ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Spec c vs m5 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/589069-spec-c-vs-m5.html)

Terminator X 09 March 2007 07:41 AM

MM.

I'm disapointed in you :wonder: ;)

Originally Posted by madisonmonkey (Post 6727889)
TX, I hate to say it but, unless you're willing to drive like a complete nut there's no way you'd lose one in the twisties. Not even driving a great car like the WRlimited :norty:
(just to keep it clear, yes I drive a subaru :D)

madisonmonkey 09 March 2007 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by spec-cie (Post 6729328)
The 'rally circuit' is a tarmac circuit that's a lot more twisty and un-even than the 'tower circuit' ... its not a gravel track.

I realise that. The point I was making was that road cars are road cars and track cars are track cars. For 90% of my driving I would be perfectly happy behind the wheel of an E60 M5 ;) In the real world, on real world roads, you don't (or shouldn't) drive like you do on track and within those constraints the M5 is more than capable in 'the twisties'.

Real world driving situations,

Traffic light grand prix:
If you're willing to dump it at 5K subaru may just have it but only up to 50/60ish (check the vid)

Motorway acceleration:
You'll more than likely get you're ass handed to you. For in gear performance you can't beat large capacity. Ask an M5 driver what lag is...

Driving at normal speeds (90% of anyones driving):
Personally I'd rather be in a 5 series with all the toys and the option of running auto if I can't be bothered to change gear
(like every time I hit a jam)

So, one more time for Juggers, I don't own an M5 but if money weren't an issue an E60 would be close to the top of my list.
And yes I may well be playing devils advocate as I currently drive a noisey, uncomfortable, thirsty 340bhp spec C. And I love it :D:D:D

spec-cie 09 March 2007 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by madisonmonkey (Post 6731118)
In the real world, on real world roads, you don't (or shouldn't) drive like you do on track

Totally agree.

So here's another 'real world' situation: You get up early on a weekend morning and go out for a blast on nearly-deserted B roads that have bad surfaces with pot holes, gravel and mud all over the place. You come up to a blind corner at speed and, in your spec C, brake hard and late. You take up a central position in the road so you maximise visibility but can still nip into the side if there is traffic coming round the corner the other way. Seeing its clear you floor the accelerator and the car drifts slightly coming out the bend, then hooks up. You're on the power for 3-10 second and then braking hard for the next bend. Repeat for the next hour :)

On the same roads in the M5 I found: a) I had to brake much earlier because the M5 isn't as composed under hard braking on these types of road and the brakes aren't as good as the C's at slowing it b) I had to take up a much less central position in the road because the car is much bigger and heavier so you carry less speed into the corner c) the traction control comes on hard when you start to power through a tight bend on a very bad surface ... the M5s own form of lag :) d) once hooked up the acceration is savage but your're back on the brakes much earlier again

I've done this most weekends for the past seven years without coming close to an accident of any kind (although only the past two have been in a C). Perhaps not everyone's idea of 'real world' though.

Totally agree with your other real world situtations.

I don't own an M5 but if money weren't an issue an E60 would be close to the top of my list.

I'm lucky enough to be a position to buy one if I wanted to but it just doesn't float my boat ... doesn't mean your reasons for liking it are invalid, just not my thing.

And yes I may well be playing devils advocate

... its a possibility ... :D

spec-cie 09 March 2007 03:53 PM

In the real world, on real world roads, you don't (or shouldn't) drive like you do on track

Totally agree.

So here's another 'real world' situation: You get up early on a weekend morning and go out for a blast on nearly-deserted B roads that have bad surfaces with pot holes, gravel and mud all over the place. You come up to a blind corner at speed and, in your spec C, brake hard and late. You take up a central position in the road so you maximise visibility but can still nip into the side if there is traffic coming round the corner the other way. Seeing its clear you floor the accelerator and the car drifts slightly coming out the bend, then hooks up. You're on the power for 3-10 second and then braking hard for the next bend. Repeat for the next hour :)

On the same roads in the M5 I found: a) I had to brake much earlier because the M5 isn't as composed under hard braking on these types of road and the brakes aren't as good as the C's at slowing it b) I had to take up a much less central position in the road because the car is much bigger and heavier so you carry less speed into the corner c) the traction control comes on hard when you start to power through a tight bend on a very bad surface ... the M5s own form of lag :) d) once hooked up the acceration is savage but your're back on the brakes much earlier again

I've done this most weekends for the past seven years without coming close to an accident of any kind (although only the past two have been in a C). Perhaps not everyone's idea of 'real world' though.

Totally agree with your other real world situtations.

I don't own an M5 but if money weren't an issue an E60 would be close to the top of my list.

I'm lucky enough to be a position to buy one if I wanted to but it just doesn't float my boat ... doesn't mean your reasons for liking it are invalid, just not my thing.

And yes I may well be playing devils advocate

... its a possibility ... :D