as far as performance goes I think you'd struggle to find much between them (yes, I've run the same game on both, borrowed one from a friend).

However I much prefer the Xbox's GUI and controllers. I find the PS3 controllers too small for my hands and simply hate the GUI. Also the Xbox market place is easy to use and download from.

Generally use the PS3 for Blue Ray films and for PS3 only games, otherwise Xbox 360.

Neil

kbsub 28 October 2008 04:37 PM

some utter tosh being written

console and yes the picture is nice ..... but after 5 mins it's just another film. Forget bluray and go buy a DVD player that upscales

Well you said it ...:lol1:

RB5-Black 28 October 2008 05:02 PM

hey just my opinion on all this must have HD hype that's going about.

Are you saying that you are constantly aware of how superb the picture is ? if so you really need to concentrate on the story a little more ;)

logiclee 28 October 2008 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by RB5-Black (Post 8227959)
..... but after 5 mins it's just another film. Forget bluray and go buy a DVD player that upscales.

You must be watching on a small screen or a TV that can't make use of a 1080P/24 signal.

There is a massive difference on my setup between upscaled DVD and HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.
I can upsale DVD's on my Denon DVD-1920, Toshiba EP35 HD-DVD player, Sony BDP-S350 or PS3 and can process the signal through a high end Reon Scaler if I wish to.
Even so upscaled DVD is not in the same league as a Hi-Def 1080P disc and that's even before we've considered discs with x.v.colour.

Cheers
Lee

stonejedi 28 October 2008 05:17 PM

FANBOYS DON'T YOU JUST LOVE THEM.my honest opinion do your own research way up the pro's and con's of both console's and then decide on which console is most compatable with your requirements as they say you spend your money you make your choice.

logiclee 28 October 2008 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by RB5-Black (Post 8228805)

Are you saying that you are constantly aware of how superb the picture is ? if so you really need to concentrate on the story a little more ;)

Only during demo scene's for friends/family do I sit and think wow that's a good picture.
Trouble is you become used to how good something is, watching a good movie with good HD transfer is an enjoyable experience. Stick on a DVD and you are just aware that somethings missing, there isn't the detail and depth especially in the colours.
Same goes for sound, I've built up a nice midrange system over many years and cheap all in one box systems just sound poor to me.
I suppose it's what you get used to but DVD is a step down in visual and audio quality for me.

Cheers
Lee

RB5-Black 28 October 2008 05:23 PM

right you pair .... go back and read my post.

did I in anyway put down 1080P as a bad picture :confused: I was only pointing out that unless you are a film geek you won't be bothered with the better picture once your sitting down watching it.

screen size is around 100" since you asked ;)

RoadrunnerV2 28 October 2008 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by logiclee (Post 8228821)
You must be watching on a small screen or a TV that can't make use of a 1080P/24 signal.

There is a massive difference on my setup between upscaled DVD and HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.
I can upsale DVD's on my Denon DVD-1920, Toshiba EP35 HD-DVD player, Sony BDP-S350 or PS3 and can process the signal through a high end Reon Scaler if I wish to.
Even so upscaled DVD is not in the same league as a Hi-Def 1080P disc and that's even before we've considered discs with x.v.colour.

Cheers
Lee

Not many people are techno geeks :D Most normal people will be happy with upscaled DVD's on say a 42" TV :)

I would suggest 360 over PS3. Only time to consider a PS3 is when you really want the boring Blu-Ray. IMO, 1080p digital films are the way forward :) and yes, I have both consoles.

logiclee 28 October 2008 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by RB5-Black (Post 8228845)
right you pair .... go back and read my post.

did I in anyway put down 1080P as a bad picture :confused: I was only pointing out that unless you are a film geek you won't be bothered with the better picture once your sitting down watching it.

screen size is around 100" since you asked ;)

Never said you said 1080P was poor.:lol1:

Your post did suggest that 1080P isn't worth the extra and upscaled DVD would be just as good. For me I disagree, it's well worth the cost of a player and an extra £5 per disc.
What projector are you running? You do have to be running a high end projector to make use of the extra colours and resolution available at 1080P.

Cheers
Lee

RB5-Black 28 October 2008 05:45 PM

What projector are you running?
ermm an Epson one I think. It was put in as part of my cinema room, sorry I'm not an AV buff just like my games on the big screen :D

logiclee 28 October 2008 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2 (Post 8228849)
, 1080p digital films are the way forward :) .

I agree there, Blu-Ray will be the last disc format but the UK will have to get the bandwith issues sorted before hi-def movie streaming or popular downloading becomes the norm.

Even in Japan and the US they are 5 to 7 years away from be able to offer such widespread services and I can't see the UK being fully fibre within 10 years.

Not too bothered anyway, I have a £1000 Laserdisc player in my rack with £45 each discs sat upstairs. Blu-Ray players will be under £100 in a year and discs around £10. Hardly going to break the bank if we go with downloading in 7 to 10 years.

Cheers
Lee

logiclee 28 October 2008 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by RB5-Black (Post 8228906)
ermm an Epson one I think. It was put in as part of my cinema room, sorry I'm not an AV buff just like my games on the big screen :D

Then I agree, you won't see much difference between upscaled DVD and Blu-Ray as your projector is not capable of showing you the increased detail and colour depth.

Even the very latest 1080P projectors under around £3k struggle to do justice to Blu-Ray at 7ft IMO. Looked around myself a few months back.

Cheers
Lee

Norman Dog 28 October 2008 07:37 PM

PS3 or XBOX360 :wonder:

My son has an XBOX1, PS2, PSP, DS + XBOX360, I'm getting him A Wii for Christmas, although we'll probably sell the PS2 as it doesn't really get used.

I wouldn't have a PS3. Why? What can you do with all of the above that you can't with a PS3? ;)

Wizzbang 28 October 2008 10:54 PM

easy....the PS3 is the only console that lets you watch Bluray films

That seems to be most PS3 owners view on why their chosen console is greater than the competition.

For me personally, when I want to upgrade my extensive DVD library onto Bluray then a proper dedicated standalone player will be on my list of purchases (maybe something like the Pioneer BDP-LX08), not an added on feature to a £300 games console

kbsub 28 October 2008 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by RB5-Black (Post 8228805)

As Lee as already said the difference is night and day and you with a big screen should notice the difference even more, or is trip to Specsavers due :D

bob269 29 October 2008 12:43 AM

I think Lee's kinda missing the point of this thread, and he's such a purist then there are a lot better bluray players on the market.

Anyways back on topic the original OP asked which console to get, now i'm thinking the main function of a console is gaming so how about stop mentioning about your av room and start commenting on how much you use your console for gaming. Otherwise go post on avforums.

kbsub 29 October 2008 01:08 AM

there are a lot better bluray players on the market.
That's just not true at all ...

Fact is the PS3 is still the best Blu Ray player on the market, And you 360 boys are kind of missing that point , Lots of people have bought the PS3 just for Blu Ray playback (including me ) and have no interest in gaming, So really it all boils down to what the OP wants to use the console for as they have many other uses other than gaming.

KiwiGTI 29 October 2008 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by logiclee (Post 8228921)
Even in Japan and the US they are 5 to 7 years away from be able to offer such widespread services and I can't see the UK being fully fibre within 10 years.

It's already there. iTunes has HD versions of most TV show and movies. Approx 18GB for a whole HD TV series isn't that bad.

Apart from that I just watch absolutely everything online now with a combination of iTunes, iPlayer, 4OD and all the US television stations. (hulu.com too). I guess to me it's a bit like gaming, graphics are secondary to gameplay. For the majority of TV it's very watchable now from streaming sources or downloads.

Boro 29 October 2008 03:38 AM

LOL, these topics always end in the same arguments from 360 or PS3 fans.

Just buy a 360 and be done with it, haha.

Weve got a PS3 and 360, PS3 only ever gets turned on these days to play a Blu-ray. 360 is for gamers (been said a few times now).

logiclee 29 October 2008 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by bob269 (Post 8230025)
I think Lee's kinda missing the point of this thread, and he's such a purist then there are a lot better bluray players on the market.

I already have a stand alone blu-ray player as well as the PS3, I posted opinions on stand alone v's PS3 earlier in the thread.

Cheers
Lee

logiclee 29 October 2008 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 8230091)
It's already there. iTunes has HD versions of most TV show and movies. Approx 18GB for a whole HD TV series isn't that bad.

Apart from that I just watch absolutely everything online now with a combination of iTunes, iPlayer, 4OD and all the US television stations. (hulu.com too). I guess to me it's a bit like gaming, graphics are secondary to gameplay. For the majority of TV it's very watchable now from streaming sources or downloads.

It's already here for a few geeks to download (including myself). The UK's infrastructure does not have enough bandwith to allow for widespread HD streaming. That's why BT are trying to get assistance to install fibre across the UK. Without it we are staying with a disc format.

Cheers
Lee

Rubberscooby 30 October 2008 12:43 PM

Get both ! Both have great features. I had a 360 and sold it for a PS3. I do miss it ! But love the blu ray player on the ps3

HankScorpio 30 October 2008 01:44 PM

I watch these threads with interest and I have this very day ordered a....

PS3!!

In my house, I have no CD player (and about a thousand CDs), no DVD player (and about 800 DVDs) and no games console (but a PSP).

I wanted a simple (i.e. wife friendly) solution to be able to play those CDs I haven't ripped, the DVDs I haven't ripped and the BluRays I'll no doubt buy.
I'm not a hardcore gamer (have only completed two games ever), don't have the attention span to finish things, hate complex gameplay and just like to dive in, kill a few things or drive a few cars and move on. I am a fan of eye candy over plot and have no desire to be overly "challenged" by a game. Online racing with my mates is the thing I enjoy most.

I also couldn't give a monkey's about media streaming as I have an alternate for that.

Also had to look smart in the lounge.

The decision for me was an easy one.
(Fanboy status pending but looking like it'll be confirmed:D)

RoadrunnerV2 30 October 2008 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by HankScorpio (Post 8233298)
I watch these threads with interest and I have this very day ordered a....

PS3!!

In my house, I have no CD player (and about a thousand CDs), no DVD player (and about 800 DVDs) and no games console (but a PSP).

I wanted a simple (i.e. wife friendly) solution to be able to play those CDs I haven't ripped, the DVDs I haven't ripped and the BluRays I'll no doubt buy.
I'm not a hardcore gamer (have only completed two games ever), don't have the attention span to finish things, hate complex gameplay and just like to dive in, kill a few things or drive a few cars and move on. I am a fan of eye candy over plot and have no desire to be overly "challenged" by a game. Online racing with my mates is the thing I enjoy most.

I also couldn't give a monkey's about media streaming as I have an alternate for that.

Also had to look smart in the lounge.

The decision for me was an easy one.
(Fanboy status pending but looking like it'll be confirmed:D)

For your needs, the PS3 was the right choice :)

PS3 = Excellent all round AV/media capabilities centre & good games console
360 = Average/Good AV centre/media capabilities & excellent games console

EddScott 30 October 2008 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Boro (Post 8230111)
LOL, these topics always end in the same arguments from 360 or PS3 fans.

Yes, you get some nob coming on and saying PC gaming is better anyway.

;)