ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   My sympathy is wearing thin... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/609661-my-sympathy-is-wearing-thin.html)

Infractfree 30 May 2007 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 6968985)
Like it is already in the UK.

.......and as it most certainly is in Portugal. If anyone is incompetent here it's the parents.

Sonic' 30 May 2007 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Neverguess (Post 6969028)
That was the dad, had to come back for a meeting apparently. Mother stayed in Portugal with the children.

Thought so, never can trust *any* of the media to get their stories correct, the simplest of facts and they still get it wrong :rolleyes:

DCI Gene Hunt 30 May 2007 08:56 AM

They should now be prosecuted for breaking the Law, as a lesson to others.

SiPie 30 May 2007 08:57 AM

Thye fact that they can manage it in the wake of such a nightmare gains maximum respect from me.
Sorry.... but they'll gain NO respect at all from me

You see people everyday keeping it topgether until after the funeral etc....it only falls to bits when you have closure. This is something this family don't have so understandably they are busy doing what they can.

Especially considering the guilt that must be ripping them to bits at the moment. Damned sure I'd be keeping myself busy :mad:

TelBoy 30 May 2007 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 6969022)
There's something not quite right about this whole thing, too calm, to collected, as SiPie says they seem quite at ease to leave their other children and fook off to see the Pope.

So their choices are; see the Pope and hope that the additional publicity might help in some way, or, because of the twins, stay put in Portugal and carry on as before, or drag them all the way to Italy just so that they can physically "see" them.

Come on, those kids have probably got armed guards around them at the moment, there is absolutely NO appreciable risk from the parents leaving them. Whether a trip to the Vatican will make any difference is another matter.

Matteeboy 30 May 2007 08:59 AM

Si - Fair enough but the fact that you and I are writing about it means that what they are doing is working.

TelBoy 30 May 2007 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 6969032)
Thought so, never can trust *any* of the media to get their stories correct, the simplest of facts and they still get it wrong :rolleyes:

Where and when was it reported that the mother had returned to the UK?

Sonic' 30 May 2007 09:06 AM

It wasn't Tel,

It was reported this morning that *both* parents had NOT left Portugal since Maddie went missing

OllyK 30 May 2007 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 6969010)
What evidence do you have that those pics were staged? None, because they weren't.

Errr - they made no secret that it was a staged event, it was even announced as such on GMTV.

TelBoy 30 May 2007 09:08 AM

Again, where and when, Sonic? You can't just criticise "the media" like that without being specific. The father's brief return to the UK was widely reported.

OllyK 30 May 2007 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 6969021)

It was also on the news this morning on the radio that they are going to see the pope and it is the first time they have left portugal since Maddie went missing, I am almost certain they came back to England, and then went back out to Portugal

The father came back to the UK, don't think the mother did though

TelBoy 30 May 2007 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by OllyK (Post 6969068)
Errr - they made no secret that it was a staged event, it was even announced as such on GMTV.

"As such", on GMTV? Ok, if we're resorting to breakfast telly's opinions, i'm not going there.

Sonic' 30 May 2007 09:11 AM

It was on Radio One News this morning, approx 8.30am

I know the Father returned to the UK, I saw his pictures plastered all over the tabloids

My point is that this morning on the 8.30 news on Radio 1, it was said that the Parents are to visit the Pope, and it will be the 1st time that THEY have left Portugal since Maddie went missing

TelBoy 30 May 2007 09:13 AM

Ok well i didn't hear it, Sonic, so can't comment, but if that's what they said then yes they made an error.

OllyK 30 May 2007 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 6969078)
"As such", on GMTV? Ok, if we're resorting to breakfast telly's opinions, i'm not going there.

They had been in touch with the press to tell them thay would be taking the walk, they didn't want to answer questions but they were happy to be filmed taking the walk. That's a staged event.

TelBoy 30 May 2007 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by OllyK (Post 6969102)
They had been in touch with the press to tell them thay would be taking the walk, they didn't want to answer questions but they were happy to be filmed taking the walk. That's a staged event.

I'll eat my hat if it was the parents who made that information available, rather than friends or relatives who thought/hoped the pictures would raise public awareness. Don't tell me you think the mother carrying the girl's bed toy was deliberate too?

Matteeboy 30 May 2007 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 6969092)
Ok well i didn't hear it, Sonic, so can't comment, but if that's what they said then yes they made an error.

You mean you use your own judgement to process and evaluate information rather than using second/third/fourth hand information and heresay?

Wierdo ;)

Devildog 30 May 2007 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rannoch (Post 6968879)
I feel dreadfully sorry for Maddie McCann who was stolen away in the night by god knows who to suffer god knows what. I also feel sickened by the thought as the parent of a young child that it might happen to my family, which I believe is where the real angst for most of us is.

However my sympathy has started the wear a little thin.

The parents, who regularly left their three children alone in the apartment whilst on the original holiday, are now flying around Europe on a private Gulfstream Jet, they have an audience with the Pope, they are staying at the Ambassador's apartment in the Vatican.

They raise £300,000 in a private, non-charitable fund with no public oversight and the Treasury announced that they were going to find a way so they didn't have to pay VAT (I wish I didn't have to pay VAT). The money is being used to fund a 'legal team'. I am confused, I have lost my daughter wtf do I need an expensive British legal team for.

And on top of it all, the slightest erring or wavering on the part of the Portuguese police and the family is up in arms about it.

Well maybe if they had been more attentive to their own duties to start with then this MAY not have happened.

And right at the end of this - they protest how much they love their kids and how much they are there for them - and yet pretty much most days since the event they have left their two young twins at the resort day care and have now left them in Portugal whilst on their trip to see the Pope.

At the same time around the world a child dies every fifteen seconds, usually because they don't have clean water to drink.

Something to think about.

Indeed, and my thoughts exactly.

I appreciate the need to maintain the publicity, but an audience with the Pope? What about every other family who has had a child abducted for reasons other than their own negligence?

Will the Pope be holding audiences with them as well?

Devildog 30 May 2007 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 6969072)
Again, where and when, Sonic? You can't just criticise "the media" like that without being specific. The father's brief return to the UK was widely reported.

Tel, get a grip dude. The media get it wrong more often than not.

TelBoy 30 May 2007 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 6969142)
Tel, get a grip dude. The media get it wrong more often than not.

Give me another specific example relating to this case. I'm not defending the media per se, but "more often than not" is an exaggeration by anyone's standards.

Devildog 30 May 2007 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 6969110)
I'll eat my hat if it was the parents who made that information available, rather than friends or relatives who thought/hoped the pictures would raise public awareness. Don't tell me you think the mother carrying the girl's bed toy was deliberate too?

If they didn't think that talking a walk along a public beach after their daughter had been abducted wouldn't gain significant media interest then they are even more naieve than their original act of leaving her in the first place suggests.

Of course carrying the bed toy was deliberate - for all the right reasons, but deliberate never the less.

Devildog 30 May 2007 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 6969156)
Give me another specific example relating to this case. I'm not defending the media per se, but "more often than not" is an exaggeration by anyone's standards.

I can't on this specific case, because I've been trying to avoid it like the plague lately, to be honest.

However if you are not either aware of, or accept that the media generally make mistakes with alarming regularity accross the entire news spectrum, then you are less savvy than I gave you credit for.

TelBoy 30 May 2007 09:42 AM

You're more cynical than me, Devildog!! I think using words like naive to describe their actions in the days after their daughter had been abducted is a little misplaced, i wouldn't be surprised if they can't even remember taking that walk now! I was referrring to the toy in the context of being "staged", not deliberate in the literal sense of the word.

TelBoy 30 May 2007 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 6969169)
I can't on this specific case, because I've been trying to avoid it like the plague lately, to be honest.

However if you are not either aware of, or accept that the media generally make mistakes with alarming regularity accross the entire news spectrum, then you are less savvy than I gave you credit for.

Alarming regularity isn't the same as "more often than not". That's the point i was making.

what would scooby do 30 May 2007 09:46 AM

Anyway big brother starts tonight so this will all be forgotten by the "british public"

Neverguess 30 May 2007 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 6969198)
Anyway big brother starts tonight so this will all be forgotten by the "british public"

I'd agree with you on that!! :(

Prasius 30 May 2007 09:54 AM

Rannoch - totally agree with you.

I can't believe parents that had "lost" a child (ugh, sounds like they misplaced their car keys or something) would then go galavanting off to Rome leaving their twins out of their care.

I'm not a parent but I would imagine if similar happend to me, I would be struggling to let my other children out of my sight ever.

EddScott 30 May 2007 10:02 AM

Personally, I wouldn't give a rats arse what the UK public or indeed anyone on the planet thought of me and my actions if I thought for a moment it would bring my daughter back safely. I actually find it more sickening that the media have lost interest.

They do appear to be strange people and when your in a foreign country on holiday the last thing you do is leave your child. These people have already shown their naivety of the world by thinking their child would be safe alone. The media could quite easily manipulate these people for their own ends to sell papers.

Big Brother gets a mention on this thread - what an excellent display of audience manipulation that is!? BB can portray any one of those people as the devil himself purely through manipulating what we see and hear.

Soon after she went missing a high ranking police officer from Portugal was on breakfast news and he said the reason why UK media is slating them is because they don't tell thier own media anything about serious crimes in case it cocks up the investigation (happens plenty here). Whether they really have acted incompetently remains to be seen.

I have no idea what has gone on their and I'm not saying that I'm right and the parents have something to do with it (if they did I think she would have been found by now). What I am saying is that if my daughter went missing I'd do every single thing I could to get her back - irrespective of what people thought of me.

I don't think the parents are involved and I also think the child was probably taken on to a boat and has never come back :( It also wouldn't surprise me if whoever did this was from the UK. Portugal and neighbouring spain addore kids.

DCI Gene Hunt 30 May 2007 10:02 AM

Wish I had a child..... then I'd 'lose it' ;) , meet Max Clifford, do a few Sunday papers then ask for an audience with U2.... Yeah! :thumb:

jaytc2003 30 May 2007 10:18 AM

Interesting the amount of kids who go missing yet they recieve little or no coverage

UK Police National Missing Persons Bureau

United Kingdom - Missing Children Website

I do hope they find her but there should be questions asked about the way in which the parents "look" after their kids