ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Scooby Net, What Does That Really Mean? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/692832-scooby-net-what-does-that-really-mean.html)

escott 09 June 2008 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Alan MaC (Post 7928315)
Thanks for the posts, supporting that no matter waht Subaru you drive, they are ALL Scoobs.

It would be intesting if the SN Managaement would offer an opinion??

Regards

Alan MaC

Yup, all Scoobs are Scoobs. It's nice to know that if I grow out of the Impreza into a Forester (import STi, mmmmmmm!) then I'll still be able to come on here for help and advice. Let's not forget there are some nice Legacys out there too, and all the non-turbo cars owned by people on here have been bought by enthusiasts of the brand.

Otherwise we may as well just call it 2 door classic Impreza-Net.

Mikkel 09 June 2008 04:04 PM

I don't think anyone has said that they don't appreciate other models created by Subaru if you read the thread. I also think the owners contribute a lot here and have a place.

The point being made is that the term "Scooby" is synonymous with the Impreza as opposed to Subarus in general and was actually coined by people referring to Imprezas rather than "Subarus". As inaccurate as that may be considering the nick name is based on the manufacturer rather than the model... but hey ho...

NoFEAR 09 June 2008 04:41 PM

I believe I have been told once, that the term "scooby" was invented from a word "scoop" and therefore stands for every Subaru with a hood scoop, no matter the model... :cuckoo:

Mikkel 09 June 2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by NoFEAR (Post 7930026)
I believe I have been told once, that the term "scooby" was invented from a word "scoop" and therefore stands for every Subaru with a hood scoop, no matter the model... :cuckoo:

Nothing to do with Scooby Doo then... :cuckoo:

NoFEAR 09 June 2008 08:23 PM

It may have been insipred by scooby doo, but because of the scoop, not because of the brand name Subaru.

I may be wrong about it, but like I said - I was told so... :wonder:

This could also explain why some claim that the "scooby" stands for the Impreza - I believe the term was invented in the US, where most popular Subaru's are the Impreza's and almost all of them are turbo's which of course also have the hood scoop...

miff13 09 June 2008 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by NoFEAR (Post 7930668)
It may have been insipred by scooby doo, but because of the scoop, not because of the brand name Subaru.

I may be wrong about it, but like I said - I was told so... :wonder:

This could also explain why some claim that the "scooby" stands for the Impreza - I believe the term was invented in the US, where most popular Subaru's are the Impreza's and almost all of them are turbo's which of course also have the hood scoop...

Then it would be a scoopy wouldn't it! I doubt it originated in the US either, they're not that big on their rhyming slang.

catons scooby 09 June 2008 09:51 PM

ERM TAKE ALOOK AT THE MASSIVE BANNER AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE...

scoobylive- scooby shootout

every car in the pic is an impreza as its the sort after SUBARU

Alan MaC 09 June 2008 10:47 PM

But is it?

Take a Legacy, Forester into a Garage for work, the Mechanic always says, when do you want me to work on the Scooby??

Regards

Alan MaC

Mikkel 09 June 2008 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Alan MaC (Post 7931118)
But is it?

Take a Legacy, Forester into a Garage for work, the Mechanic always says, when do you want me to work on the Scooby??

Regards

Alan MaC

Because the term is used more widely now (incorrectly or correctly depending on how you view it), but it wasn't originally applied to anything but the Impreza IMHO. Even then as has been pointed out on here already by "boy racers" as opposed to the wider general public that you are now quoting.

Cret 09 June 2008 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mikkel (Post 7928657)
Come on, nobody takes the term seriously do they... lol

I'd have to beg to differ based on the following kind of comments it's clear that some people will almost foam about it:

Originally Posted by catons scooby (Post 7930942)
ERM TAKE ALOOK AT THE MASSIVE BANNER AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE...

scoobylive- scooby shootout

every car in the pic is an impreza as its the sort after SUBARU

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 7928423)
The impreza is the only desired subaru,why dont they rally legacy`s ?

ah yes,thats why........

scooby is an impreza, go upto anyone and say i own a scooby, then ask them what model they think it is....

I'm not getting into any kind of 'my car vs your car' silliness at all - all are good. Mine is not an impreza yet most people I know (mix of car people & non car people) refer to it as the scooby or scoob.

Many people will assume that you are talking about an impreza if you mention that you have a scoob/scooby, but then isn't there a saying about the relation of the word 'ass' to the word 'assume'? ;)

dunx 10 June 2008 08:47 AM

It all comes down to how many there are out there....

Sadly nowhere near as many Leggies left now.

IMHO

DunxC

P.S. The tech knowledge on these cars is also apparently much more restricted, so less activity !

Paul3446 10 June 2008 09:30 AM

Why not just have a poll to see what everyone has, ie: Impreza, Forester, Legacy etc.

Then you may get your answer! :)

Alan MaC 10 June 2008 09:25 PM

Good idea.

Bit thick, how do you do that then??:wonder:

Regards

Alan MaC

NorthDownsScooby 10 June 2008 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alan MaC (Post 7932941)
Good idea.
Bit thick, how do you do that then??:wonder:
Regards
Alan MaC

Whaaat...you don't know how to do a poll of what Subarus people drive on ScoobyNet...???

Here's what you do:

1. Start a new thread
2. Give it a relevant title, like "what Impreza do you drive"....
3. etc

Rich
:thumb:

Alan MaC 11 June 2008 07:32 AM

Cheers.

I see someone else has started that thread already.

Regards

Alan

Bam31bam 11 June 2008 07:42 AM

I'm likeing this thread, no nastyness just a good debate!. It's so refreshing!:thumb:

I cringe at the name scoob as well,much prefer Impreza......

PantsUK 11 June 2008 09:32 AM

.... Ive been teleported to an SIDC forum ....

:Whatever_

NorthDownsScooby 11 June 2008 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by PantsUK (Post 7933510)
.... Ive been teleported to an SIDC forum ....

:Whatever_

The clue's definitely in the name with that particular site.

Seat Ibiza Drivers' club....?

:thumb:

Myles 11 June 2008 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by superstar1 (Post 7928499)
Number 1 isn't true, McRae first won in a Justy, and scoobynet was nearly called justynet but then they brought out the Forrester, so they called it forresternet, but that did'nt seem right. But when the Impreza came out (which is basically a stretch Justy) they decided to call it scoobynet because people could'nt spell IMPRZZIA, IMPREZZA, IMPPREZA ( see what i mean).
I think you will all find that this is the correct story;)

Is the For'R'ester any relation to Phillipa Forrester? Imprezza is a good search on ebay, as loads of fools list their bits as Imprezza and someone gets a steal.

Myles 11 June 2008 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bam31bam (Post 7933394)
I'm likeing this thread, no nastyness just a good debate!. It's so refreshing!:thumb:

I cringe at the name scoob as well,much prefer Impreza......

Join the club, us Plymothians all think alike! I just say Subaru, when asked, and wait for the questions, "Does it have a turbo/two turbos/(or as I have been asked once)three turbos?!" "How fast does it go, top end like?" "Why do you not have the massive spoiler"@ etc.

GazTheHat 11 June 2008 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker (Post 7928643)
Scooby is a chav term for a Subaru Impreza as far as I'm concerned.

..it may have been a coolish tag 10 years ago or so,but now it's so totally lame it just makes me cringehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...adbanana-1.gif

Sorry, but i agree.

EDIT: And yes i did have an impreza turbo 11 years ago, but still then never called it a scooby.

M444GY 11 June 2008 01:56 PM

http://nicknackpaddywhack.files.word...c11747661.jpeg

http://www.anglingclassics.co.uk/RTWoodenNet.JPG

:D