ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Redundant (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/701824-redundant.html)

coolangatta 23 July 2008 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 8022855)
Tidgy, he Nuclear industry is about to take off, a lot of the original guys have retired so there is a shortage but anything engineering related they may retrain, I work for Amec and they are looking for 700 people.

Sellafield bound no doubt :D

r32 23 July 2008 12:20 PM

Just announced 200 to 300 redundancies, ah well.................

jonny_693 23 July 2008 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 8022297)
i was told on monda that i'll find out tomorrow if im being made redundant.

not eaten since being told and still not got any appetite

anyone else in same situation?

Got this letter last year. Blah blah your job is at risk and we'll let you know a week from now etc. Cleared my locker out there and then and did one! The best thing I ever did, I hated that fukin job! Got a little job driving a van for a couple of months to see me through, times were hard at first though I did get a bit of a pay out (all holiday hours that I hadn't taken). Now got a job paying more money than ever. Chin up mate as the others have said get straight on the job hunt and don't be left in limbo. ;)

fivetide 23 July 2008 12:48 PM

Good luck chap. As others have said, monitor the news for companies undertaking big energy projects. these, especially wind farms seem to be the place for growth at the moment.

5t.

richie001 23 July 2008 01:01 PM

Sorry to hear that mate been there twice the first time was a shock but i was out of work for a week the second time got a job the day after i left.

New_scooby_04 23 July 2008 02:13 PM

A worrying time for anyone, this. I hope it pans out well for you, Tidgy and anyone else affected!

ns04

dunx 23 July 2008 06:53 PM

Wind farms can't grow, I understand only two companies make them, so prices are "sky high".

Funny me !

Good luck fellas.

DunxC

slipstream_uk 24 July 2008 12:59 AM

I was made redundant on 23rd April, 22years and 1 week in that job. I look at it as a blessing fecking hated the job {printer}. Now retraining in college in I.T.

Ok the money is crap now £70 a week from £650 a week, but im happy im doing something I like. My redundancy will support me for 18 months. Look at it as one door closes and another one opens.

jods 24 July 2008 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003 (Post 8022413)
yep im in the same boat, end of last year found out wife was pregnant with our first, next day find out I am being made redundant at the end of jan 09. Wife on maternity gets called into a meeting the other day. High probability she is going to be made redundant as well (will find out in sept after consultation process)

Pregnant? Redundancy? That equates to a case for discrimination and [as I understand it] unlimited compensation - Worth checking with the local CAB (if they haven't been shut down)
:eek:

jaytc2003 24 July 2008 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 8025676)
Pregnant? Redundancy? That equates to a case for discrimination and [as I understand it] unlimited compensation - Worth checking with the local CAB (if they haven't been shut down)
:eek:

thats what we thought, however the ruling on it can be interpretted in different ways. Also it is probably the whole dept which means her company can do it :(

shamrock 24 July 2008 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8022313)
Tried for months to be made vuluntarily redundant last year but never got it :mad:

The world will always need cleaners :thumb:

rossi_p 24 July 2008 01:18 PM

I'm with those who say blessing in disguise.

Was with the same company for five years and busted my balls for them. Within six months I had eclipsed everybody in my department, but paid about 15-20k less a year than everybody else. Had a high risk job but being paid crap-all.... Knew redundancies were coming and had a chat with boss and got it. Nice payoff and found a job straight away paying over 50% more!! Shows just how badly paid I was before!!

If it comes... treat it as an opportunity to move on and further your career or do things you've always wanted to do.

You say you have a new house rental contract - if you can find replacements, you can move on... Go travel or something if no work comes up. I was going to, but job offer was on the table.

Best of luck to you all!

Coffin Dodger 24 July 2008 02:29 PM

No word from the OP, he must have been made redundant and spent the rest of yesterday in the pub. No doubt sleeping it off today :)

Tidgy 24 July 2008 04:42 PM

well the word came down yesterday and here i am sat at home :(

however its not all dom and gloom, might have a few prosepcts in the future

DCI Gene Hunt 24 July 2008 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 8026768)

Sorry to hear that Tidgy, today you can feel sad... but don't forget tomorrow you start the new job hunt....;)

You should be excited at the potential new prospects that a new job offers!.... think positive fella :thumb:

New_scooby_04 24 July 2008 05:00 PM

Sorry to hear your bad news mate. Chin up though, remember:

The Japanese use the same word for crisis, as they do for opportunity!

BANZAI ;) :D

Just kidding, but you get what I mean. Something better will come along! :thumb:

All the best,

Paul

Coffin Dodger 24 July 2008 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 8026768)

I know it's hard by try to be positive about it. If your luck is in you'll find a new and even better job in no time and get a big fat redundancy cheque from the old place (tax free!). :thumb:

Tidgy 24 July 2008 09:25 PM

the cheque will be nice if i find a new job.

but thanks for the owrds folks tis apreciated

zs_phil 25 July 2008 10:33 PM

im safe for now but what pees me off even more is the news and politicians stated there is no recession when all around me i hear of people getting made redundant if this isnt a recession what happens when there is one does the whole country explode

Mikkel 25 July 2008 10:56 PM

Not nice.

I went throught the same thing in 2001/2 when the arse fell out of the IT industry.