ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Europe road trip advice needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/662988-europe-road-trip-advice-needed.html)

STi-Frenchie 26 January 2008 10:28 PM

BTW Monaco to Millau is a far ways to drive....

Scoobychick 26 January 2008 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by STi-Frenchie (Post 7600461)
BTW Monaco to Millau is a far ways to drive....

We weren't thinking of doing it in one hit :D

STi-Frenchie 26 January 2008 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 7600443)
Such a very generous and caring guy...... :lol1:

It's just that ScoobyNet brings out the community spirit in me Kieran :lol1:

Simon C 26 January 2008 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by STi-Frenchie (Post 7600435)
How about I save you the worry of the trip and take your place :D:D:D

I'm going, even if I have to fly and take the train (about 6 hours journey time)

You could always join me :D

I'm sure I could persuade you :D

Google image these names

Sandrine Bailly
Kasia MÄKÄRÄINEN
Svetlana SLEPTSOVA

Sure you wanna sit at home :D

STi-Frenchie 26 January 2008 10:39 PM

They all look far too fit and heathy for me :D probably too young too - got any pictures of their mothers :lol1:

...couldn't see anything for the second name in google...

Simon C 26 January 2008 10:47 PM

STi, neither could I so heres a video :D

YouTube - Kappaleena :)

if your into the older ones, google Kati Wilhelm and Andrea Henkel then.

Kieran_Burns 26 January 2008 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by STi-Frenchie (Post 7600470)
It's just that ScoobyNet brings out the community spirit in me Kieran :lol1:

I WAS going to say caring and feeling but that took me down a path I wasn't willing to walk :p

Alan C 02 June 2008 10:10 PM

Several chaps and chapesses from the WYIOC have just got back (this weekend) from a Stelvio road trip.

Couple of pointers....

1. Take lots of Euro's in cash. 4 of us got our cards hit a few times for Fraud at respectable Petrol outlets in Belgium and Geneva. It's rife over there...

2. if you go to Switzerland, the main roads are tolled so you need to buy a £20 Motorway pass. This lasts 1 year and even though we set sat navs to avoid all tolls (it worked in France and saved us £100) it failed in Switzerland and we all got a £50 fine for driving a small section.

3. We also got reported (we think it was some stuck up lorry driver) for going too slow through a tunnel or making what people believed were aggressive overtakes. Similar to over here where you can make a quick move and other road users don't appreciate the cars ability in overtaking. Plus we were all on Walkie talkies so were in constant communication about overtaking safety as you have to pull out quite far to be able to see properly. Coupled with the exhaust noise of a few of the lads, it probably sounded like they were doing 200 MPH as well (especially through the tunnels). Police were cool about it at the toll / border areas, but thought we were Gumball racers until we convinced them we were just on a driving holiday...

4. Take ALL your docs with you. Both driving licence parts, V5, Insurance (one lad forgot his V5 and we were stuck for an hour as it needed faxing from the UK) and make sure you have all the relevant stuff like GB stickers (of GB on your plate), Hi Viz jacket, Warning Triangle, proper med kit.

5. Make sure your insurance company know you're going and get European breakdown cover and health insurance. Insurance should cover you for free, but the extra Breakdown and Health cover will cost about £50.

6. Their speed cameras are unmarked and look different, so a Tom Tom map would be valuable. Safer still, just keep to the speed limits as the driving and roads are of a higher standard than here and aren't as crowded.

Even though we were extra careful not to raise attention and drive well within the law, their tolerance for quick, noisy(ish) cars is very low.

HTH :thumb: