ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Puppy problems -the dog type ;) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/589044-puppy-problems-the-dog-type.html)

Brun 10 May 2007 07:16 PM

I'm gonna hook up a radio this weekend out of pup's reach ;).
Don't really wanna do the kennel thing as it ain't cheap and we plan to move in the next few months.
I'm only down there between Fri night and early on Mon and spend much of my time playing / training the pup.
She doesn't get a walk first thing but is probably the right thing to do.
She's not fully house trained yet. It's difficult to tell when she wants to go out - she doesn't give you any real signs. When she does wanna go, she leaves the room does her business and comes back looking pleased with herself.
When she does her stuff outside (which is 80 - 90% of the time) she gets plenty of praise and a treat. I was never brought up with dogs so everything is a learning curve. The best thing i have learnt, is that if i ever have another dog, i shall be going for one which is a year old and knows right and wrong :thumb:
Thanks for the imput :thumb:

wrx-kris 10 May 2007 07:24 PM

the key to dog training is,
take out in the morning first thing straight after work and before you go to bed, that way the dog will (usually within a month) get in to a routine.

the stereo is a great idea, i do the same for mine :)

try the above, i wish i did with our first staff (which was stolen! :mad:)
worked a treat on our new one....

:thumb:

jonathan100 10 May 2007 11:20 PM

Might sound a stupid question but is the pup having a proper walk in the morning befor being left for that amount of time?
My lab has a good hours wall in the morning off the lead round the local woods. as soon as he gets back in he will normaly sleep till about 2ish.
I don't mean to sound harsh mate cuz from reading your post the dog obvously has a very loving home. 8 hours a day is a long time to leave a dog alown.
Try and find toys (kongs etc) where the pup has to use it's brain to work for the treats. mentaly stimulating the dog will tire it out quicker.

The main things a dog will do if it needs the loo. if you see the dog walking round the house sniffing with his her tail up they need to go. dogs are very clean animals and going to the loo infront of you is somthing they don't like to do. just keep an eye on him/her if they go out of the room wait a few secs then follow them. Best rule is just take them out to the garden every hour and after eating and when they go give them lots of fuss. take them out the same door every time so the dog will learn that when it needs to go it just goes to that door.

Devildog 16 May 2007 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 6913157)
I'm gonna hook up a radio this weekend out of pup's reach ;).
Don't really wanna do the kennel thing as it ain't cheap and we plan to move in the next few months.
I'm only down there between Fri night and early on Mon and spend much of my time playing / training the pup.
She doesn't get a walk first thing but is probably the right thing to do.
She's not fully house trained yet. It's difficult to tell when she wants to go out - she doesn't give you any real signs. When she does wanna go, she leaves the room does her business and comes back looking pleased with herself.
When she does her stuff outside (which is 80 - 90% of the time) she gets plenty of praise and a treat. I was never brought up with dogs so everything is a learning curve. The best thing i have learnt, is that if i ever have another dog, i shall be going for one which is a year old and knows right and wrong :thumb:
Thanks for the imput :thumb:

Brun,

A crate is cheaper than new carpets/furniture, etc :)

Its absolutely essential she gets a good walk before she's left.

As for house training, as posted above - routine. Going to be nigh on impossible while she's being left for so long during the day though.