ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Law regarding no water at work ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/623159-law-regarding-no-water-at-work.html)

KiwiGTI 24 July 2007 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX (Post 7132152)
40 odd people using 1 toilet that can't be flushed properley :wonder:

Never seems to bother people at festivals.

340BHP-WRX 24 July 2007 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 7134576)
Never seems to bother people at festivals.

:lol: Yeh true.

Andy S. 24 July 2007 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzz (Post 7132115)
FFS get a grip, no wonder this country is in such a **** state.
We're not all going to drop dead because we can't have a cup of tea at work..
or wash our hands.

Well said fuzz

At times like these we all need to pull together!!

If all the workforce does not go to work the company earns no money therefore no money to pay your wages!!

get a grip man!!

Andy S. 24 July 2007 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by jjones (Post 7134528)
piss on your hands, kill two birds with one stone

LOL

Fuzz 24 July 2007 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX (Post 7134541)

I myself have been out today collecting drinking water for members of staff and have setup water collection containers/boxes to collect rain water to use for the toilets.

Sorry if I came across as having an attitude :wonder:

Give that man a Cigar. :luxhello:

Now that's how initiative should be used in a work place..
from my <shudders> Royal marines days..
"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"
Not TUB* mode as we used to call it.

*Thumb up bum

Andy

Leslie 25 July 2007 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX (Post 7134541)
I think you have all missed my point completely :Whatever_

I have been with the company over 11 years and have worked through floods,power cuts,heatwaves etc but it's never been as bad as this.

The reason I asked the question is because most people I know have been told by their employers not to go to work due to health and safety reasons with limited/no water supply. Some are on paid time off and some are not being paid.

I simply wanted to know what the law stated regarding working in this situation.

I myself have been out today collecting drinking water for members of staff and have setup water collection containers/boxes to collect rain water to use for the toilets.

Sorry if I came across as having an attitude :wonder:

I think it came across as though you were looking for an excuse to skip work.

You have obviously taken a sensible and responsible attitude to the problem at work anyway.

Les :)

Graz 25 July 2007 04:40 PM

I work in Tewkesbury.

We've been told not to come in as the office cannot be opened for health and safety reasons. They seem to be paranoid about H&S at our place anyway, I guess as an American company they fear getting their arses sued off over stuff like this.

Unfortunately the majority of us can *cough* work at home as we have VPN access into our network and there is still power to the building in Tewkesbury. So that's what I'm doing, albeit at a reduced output level :D

340BHP-WRX 25 July 2007 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 7136356)
I think it came across as though you were looking for an excuse to skip work.

You have obviously taken a sensible and responsible attitude to the problem at work anyway.

Les :)

Today I went out and got loads of anti-bacterial handwash so we can at least try and stay healthy ;)

My boss lives just outside Tewkesbury and his water has come back on so we went and filled loads of containers and brought them into work,no problems at all really now ;)

The owner of the building next to us came round and said he was sending all his staff home as they had no water and how were we coping,we told him how we were managing and you could tell he hadn't even thought about it :rolleyes:

rgv_stu 25 July 2007 06:04 PM

well our place is still running, even the toilets still flush , must have a big old tank up in the roof !! bottled water for drinks and that handwash gel for washing with.

Fuzz 25 July 2007 07:27 PM

Our swarfega wet wipes turned up today thankfully, that bucket of handwashing water is starting to fester. :D
The army were dishing out boxes of water this morning in B&Q so I dropped in and grabbed a box on the way to work. :thumb:

Andy

Andy S. 25 July 2007 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzz (Post 7137513)
Our swarfega wet wipes turned up today thankfully, that bucket of handwashing water is starting to fester. :D
The army were dishing out boxes of water this morning in B&Q so I dropped in and grabbed a box on the way to work. :thumb:

Andy

Are your phones working yet Andy?? they would not on Saturday

Fuzz 25 July 2007 11:04 PM

Off an on, supposed to have 4 or five lines, now have one and that's a bit flakey.

STi wanna Subaru 06 December 2010 10:59 AM

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

We have no water today at work.... now i can cope so far but already the gents are starting to stink something rotten and nobody can wash their hands after going.... link to another thread here ;)

I'm dreading what the situation will be like once the morning bacon butties have worked their way through the workforce here!

Fuzz 06 December 2010 10:47 PM

Has your town flooded or something?

urban 07 December 2010 08:39 AM

Bunch of soft boys!

Gear Head 07 December 2010 09:49 AM

Can't your company just hire a porta-loo? Would seem to fix the problem. 1 of these can handle to movements 8 employees for one week. So with 40 workers, with no flushing toilet, go figure! :razz:
Then just have a good supply of clean water to wash with.
1 bog for 40 people is a little harsh and you can't use the excuse 'well the company must be having a hard time ', as what other H&S basics are they skipping. Next, people will be saying it is ok for them to not have liability insurance because 'they are having a bad time'. Wake up, H&S is here to stay. Yes, a lot of it sounds like crap, but H&S policies are designed to protect the intelligent from the stupid! :thumb:

Economic climate is no excuse for treating your workers like animals and if anyone disagrees, I am glad I don't work for your company. The people who moan about H&S are the first ones to make a claim when they have a fall.

paulr 07 December 2010 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 7133510)

I remember when workers used to think about loyalty to their firms during such terrible occurrences too.

Les!

And i remember when firms used to treat staff with decency and respect. Works both ways.

Tidgy 07 December 2010 01:19 PM

no water at fixed place of work = sent home, simple realy.

Richy P1984 07 December 2010 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX (Post 7131550)
Anyone know what the law is regarding working without running water ?

At work in Tewkesbury today we had some water from the taps but it looks like we won't have any tomorrow as i'm at home in Cheltenham now and the water has pretty much stopped :mad:

My boss said we will be expected at work even if we have no water,they will fill buckets for flushing the toilet with :wonder:

Everyone I know has said it's illegal to make people work without running water,is this true ?

Unrelated but - do you go via the M5 or cross country via the jet petrol (yellow and blue) station? Used to live in Cheltenham and work in Tewkesbury at the Environment Agency. Alwasy thought the drive to an from work in the scoob would be quite fun!

Gear Head 07 December 2010 04:36 PM

Jesus, just realised how old this thread is. Thanks to STI wanna Subaru, I just had a rant on a subject 3 years old! :razz:

What a numpty I am! :D

Anyways, I would agree, no running water at fixed place of work = go home.
You are not being a softy, just human. We didn't get this far without discovering that germs = disease. :thumb:

Leslie 08 December 2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 9753266)
And i remember when firms used to treat staff with decency and respect. Works both ways.

That is a very good point and I agree.

Les

cupid0725 24 May 2012 03:44 PM

No water in workplace

In the United States it is a violation of OSHA regulations to not have running hot & cold water in the restroom. Section 1910.141.

Hope that helps.

Wurzel 24 May 2012 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX (Post 7134171)
What about when people start getting ill because they can't wash their hands properley before eating etc ?

You not heard of baby wipes?

you have been told in advance that there will be no water or minimal water so why not think for yourself and make provisions so that your life is not to unbearable for you 8 hours at work. Grab yourself a bottle or 2 of water and an a packet of baby wipes on your way to work. what is the big deal?

Ant 24 May 2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 10636880)
You not heard of baby wipes?

you have been told in advance that there will be no water or minimal water so why not think for yourself and make provisions so that your life is not to unbearable for you 8 hours at work. Grab yourself a bottle or 2 of water and an a packet of baby wipes on your way to work. what is the big deal?

:rolleyes:

speedking 24 May 2012 05:15 PM

OP, is the water back on yet ;)

340BHP-WRX 24 May 2012 05:18 PM

I can't believe this thread has been brought back from 2007 and 2010 !

I didn't know there had been further replies as I didn't get any email notifications until today and I rarely use this site anymore.

Coffin Dodger 24 May 2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by cupid0725 (Post 10636868)
In the United States it is a violation of OSHA regulations to not have running hot & cold water in the restroom. Section 1910.141.

Hope that helps.

Tewkesbury is not in the United States last time I looked ;) Anyway flood season is coming up soon so useful info :lol1:

340BHP-WRX 24 May 2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 10636961)
Tewkesbury is not in the United States last time I looked ;) Anyway flood season is coming up soon so useful info :lol1:

With my boss we're expected to work no matter what. If we have a power cut we get everyone cleaning up, if it floods staff are expected to make it in even if they have to wade through flood water.

We've had staff sleeping at work overnight in the past when the floods have been bad.

At times we've been the only business left open on the whole industrial estate ;)

Leslie 24 May 2012 05:27 PM

In the Services you would be classed as a "Barrack Room Lawyer" spending your time trying to find an excuse not to work and suffering from an extreme deficiency in basic loyalty to your firm.

Les

ScoobySteve69 24 May 2012 08:09 PM

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...surrection.jpg