ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   how much for a 2.5 conversion on a classic (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/667296-how-much-for-a-2-5-conversion-on-a-classic.html)

GazTheHat 15 February 2008 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jd5217 (Post 7655835)
321h?? not bigger or want to just crack 400

420 odd is available. Didn't want to compromise on spooling.

Anyway, back to 2.5 built engines and costs....

ex-webby 15 February 2008 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 7655048)
name me any 2.5's running that kinda power and have lasted?

i think the biggest difference is the fact the 2.33's are closed deck blocks.

The Type25 race car 2.5l was running that power for most of the 2006 Time Attack season.

My 2.5l engine has been running over 500bhp with no problems (same as Type25 race engine spec.).

Sleepersy on here ran his 2.5l at around 600bhp for many miles, until he had fuel surge on track and mullered it (nothing to do with a failure of engine internals in their own right).

Alan Bell ran 500bhp on his 2.5l with no apparant problems.

Shall I go on? :D

andy97 15 February 2008 12:29 PM

But i bloody wanna feel like 450/450 feels like
Well you'll need 550bhp in your car to match 450bhp classic :D

andythejock01wrx 15 February 2008 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 7655605)
"It's to do with the oil feeds"?

It's actually to do with support for the cylinders - open deck blocks have no supports between the "top" end of the cylinders and the block wall, whereas semi and closed have some supports/ plenty of supports between the two.

The benefits are that the open deck cylinders can "walk" under load (move/distort) which can blow the gasket and/or the cylinders themselves eventually, whereas the supports prevent that. Big power is best made in the strongest i.e. CDB blocks.

Subaru Block aftermarket conversion (not as good as the OEM one, but it shows you what I'm talking about)

The closed deck blocks do also have oil squirters near the crank end which squirt oil at the underside of the pistons.

Cheers Large Lad - very helpful. :thumb:

Tidgy 15 February 2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 7655852)
The Type25 race car 2.5l was running that power for most of the 2006 Time Attack season.

My 2.5l engine has been running over 500bhp with no problems (same as Type25 race engine spec.).

Sleepersy on here ran his 2.5l at around 600bhp for many miles, until he had fuel surge on track and mullered it (nothing to do with a failure of engine internals in their own right).

Alan Bell ran 500bhp on his 2.5l with no apparant problems.

Shall I go on? :D

what block was it?

what was trhe full spec of the engine?

GazTheHat 15 February 2008 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 7655855)
Well you'll need 550bhp in your car to match 450bhp classic :D

Thought the newage only needed 50bhp more. Bugger! There was me thinking i'd keep the VF35 classics behind me. :smug:

.......And believe me, i've contemplated selling up and buying a high powered classic to taste it.

Just don't care for the image they've got though.
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resou...flame_suit.jpg

ex-webby 15 February 2008 12:37 PM

The full spec of the Cosworth engine (minus details like compression ratio etc.... can't give too much away lol) will be given in the Engine Stage 3 article for the ScoobyNet Project Car, due to be published on here next week. :) The engine in our Spec C is the same specification as the PowerStation / Litchfield 2006 Time Attack winning Spec C.

Tidgy 15 February 2008 12:37 PM

my my00 uk turbo running 260 kept up with hawker running 355bhp, up to about 90, then as the td04 started to struggle he was off into the distance.

on a private track of course ;)

Tidgy 15 February 2008 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 7655888)
The full spec of the Cosworth engine (minus details like compression ratio etc.... can't give too much away lol) will be given in the Engine Stage 3 article for the ScoobyNet Project Car, due to be published on here next week. :) The engine in our Spec C is the same specification as the PowerStation / Litchfield 2006 Time Attack winning Spec C.

balls, nearly got him lads, pmsl

im interested cos i may have a big build, and always open to the ideas on best route to go

andy97 15 February 2008 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 7655867)
what block was it?

what was trhe full spec of the engine?

I believe he is using a full cosworth setup, heads and block

like here PowerStation

jd5217 15 February 2008 12:44 PM

if you want details of the time attack car, find a back issue of JapPerformance LOL

andythejock01wrx 15 February 2008 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 7655874)
Thought the newage only needed 50bhp more. Bugger! There was me thinking i'd keep the VF35 classics behind me. :smug:

.......And believe me, i've contemplated selling up and buying a high powered classic to taste it.

[/IMG]

The classic's advantage increases as the power goes up.

268bhp uk turbo = 300bhp newage wrx

300 bhp uk turbo = 360bhp newage sti

450bhp uk turbo = 540bhp newage sti.

Well, that's what I worked out, anyway ! :lol1: ;)

(And I'd still take the newage ! :D ).

ex-webby 15 February 2008 12:45 PM

lol @ Tidgy

Andy97 - I am, but with few other bits and bobs. :)

GazTheHat 15 February 2008 12:47 PM

I might have to opt for some free power then. :idea:

Give me a: M......E.....T.... :norty:

Tidgy 15 February 2008 12:48 PM

mmm, tis food for thought :D

ex-webby 15 February 2008 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 7655920)
The classic's advantage increases as the power goes up.

268bhp uk turbo = 300bhp newage wrx

300 bhp uk turbo = 360bhp newage sti

450bhp uk turbo = 540bhp newage sti.

Well, that's what I worked out, anyway ! :lol1: ;)

(And I'd still take the newage ! :D ).

No way as easy as that to compare..... way too many other variables other than peak bhp and weight.

GazTheHat 15 February 2008 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 7655966)
No way as easy as that to compare..... way too many other variables other than peak bhp and weight.

What would you say is your rule of thumb then. Guestimate.

andythejock01wrx 15 February 2008 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 7655966)

True - but that is a reasonable guide to the comparison between peak power and weight. :) (I think :lol1: ).

ex-webby 15 February 2008 01:08 PM

Unless you have done some meaningful comparisons of performance data (using the same driver) it is quite hard to substantiate imo. The weight, drag co-efficiency and gearing are only three areas of impact. It also depends on what discipline you are trying to compare as well. Some disciplines will rely more on specific areas of impact than others.... all I know is that if I stuck my engine in a car with better drag co-efficency, less weight and better gearing (i.e. a classic) I would probably get to where I was going before I even set off...... as long as it was in a straight line! :D

andythejock01wrx 15 February 2008 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 7656002)
Unless you have done some meaningful comparisons of performance data (using the same driver) it is quite hard to substantiate imo. The weight, drag co-efficiency and gearing are only three areas of impact. It also depends on what discipline you are trying to compare as well. Some disciplines will rely more on specific areas of impact than others.... all I know is that if I stuck my engine in a car with better drag co-efficency, less weight and better gearing (i.e. a classic) I would probably get to where I was going before I even set off...... as long as it was in a straight line! :D

Back to the drawing board for Andythejock. :(

;)

GazTheHat 15 February 2008 01:12 PM

I dunno mate, i could read your comparison. :lol1:

I'll sit in ignorant bliss of the 50bhp rule of thumb then.

Until a classic overtakes me. :Suspiciou

andythejock01wrx 15 February 2008 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 7656020)
I dunno mate, i could read your comparison. :lol1:

I'll sit in ignorant bliss of the 50bhp rule of thumb then.

Until a classic overtakes me. :Suspiciou

Might happen - you're not so far from Port Seton. :lol1: ;)

turboDean 15 February 2008 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 7655731)
scoobyclinic will do one for 9k for 450bhp approx, its called the SC450 ;)

That's £9K+VAT, which is £10575 plus that doesn't allow for uprated clutch and gearbox so u can add another couple of grand for that, or they do a "special offer" on the SC450+PPG+UPRATED CLUTCH for £12000+Vat (£14100).

GazTheHat 15 February 2008 04:20 PM

That's a whole heap of cash.

Best let someone else take the hit and buy modified. :thumb:

Tidgy 15 February 2008 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by turboDean (Post 7656611)
That's £9K+VAT, which is £10575 plus that doesn't allow for uprated clutch and gearbox so u can add another couple of grand for that, or they do a "special offer" on the SC450+PPG+UPRATED CLUTCH for £12000+Vat (£14100).

name somewhere else that can offer it that cheap?

you scrimp on going tha far power wise and it litteraly blows up in your face

Leg@cy 15 February 2008 04:55 PM

I know it says 'From' , but this seems quite good..........

see stage 3 or 4

TEG Sport

ex-webby 15 February 2008 04:58 PM

You pay for what you get.... that is the way it is I am afraid. There is no such thing as a "cheap" conversion at these kind's of levels.

It has to be said that even the engine is only part of it..... depending on the intended use, all sorts of ancillaries may need to be uprated and added.

FWIW.... unless you have some serious wedge I wouldnt bother going down this route. You have been warned! ;)

MMT WRX 15 February 2008 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18 (Post 7650354)
i am thinking about doing a 2.5 conversion to my 99 classic in a few months, how much would this cost?

Scoobyclinic website here
STi 2.5 Upgrade
Are you looking for more power and bags of torque? Why not go for the ultimate upgrade with an STI 2.5 bottom end!!! We can use your exsiting heads or STi/P1 heads and a large hybrid turbo with bespoke up&down pipes, front mounted intercooler and vernier adjustable cam timing the sky really is the limit!!

Model: All Models
Price: from £4500 (including ecu mapping)
+ vat

Leg@cy 15 February 2008 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 7656818)
It has to be said that even the engine is only part of it..... depending on the intended use, all sorts of ancillaries may need to be uprated and added.

FWIW.... unless you have some serious wedge I wouldnt bother going down this route. You have been warned! ;)

I would DEFFO agree here !!

It starts out at a 'certain price' then you find yourself adding this that and the other !!....... to make other components stand up to the stress ect ect...

It can spiral out of ALL control !!

but it's FUN !!

Aztec Performance Ltd 15 February 2008 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 7656002)

...or a better driver :p