ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Help with a car i sold 3 mths ago (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/619114-help-with-a-car-i-sold-3-mths-ago.html)

james baldwin 06 July 2007 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by scooby-tc (Post 7086156)
Any private sale of a car is on a 'sold as seen' basis they have to prove that you knew it had parts that needed replacing which is impossible.If you told them about any imperfections prior to selling it and they were happy when they bought the car then you have nothing to worry about.

Tell em to fcuk off :thumb:

My thoughts exactly :cool:

rob2006 06 July 2007 08:24 PM

thanks for all the replies so far. I'm not feeling so worried now. This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me.

I'm a completely honest bloke, hence the rear disc's, pads, oil change, fuel filter change ect before i sold it.

A few friends have said, to quote " your eye is your merchant "

I mean 3 months later and i have comeback... i think I'll refuse any further recorded delivery letters from them and should the CAB get in touch I'll make an appointment to find out why exactly they believe this people have a case against me.

rob2006 06 July 2007 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Simon 69 (Post 7086816)
*Edited for accuracy!*

LOL, dont want to get off topic, but i like him... scoobynet wouldn't be the same without him. :thumb:

rob2006 06 July 2007 08:34 PM

Further more i have just had another conversation with another friend and this sill that needed replaced must be a wind up.

My xsara was in really good condition and as he said there is no way it was rotten, she must have pranged it.!

I really feel like traveling the 5 miles to have it out with them but i no i shouldn't... so wont.

rob2006 06 July 2007 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu (Post 7086773)
5 days to respond or else what?

If he persists, try to get the details of his MOT friend - so you can maybe verify his qualifications - then shop the **** to the taxman for doing a homer and not claiming the income to the taxman.

thats good!!!! i really like that...

Cheers matey

thesyn 06 July 2007 08:41 PM

Chancers definitely. The only mistake you can make at the moment is to respond to them!

EOEUMC 06 July 2007 09:45 PM

It seems that all that needed to be said has been said in a hopeful way to help ease your mind and conscience. I didn't really read in to too much detail, but what are the buyers hoping for? Are they hoping that you are going to reply to their letter or something else??
I would reply to their letter in the same way (eg: recorded) stating that you have seeked legal advice (by posting on here and asking questions (they don't need to know who you asked ;) )) and due to the fact that you have had the car for 3 months and it was sold/bought as seen then there is no way that you are liable for any of the problems/faults to the said vehicle :nono:

See what response to get from something like that :wonder:

michaelro 06 July 2007 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by rob2006 (Post 7086895)
I really feel like traveling the 5 miles to have it out with them but i no i shouldn't... so wont.

5 Miles away?
Careful they don't damage your property in some sort of twisted revenge :nono:

WRX marv 06 July 2007 10:03 PM

they don't have a leg to stand on,sold as seen & all that...if they do then i'll be going to the cab about the **** what sold me my scooby for a new engine,i ony had it 3 weeks before the big ends went

funkyspider 06 July 2007 10:26 PM

I agree with the other posters, do nothing other than take advice from CAB or someone with the correct legal knowledge. Don't respond either verbally or especially in writing. If they contact you by phone simply state that you have nothing to say and the matter has been passed to your solicitor who will contact them as required. Don't say things such as I want to see receipts etc as that has tones of acceptance and will just give them time to prepare things.

Hope it gets resolved.

98RED 06 July 2007 10:48 PM

Both my brother and brother in law have had experiences with these chancers after selling cars sold as seen nothing has ever come of the threats, the brother in law sold an old stag and when he responded with do what you like all they could respond with was we know where you live!
Still nothing, SOLD AS SEEN, YOU HAVE NO WORRIES AS NO COURT WOULD ENTERTAIN IT.

GeoffMM 06 July 2007 11:08 PM

really i woudl try not to worry

if you are a private seller and not linked to any motor trade it is sold as seen so long as you have not lied in any way during any of your written statement s to him.

Definately DO NOT PAY. You dont have to end of!

if he takes you to small claimes court it will get thrown out straight away and then cost him further!!

jods 07 July 2007 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by jjones (Post 7086484)
Caveat emptor

unless you are a dealer then you have no obligation at all, sold as seen.

don't even reply to their letter, don't enter into a battle with them, you have nothing to worry about.

JJ is right - along with everyone else on the thread saying - Forget about it. They haven't got a leg to stand on.

Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware.

Private sale - sold as seen - not misrepresented.

I wouldn't even bother wasting my time going to the CAB.

Send the letter back with a note saying -
"Private Sale, sold as seen. Now fook off gaylord"

jods 07 July 2007 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by ONE 234 (Post 7086556)
that last statement is wrong, unless you missed a comma out.
a dealer has a responsibility under the sale of goods act (merchantable quality).

Are you sure your name isn't ONE KERR :wonder:

jods 07 July 2007 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by WRX marv (Post 7087267)
they don't have a leg to stand on,sold as seen & all that...if they do then i'll be going to the cab about the **** what sold me my scooby for a new engine,i ony had it 3 weeks before the big ends went

Why is HE the ****?

:wonder:

ONE 234 07 July 2007 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 7088155)
Are you sure your name isn't ONE KERR :wonder:

then your should be "jobbie" as that seems to be your IQ.

dantastic 07 July 2007 04:00 PM

When you sell a car you should give the buyer a receipt that should say sold as seen and approved followed by (new owners name followed by their signature) make two copies and retain one for yourself also include no warranty or guarantee is either offered or implied. what sort of receipt did you give them?

PPPRob 09 July 2007 10:53 AM

Only 2 days left until you have to pay up :lol1:

Any change mate??? Have you heard any more?

:thumb:

Gear Head 09 July 2007 12:25 PM

Absolute idiots. Just ignore it mate, you're not a dealer and in your own 'non-mechanics' opinion, you 'thought' it would pass an mot, you never it said it would. Besides, how do you know how the car has been treated since the sale?
They just sound like scammers, I wouldn't even think about getting worried! :D

WRX_Dazza 09 July 2007 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by funkyspider (Post 7087415)
I agree with the other posters, do nothing other than take advice from CAB or someone with the correct legal knowledge. Don't respond either verbally or especially in writing. If they contact you by phone simply state that you have nothing to say and the matter has been passed to your solicitor who will contact them as required. Don't say things such as I want to see receipts etc as that has tones of acceptance and will just give them time to prepare things.

Hope it gets resolved.

Wise words...!!!

Fingers crossed for you mate :thumb:

lestippp 09 July 2007 01:08 PM

No worries on this mate, they are trying to pull a fast one and are clearly a bit :cuckoo: , ignore it and if they start with threats... call the fuzz!

Matt_taylor 09 July 2007 01:10 PM

dont worry about it mate, sodl as seen! job done!

interesting to know their response!

rob2006 09 July 2007 03:13 PM

not heard anything... yet!

I was in 2 minds as to whether or not i should call into the C.A.B and see this "Susan" when i finally decided i would.... it was closed!

I'd like to know what grounds this "Susan" has for leading these tosse*rs into believing they have a case against me.

Hol 09 July 2007 04:41 PM

IMHO, the only concern you would have is the welding.

Ring around your local solicitors and see if any of them will agree to a 'fixed fee' interview. Its not welll known but they can agree top see you about any legal advice matter for an 'agreed up front price', when they are not very busy.
The Law Society

For £20-30, you could end up with clear advice and even the option of a free letter sent to them by your lawyer, telling them they have no case against you.

Don't ask how I know this sort of thing though! ;)

Dee NI 09 July 2007 05:45 PM

Just read the list they had made out that needed done to have the car MOT worthy. Why is anti freeze on it? I don't ever recall the test man checking if I had anti freeze in. he would have ended up like Freddie Kruger if he did as i'm usually running late for any test and have to give the car I good old roasting to make it on time!

David Lock 09 July 2007 06:10 PM

1) If it's a genuine private sale then it's tough on them

2) CAB are almost bound to say "well contact the seller and see what he has to say". "Susan" is not going to tell you what she said anyway.

3) If he'd actually had an MOT done and failed as his list then that would be more realistic, not that it makes any legal difference. But just on some grease monkey's opinion. What a joke.

4) I don't see any harm in writing a polite reply just acknowledging his letter saying car sold as seen and accepted on private basis and you cannot accept any responsibility after conclusion of sale. Say nothing else except perhaps the phrase "I regret that I cannot respond to any further correspondence in this regard".

:)

rob2006 26 July 2007 12:09 AM

Well a quick update...

Been over 2 weeks now and i've heard nothing from either the C.A.B nor the twit i sold the car to..

LOL...

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 26 July 2007 12:18 AM

When ever i sell a car i do a letter that describes the car they are buying with the reg number, chassis number and engine number etc along with the words "This car has been inspected by the buyer and they are happy with its condition and the car is SOLD AS SEEN and any future problems that may occur is the responsibility of the new buyer/owner".

Did they get an AA inspection or similar, its the responsibilty of the buyer to check the car thoroughly and its not down to the seller to point anything out or give out advice whether it MAY or MAY NOT pass an MOT inspection as your not a qualified MOT inspector so you can`t give that sort of advice.

Tell him in so many words to basically DO ONE.

Ian Cook 26 July 2007 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by rob2006 (Post 7086895)
My xsara was in really good condition and as he said there is no way it was rotten, she must have pranged it.!

If it was a she that bought it, i would suspect the MOT friend to be conning her anyway, plus as has been said before they should have contacted you before any work was completed as now they cant prove what it was like before hand, or even if any work was done at all. Dont be surprised if Susan at CAB doesnt exist either ! There seems to be loads of missing items from that list for the work thats allegedly been done. ie No brake fluid or mention of re bleeding the brakes as they took both of the rear calipers off allegedly.

Wouldnt worry about it.

andyxros 26 July 2007 12:38 AM

na you wont hear anything i shouldn't imagine.. i sold a layland d.a.f horse box 2 year ago he took it for a hard test drive paid for it straight up only exchanged money and docs no recepts silly i know but i thought the thing was tip top and only selling it due to her horse being put down. got a phone call an hour later saying engine blown up threats with 1000 quid for fix got a silicitors letter couple o days later just ignord it as advised by my scilicitor hear nothing since sold as seen in my book..