ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Another Lotto Winner Skint ... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/666750-another-lotto-winner-skint.html)

Tiggs 11 February 2008 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 7644378)
right done the math, could have done that in that post but hey there you go

basicly 8mill divide by 100 = 80k, times by 12 for interest at 12% (offsure tax free acounts, my uncle works for barclays in the oveseas acounts deparments and that comes from him ;) ) = 960k divide by 52 weeks = £18,461.54 per week

rather than bother to ask you how to bring 18k into the UK without paying tax on it.....i'll ask where you get 12% in an offshore account. I've put millions in offshore bank accounts, i must have missed this one!

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 11 February 2008 04:57 PM

I don`t have one ounce of sympathy for someone that blows £10 million.

CrisPDuk 11 February 2008 05:09 PM

One thing I've never understood about lottery winners, and footballers for that matter. Why do they immediately go out and buy massive houses when the money rolls in :wonder:
I wouldn't want anything bigger than I have already, bigger house just means more work and more maintenance to me:nono:

Having said that, I would probably have to acquire an industrial unit somewhere to house the car/bike collection I'd build up:cool:

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 11 February 2008 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 7644850)
One thing I've never understood about lottery winners, and footballers for that matter. Why do they immediately go out and buy massive houses when the money rolls in :wonder:

Its a status thing to show how well your doing and to let everyone else know, you get the odd few that this won`t apply too but for the majority of big earners then this is the case. Its just like we rich people buy more flash cars, its to go with their image of being a big earner.

eClaire 11 February 2008 05:32 PM

Lol! It's alright Sharkman, Stephen is a good friend of mines :luvlove: ; he knows I'm only joking :)

I feel like a bit of a prick now (even though I shouldn't, very disadvantaged when it comes to things like this; 24 AND female!). I recieved an enlightening phonecall - Livi were once called Meadowbank Thistle. :o

There y'are, you learn something new everyday! :D

jjones 11 February 2008 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 7644082)
He's an idiot, it's possible to make a modest (albeit very modest) living on the interest of £1.5M alone! :rolleyes:

modest ? 1.5m at 6% is more than modest! would be nice to earn that sort of money for doing the square root of cock all!

Luminous 11 February 2008 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by jjones (Post 7645031)
modest ? 1.5m at 6% is more than modest! would be nice to earn that sort of money for doing the square root of cock all!

He may have been assuming that you wanted to receive the interest in perpetuity, while also maintaining its buying power. £1000 50 years ago was a large amount of money, these days its worth nowhere near as much.

So if you want to live your whole live 60+ years from the interest alone, you can only spend the interest element that is above inflation.

Eg: Interest rate you get is 6%, inflation is 4%, so you only get to spend 2%. That drops your income down to only £30,000. I say only, as that is still a proper wage for doing nothing.

Shark Man 11 February 2008 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jjones (Post 7645031)

Modest being of that £1.5M, half will be expected to be tied up in assets; such as house, cars etc. Realistically leaving alot less to use as an investment to gain an interest that one could use to gain an income from.

Anyhoo, thats besides the point.

pauly 11 February 2008 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 7644226)
Money can buy you many things............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......but obviously not common sense! :D

:thumb: :thumb:

sti-04!! 11 February 2008 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by eClaire (Post 7644918)
Lol! It's alright Sharkman, Stephen is a good friend of mines :luvlove: ; he knows I'm only joking :)

I feel like a bit of a prick now (even though I shouldn't, very disadvantaged when it comes to things like this; 24 AND female!). I recieved an enlightening phonecall - Livi were once called Meadowbank Thistle. :o

There y'are, you learn something new everyday! :D

;) They moved to Livingston about 10 to 15 yrs ago. :D

NotoriousREV 11 February 2008 09:20 PM

Giving away capital to family, friends and charity was mistake number 1. Invest the capital and give them the interest if you want to give some away.