ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   How to safely and effectively polish Subaru paint by hand and machine (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/662582-how-to-safely-and-effectively-polish-subaru-paint-by-hand-and-machine.html)

Averroes 01 February 2008 05:12 PM

Sorry about this lol but following the polish phase what glaze would you recommend as nothing listed above. Would you opt for Megs #7 or something else

Rich @ PB 04 February 2008 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Averroes (Post 7617177)
Whats the difference between the two?

The level of cut; 85RD is an ultra fine finishing polish with very little cut and is more used for refinement and gloss enhancement, while 106FA has much more cut and can be used for mild correction as well as refinement. Usually you either go with RD3.02 then 85RD, or else a single stage process using just 106FA. However, in most cases 106FA is not enough on its own to correct normal defectsin harder paints. :)

Rich @ PB 04 February 2008 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Averroes (Post 7617182)
Sorry about this lol but following the polish phase what glaze would you recommend as nothing listed above. Would you opt for Megs #7 or something else

No need to use a glaze; glazes are for hiding/masking defects and enhancing gloss, and after using the Menzerna polishes, you shouldn't have any defects left, and gloss will already be at a maximum. I have tried glazes like Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish and Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze after doing the above process and they make no further improvement - the 85RD really is in a league of its own when it comes to gloss enhancement. :)

Averroes 04 February 2008 10:58 AM

Excellent, thanks for the reply Rich. As always a very informative reply. I guess I know what i shall be buying now then

+Doc+ 09 February 2008 07:09 PM

Can I warn people to be in for a long day if they are attempted it by hand xD
Works though, great article.

mickaldo 10 February 2008 06:58 PM

10 hours later.

1 Attachment(s)
used the machine method excellent results thanks for your help rich. (not a lot of companys around like this these days keep up the good work cheers mick.)
Attachment 49826

Rich @ PB 11 February 2008 05:27 AM

Cheers for the feedback, great looking results! :thumb:

Prasius 11 February 2008 06:21 PM

I spent most of the weekend on the outside of mine, trying to get a hang of that G220! Every panel seems to look really good now apart from the damn bonnet which has a few deeper marks on it which I haven't managed to get rid of yet. Once I've given it another coat of Jeff's acrylic trigger at the weekend I'll get some pics up, as I ran out of light yesterday!

:)

Meris 09 April 2008 09:14 AM

Great, thanks for your information.

charlie75 26 March 2009 11:53 AM

Does anyone offer this service in the Essex at all?

I know a few valet firms but they don't go to these extremes! It seems once this has been done once all you need to do is wash, leather off and apply a bit of top polish every so often . . . I'd certainley pay someone to do it professionally rather than bugger about trying to do it myself.

If anyone does know someone can you drop my their details on a PM please,

Cheers Charlie

Spec'c'57 31 March 2009 08:30 PM

2clearbuckets

Matt is on here. ;)